Hey, well ive decided i want to start writing m own solos and chord progressions, so i have a question:

I dont exactly want to know why chords are the way they are and all that, i more so want to learn about soloing in key and finding the key of chord progressions etc.

I have been reading and reading and just dont understand the theory, it doesnt really tell me about keys and soloing in key or anything. Can someone direct to a site or article that tells me moreso about writing guitar melodies?

Thanks
hmm, what you need is two things, firstly go and look up "chord leading" it explains how chord progressions work, for example I IV V etc.

Secondly how keys and scales and chords relate. Lets take C major as an example.

the notes are C, D, E, F, G, A, B and C. the notes of these scales can also be used to create the chords for these scales, which are:

C major - C E G
D minor - D A F
E minor - E B G
F Major - F C A
G major - G D B
A minor - A E C
B7b5- B F A D

Note how each chord is made up of note in the C major scale, but none outside.

Thats why there is no D major, cause you qwould nmeed an F#. and F# isnlt in the scale,. I hope that helops a little, but I suggest a good teacher is the way to go with theory.
Ive understood all of that roman numeral stuff where I, III and V make a major chord and flattening the 3rd will make the chored flat.

What im having most difficulty with is finding the key of a chord progression, and then soloing over it.
ok, well that is different.

You have a couple of different apporahces depending on the exact progression and type of music.

Lets take blues as an example, you would try and find the first chorsd of the progression, say A, then solo over it in the blues scale, minor pentatonic or a minor mode like the dorian.

Or lets say you had a jazzy prgression like Dm7 Cmaj7 Fmaj7 G7. In that case, even though the progerssion starts with dm, if you look it is actually a ca mjor progresion, but the C chord has been "substituted" by the dm7.

To solo over that progression you could use the C major scale. OR you could sue the D dorian mode, which is the same notes as thwe C amjor scale, but ionstyead of resting on the C, you come to land on the D note instead . The doors usded that one a lot.

Does that help?
Yeah, but say i use the C Pentatonic scale over a C major chord progression, i can play that C pentatonic scale anywhere on the fretboard right?
Yes, but if you are using a C minor pnetatonic over the C major chord, it is not going to sound right. If you play the C pentatonic at the fifth fret, it becomes the A minor pentatonic, which is also the C major pentatonic. So over a c major chord play the a minor pentatonic but instead of focusing on the A note, focus on the C note.
Thanks for trying man but im still as confused as anything. Thanks heaps for your help anyway
thats ok man. try soloing over blues bakcing tracks in Cto get started with, thir are a few good ones on youtube, and have a look for any books on thoery, the alfred ones are really good, or musicinas institute ones. Good lukc and sorry I couldn;t be of more help, don;t worry thouhg theory makes sesne eventualy, it just takes a while asnd donl;t try and learn it in big doses, just a little at a time.

Also try analysing progressions, Sya your favouruite song goes Am C Dm F Am G C, try to figure out the key and also the chords, for example that one is in C and the progression is VI, I, II, IV, VI, V, I. That should help you too.