I'm not sure if this is the place to post this but I need some help for my 12 year old son who has been taking guitar lessons for 3 years. He can play a few songs but mostly a bunch of riffs like Jessica or Crazy Train. He is in between instructors right now.

What are some guitar songs that he might could play for the school show? He likes classic rock but he wants something with a solo that isn't just the same thing over and over.

He wanted me to get the music for some songs to see if he learn them for the show in 4 months. Are any of these doable? - ZZ Top - Just got paid, John Fogerty - Centerfield, Lynyrd Skynrd - Jessica.

What are some songs that he might could impress his friends with?
Just be like every other talent show guitarists and play Van Halen's- Eruption. (Also Jessica is by the Allman Brothers)
I think he will get a better reaction by playing variations of themes everyone knows. Like stars etc etc, he can always change em up
the problem with a single guitar, with no vocals, while playing in front of people is that the audience might not be able to "hear" the song so well when it's just one part. like for instance, my grandma will ask me to play old songs for her sometimes, and if i just play the chords, she'll say "so, when are you going to play that song i like?" or if it's the melody, she'll ask me to sing the words while playing the chords.
so, he's either going to have to practice a whole lot on one entire song to get it to sound pretty decent or learn to sing. jessica could work, but even then it's got a lot going on in it. just ask him to play the songs in front of you, and you act like he's not your son, but someone you're watching and see what works best. lol i hope that rambling helped somewhat.
He could try a short instrumental like Dee by Randy Rhoads? Something like that is fairly easy to learn and play, and it shows off some technical skills in a short sweet package.
I would suggest You Shook Me All night Long. (Also i believe Centerfold is done by The J. Geils Band)
Quote by Coastie01
Freebird

Seconded. It sounds challenging, but I learned it when I had three years experience, it's easier than it sounds.

And yeah, you may want to get an MP3 or CD of the song to plug into the PA so it isn't just one guitar.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Iron Maiden- Alexander the great.

But you got to have him sing it to earn points with the teachers a very good history lesson the song got me a A for a report i had to do on Alexander the great. I played it in History class my freshman year in HS.
He could play the guitar to a drum and bass back track. There area few sites out there that have some decent backing tracks.
Eric Clapton/Bluesbreakers - Hideaway is a good one. Not too difficult, instrumental.
Quote by DimeLvR
Iron Maiden- Alexander the great.

But you got to have him sing it to earn points with the teachers a very good history lesson the song got me a A for a report i had to do on Alexander the great. I played it in History class my freshman year in HS.

Ha, I passed my AP History exam by listening to that during the test. It was over Alxander the Great and I got a 100.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
Ha, I passed my AP History exam by listening to that during the test. It was over Alxander the Great and I got a 100.

Nice!! Its a good song its got a great melody, Maiden is prob the smartest metal band on the planet. I got the Idea from a friend Who just used the lyrics. I wanted to step it up a notch. It was a funny day When I was up I said Im going to play a Iron Maiiden song, Everyone was like WTF does Iron Maiden have to do with Alexander the great? But once I started singing it, it made complete sense to them. Tho I wasnt as good at the guitar so I skipped some parts like solos and fill stuff plus I had Time issues lol.