If regular guitarists were given a 7/10, I'd give a shredder 3 pts.
Does being successful truly make you a sell out? Can't you do your own original music and be successful because of it?
typical??

there's really no such thing as typical
Gear:
Fender MIA Strat w/EMG SA's
Fender Super 60
Boss RT-20 Rotary Sim
Ibanez AD-9 Analog Delay
EHX Big Muff

"Doctor Kindly Tell Your Wife
That I'm Alive, Flowers Thrive
Realise, Realise, Realise"
I'd rate shredders over regular guitar players. I admit I am a narrow minded asshat for doing so, but I don't care. I like fast playing
i think wat he means is would you rate someone who can only do solos over a person who generally has an interest in guitar and knows stuff about the instrument
I rate shredders lower than "normal" players. I dont care how many notes per second you can play if it sounds like ****.
Quote by Yakult
If I get a boner I generally pass out due to the massive amount of blood having to be redirected from my brain

Quote by DubStar92
I like to video record myself when I'm drunk. It's like a mini-movie. I love fapping to the sex scene.
ok, thats a weird question. Basically I think i would rate them very higly on the technical side, but low on the em,otive side. Hacving said that, bear in mind that shredders are not always aiming to create emotyive msuic, ratherm more in the vain of classica and jazz they aim more for technical prowes ansd the use of more interesting scales and in some cases progressions ion thier msuic, e.g. vai and satriania (shredders) vs clapton ("typical").
As guitar player i think people who can shred properly and get the emotion and tone they want are some of the best. They put in a LOT of time and dedication to get to that level of technical ability. I'd say 10/10

But as a musician, it depends on the persons music.
Quote by blynd_snyper
yes we all need answers to xboys questions hurry up goddam it

Quote by Kankuro
Damn you X-Boy!!!

Founder And Member Of The " I Don't Masturbate Club "

TURNED 18 TODAY !!! (22/02)
If they could shred, and play "typically", then I would rate them even higher than I would if they could only do one of the two.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
I find this thread uninteresting and dumb. I will not return to it.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
It's all part of guitar playing. I think someone that can shred but also slow it down and play absolutely beautiful solos where every note just seems to sing are the best. I like the latter the best over the two though.
We sailed through endless skies...

Quote by King Twili

if someone sigs this i will be fairly displeased.

Lady Gaga has a penis! >>EVIDENCE<<

i¯i▀▀▀i¯i‾°δ‾‾Pך]█████████████████████████
Last edited by Hellish_Wolf at Jan 24, 2009,
i'd say that as a musician, someone who knows all techniques is better off than someone who doesn't. but don't forget the fact that there is way more to guitar than shredding. i'd love to learn things like percussion guitar and better fingerpicking.

so really, seeing as quite a few shredders have an over-inflated self esteem (not all of us, though), i would rate musicians who know other things higher.
Last edited by restless_thrash at Jan 24, 2009,
Shut up, you goddamn loser.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
ok, thats a weird question. Basically I think i would rate them very higly on the technical side, but low on the em,otive side. Hacving said that, bear in mind that shredders are not always aiming to create emotyive msuic, ratherm more in the vain of classica and jazz they aim more for technical prowes ansd the use of more interesting scales and in some cases progressions ion thier msuic, e.g. vai and satriania (shredders) vs clapton ("typical").