Hey, my dad and i really want to make a guitar.
we have no tools and no idea about making an electric guitar.

for anyone who has made an electric guitar before, how did u know what to do, books? internet? trail and error?

thnks for your help.

jason
what im did/doing is i bought a crap guitar for the body and im changing everything on it...not quite done yet though
Stewmac.com will be an amazing resource

If you are just starting, the easiest might be to by a through neck and build sides for the guitar. That way you dont get to involved with fretting (which is prolly one of the more difficult prts)
Main Rigs
Guitars
Thineline tele with SD lil '59

Ibanez Artcore AM-73

Line 6 Variax 500

Effects

Line 6 X3 live
Digitech RP-500
Ibanez Weeping Demon

Amps
Roland JC-120
Rocktron VT-60
books internet = Yes

Melvyn Hiscocks (?) Building guitars book (can't remember the name)
UG is very helpful if you ask us a specific question
Loads of tutorial on Project guitar

Ask us a specific question... what do you wanna know?

Your going to need tools:
Jigsaw (if you plan on making more than one you should get a bandsaw)
Router
Palm Sander
Sand paper
Rasp
Files
Fret Press
Lots of knowledge
and some other stuff that i can't remember...

Beware, guitar building is VERY addictive

EDIT: Don't be discouraged by dicks here on UG. Give everything a go. build the neck yourself, fret it etc. For a starters build you may wanna do a bolt on neck joint, there one of the easiest.

Don't forget I am more than happy to help you out and give pictures/ diagrams of any parts etc.
Last edited by guitarcam123 at Jan 24, 2009,
wow, great/fast replies. thnx

um what i wanna do is make a gibson sg model guitar. are there any templates or design that i can copy or do i have to draw it myself
Quote by herberj7
Hey, my dad and i really want to make a guitar.
we have no tools and no idea about making an electric guitar.

for anyone who has made an electric guitar before, how did u know what to do, books? internet? trail and error?

thnks for your help.

jason

books. books. more books. some workshops on using the tools required would be great idea as well (unless your dad is already a good woodworker).

Be prepared to set aside a few grand on just the tools alone.. not to mention costs for finishing materials, and then pickups, circuitry, hardware.

as far as the neck goes. lots of people order necks and then build the guitar around that. this can make the work a little bit easier if you end up buying a neck-thru configuration.

happy building!

also, check out the guitar-building/customization forum for better help
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
If you wanna PM me i have a PDF file of a SG template.
Or you can go to the Ultimate Template thread and request one there, it will be quicker through me though.
Just PM me with your email address and look in your inbox