So is see all of these posts of people saying how they can tap and shred and all of that good stuff with everyone saying that this is what a good guitarist is. I hate the noise of shredding. It all sounds like beeping and just obnoxious as hell. Am I a bad guitarist if I don't go out of my way to learn how to shred?
You don't have to learn anything on guitar that you don't want to. It's all about what YOU want to do.
Shredding is just one style of playing you can learn. It's not mandatory.
Quote by Telestar
Trust me man, it's Smoke on the Water. Deep Purple only wrote one song.
i find shredding to be pretty awesome :@
but no, you dont need to learn it, but if you do learn it, it will unlock a whole new path to your guitar playing skills
I see you're not using the UG black theme

Originally posted by GOD
akm_202, i now announce you, king of awesome. You may bow down to me.
Here's my out-take on shredding: I find that it is what a bunch of people will judge you on. Like, people will judge how good a guitar player is by how fast they can play. Which is not a good way to judge really. You can definetly impress people with it, but it's definetly not mandatory.
Quote by Imme94
So is see all of these posts of people saying how they can tap and shred and all of that good stuff with everyone saying that this is what a good guitarist is. I hate the noise of shredding. It all sounds like beeping and just obnoxious as hell. Am I a bad guitarist if I don't go out of my way to learn how to shred?

A lot of shred can be annoying, it can be very scalar and without feel. That said, however, there are guitarists that overcome these stereotypes i.e. Jason Becker or Steve Vai. Shred probably won't do much for the average music listener, but as a guitarist you can appreciate their technique. But that said, learning to shred isn't necessary at all to play guitar
Last edited by silvadolla at Jan 24, 2009,
Quote by Imme94

You learn what you want but I disagree with your statement go listen to some paul gilbert or Racer X.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
I think of it in terms of removing the barrier that separates what you want to play from what you can play.

If you can get your technique to the standard whereby you can play any idea you can think of, you have achieved something majestic. Those idea MAY be fast, but in the end, technique doesn't equate to speed. Rather, speed will come from good technique.
Quote by Tallman
I think of it in terms of removing the barrier that separates what you want to play from what you can play.

If you can get your technique to the standard whereby you can play any idea you can think of, you have achieved something majestic. Those idea MAY be fast, but in the end, technique doesn't equate to speed. Rather, speed will come from good technique.

Listen to this guy.

many people say that shredding is lame and without feeling, but these guys havent been listening to the right ones.

and a good guitar player can shred, because speed is the by-product of good technique, good technique=a good guitar player.

a good guitar player is not the same as a good song-maker, take Kirk Hammet as an example, he is really fast, he can play lots of awesome stuff, but his solos arent always good, sometimes he comes up with awesome solos but other times they arent awesome, but he is a good guitar player.
I see you're not using the UG black theme

Originally posted by GOD
akm_202, i now announce you, king of awesome. You may bow down to me.