1) You're gripping the pick way to hard
2) Maybe get a lighter pick, that one looks a little too heavy
3)Relax your arm you're too tense, try using your wrist more too.

edit: 4) Slow down, you're trying to go to fast the key is to start slow.
No means maybe
Last edited by pilgrimevan at Jan 24, 2009,
slow down, and get your wrist and your pick so they are comfortable, and your playing sounds clean, because right now playing clean and developing good technique take priority over playing fast, for you. get some good warm up exercises, that will help a ton too
If you say Randy Rhoads isn't amazing, I will hunt you down (Same for Marty Friedman)Founder of Rhoads/Friedman pm if you want in..
"guitarists have a thing, where their guitar is like an extension of their penis.." well said, ozzy
you hand looks kinda close to the neck pickup you shouldnt be picking up there

but i actully use my fingers along with my wrist for alt picking i kinda swivel my fingers
makes it way easier and faster
Quote by pinkfloyder1000
off topic
you mean to say Utter mess, udder would be the underside of a cow lol

lol sorry thats just my sense of humor
-|-\/\/()/\/_V/\/\()|_|(
=============)
Hm, well you say you try to use your wrist but you aren't really doing that. With the exercise you were playing in that video your elbow movement should be almost non-existent. I suggest watching videos of Paul Gilbert to see what wrist picking looks like. Then slow down, patiently practice, and go from there.

Quote by hightension01
you hand looks kinda close to the neck pickup you shouldnt be picking up there

It's mainly about the tone you're going for.
Last edited by fixationdarknes at Jan 24, 2009,
First of all, try relaxing your arm. Then curve your index finger inward and bring the middle thumb joint a bit back up. After seeing your trem video, its obvious you need to bring your arm forward to about the middle area between the trem and fretboard. Also, have your wrist parallel to the strings, not curved down or up. That may help with the wirst motions. Try curving your right hand into a loose fist instead of having the fingers support the index finger. Finally, don't be afraid to place your hand lightly on the strings. It'll help later when you have to mute unwanted strings for fast string crossing runs.
How do you people watch that John Petrucci 'Rock Discipline' stuff without falling asleep?
He could have made it a little more exciting.
It's just him sitting there...talking in that monotone voice...playing scales...and...zzzzzz.

Anyway, on topic--I saw the other video of your playing from a different angle.
Your wrist is definitely sticking out way too high.
Bring it down and try to focus on just using your wrist.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
You really need to slow down! Get a metronome, if you do not already have one, set it to a slower tempo (say 60 bpm) and play one note per beat doing whatever you were trying to do there making sure to be perfectly on every beat. This will take lots of patience. Once you are perfect at 60, or whatever bpm you start at, bring it up a bit (say 65...) rinse and repeat.

Maybe try downloading Rock Discipline or some other instructional videos, they explain things a lot better than I ever could. (not to mention they can play about 100000X better than I can).