I have a legacy its 2years old. The bass makes it sound like it's underwater on the drive channel. I've taken it to repair shops and they say everything is fine when it doesn't sound good enough. That said I have not been using the closed back because I lost the board... Also whenever I play live with my band it craps out right before we go on and it's fine after... Like literally it plays fine for a while and it ends up losing all it's volume somehow and I've tried plugging it's own wall outlet and it does the same crap everytime. Any ideas? I'm about ready to sell it and save for a mark v...
maybe, ur in an underground city, like bioshock or something
Quote by Telestar
Trust me man, it's Smoke on the Water. Deep Purple only wrote one song.

My Gear:

Ibanez RG2EX1

Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Digitech Grunge Distortion pedal

Line 6 spider 3 75w
i would sell it, f u ck that thing
If you say Randy Rhoads isn't amazing, I will hunt you down (Same for Marty Friedman)Founder of Rhoads/Friedman pm if you want in..
"guitarists have a thing, where their guitar is like an extension of their penis.." well said, ozzy
Have you checked all the tubes in it? If the sound is cutting out there might be some loose power tubes. Also, check the bias on it.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
How would I go about checking the bias? By the way, I posted on Spiztles account because he's sitting next to me, I'm not impersonating him...
"Don't panic, everything is falling neatly out of order"
- Douglas Adams
With a multimeter. Did the amp come with a manual? If not, you can find one on Carvin's site, and it should tell you how to bias it. If not, then move on over to the tube sticky at the top of this forum for further instructions. I have a Randall MTS so biasing is easy as hell for me, might not be on most other amps.

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

But wouldn't those repair shops notice it? In fact they outright compliment my tone, and while I can compare it to a John Petrucci lead sound at times it doesn't have the weight in the sound to play rhythm. The clean tone sounds great its just the lead channel...
- Douglas Adams
Hmm... possibly. Have they looked at the amp inside and out? Is your power cord okay? Did you just recently get the amp or have you HAD it for these 2 years and are just now getting these problems? And repair guys could overlook the issue. Make sure your tubes are cool from the last time you played and see if any of your power tubes are crooked.

Stupid name.

Quote by Shinozoku
Hmm... possibly. Have they looked at the amp inside and out? Is your power cord okay? Did you just recently get the amp or have you HAD it for these 2 years and are just now getting these problems? And repair guys could overlook the issue. Make sure your tubes are cool from the last time you played and see if any of your power tubes are crooked.

I have many power cords that I don't know which is which anymore, since I run an ultimate attenuator and a g major in the fx loop. The techs which are all qualified to fix Carvin gear told me they even took it completely apart and put it back together again. I've had this problem ever since I got the amp I believe because I just recently got to hear what it really sounds like cranked with the attenuator, and I thought that was why it sounded like it did. I'm thinking in investing in new tubes and see what does to my sound but really I'm fed up at this point.
- Douglas Adams
Could the problem be your pickups? Weak pickups can have a great clean, but their crappiness will show through in the gain channel.

Stupid name.

Quote by Shinozoku
Could the problem be your pickups? Weak pickups can have a great clean, but their crappiness will show through in the gain channel.

This, but the Legacy is known for a less than awesome rhythm tone to go along with it's pretty cool lead tone so it may be time to get that Mark V if you're not digging it.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I would check how much power it drains from your wall outlet. you may not be supplying enough power to it. Are you plugging it into the same wall outlet as the other amplifiers?
Quote by Mike134
I would check how much power it drains from your wall outlet. you may not be supplying enough power to it. Are you plugging it into the same wall outlet as the other amplifiers?

I've had that problems at gigs with my band, where I'd have to seek out two extension cables to a lone outlet by itself but the problem would persist or happen later, which is what happened last night to the band and I when we played a coffee house show at our high school... It wasn't the Attenuator or the effects processor either, I just think the amp and the attenuator take too much power to run together, since the Ultimate is rated at 200 watts. Although I did just get it...
- Douglas Adams
Quote by mmolteratx
This, but the Legacy is known for a less than awesome rhythm tone to go along with it's pretty cool lead tone so it may be time to get that Mark V if you're not digging it.

Hmmm, they're V8's on a Nineties Ibanez RG... I've never really liked them and the volume drops a lot with the neck pickup, but we have another Ibanez and a strat I play with and the same crap happens.
- Douglas Adams
I don't know what your cabinet has gone through, so check the wiring make sure the speakers are wired right and ohms of the head match with the ohms of the cabinet. I think that you got something going on there.
AL
Quote by Adam Loeke
I don't know what your cabinet has gone through, so check the wiring make sure the speakers are wired right and ohms of the head match with the ohms of the cabinet. I think that you got something going on there.

That's a good call, it has two Vintage 30's running in stereo, and I think the Ohm resistance is 16 for each, so that means it should be on 8 Ohms right?
- Douglas Adams
It's a bad power tube. Had the same problem a few times. What is happening soundwise, your bass response is null. That low end get looser as the tubes age, then "fart noise".

Get some good tubes to replace the old ones. Stock tubes usually suck. I like JJ el34s. Grab a couple 12ax7's. I have only ever replaced the 1st one in the series on the 4 tube amps I have had.
Quote by MAYNARD
It's a bad power tube. Had the same problem a few times. What is happening soundwise, your bass response is null. That low end get looser as the tubes age, then "fart noise".

Get some good tubes to replace the old ones. Stock tubes usually suck. I like JJ el34s. Grab a couple 12ax7's. I have only ever replaced the 1st one in the series on the 4 tube amps I have had.

Alright that sounds like it'll be my first course of action, I have two matched pairs of Electro Harmonix El34's and I'll probably get Tung Sol or JJ 12aX7's...

Should I get the EL34's biased?
- Douglas Adams
Quote by Otnip
Alright that sounds like it'll be my first course of action, I have two matched pairs of Electro Harmonix El34's and I'll probably get Tung Sol or JJ 12aX7's...

Should I get the EL34's biased?

Yes