Hey guys. I just picked up my Schecter Hellraiser C1-FR with active EMG pickups to play it for the first time in almost a week, and I noticed the bridge pickup isn't working right. The sound fades in and out (despite the volume knob being up all the way), and it makes a "crackling" sound. The neck pickup is perfectly fine. I noticed if I shake the pickup switch when it's in the bridge position, it crackles more and sometimes the sound cuts out completely. I tried changing the 9 volt battery, and it made no difference.

My guess is I may have somehow damaged the pickup switch, because I'm not exactly careful to be gentle with it. I have no idea what to do. I think I might take it to Guitar Center and see if they can help me. Has anyone had a similar problem? Any idea what's causing it, or if there is any way I can fix it? I've owned the guitar for about ten months without any serious problems, and the guitar was perfectly fine the last time I played it. It never leaves my house, so I don't have a clue how it happened.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Last edited by Rael0505 at Jan 25, 2009,
have you taken a look in the control cavity at all ? any noticeable disconnected/loose wires ?
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Hey Mikey, thanks for the response. I honestly have never even opened the control cavity on this guitar in all the time I've owned it. Looking at it now, I don't see anything that looks strikingly wrong, but I probably wouldn't be able to tell anyway. All wires seem to be attached. Nothing is broken as far as I can see. I'd take some pictures, but I won't have access to my camera until morning.
weird. does it still distort when you have the volume cranked, or does it fade in and out with a clean/semi-dirty tone ?
It does the weird volume fade in/out thing regardless of what amp I use, what cable I use, or what pedals I use. Also regardless of how high the volume knob is turned on the guitar. The tone actually sounds normal when it's not fading out or crackling, but that only lasts for about a second before it happens again. And like I said, shaking the pickup switch in the bridge position causes it to crackle more.

Does that answer your question?
k, so it's not a faulty volume pot, that's one possibility we can rule out. if the neck pup still works properly it can't be the output jack. so it really just comes back to the toggle switch, if nothing's disconnected or loose it's probably just a bum switch.
Well, suddenly the problem is mostly gone. It rarely cuts off anymore, usually only if I touch the pickup switch. Sometimes after changing the pickup switch, sound completely cuts off and I have to shake the switch a few times to get it working. All in all, it's better now than it was before... though I could see it getting worse again.

I think I should take this to guitar center and see what they'll do. I can still recreate the problem at will if I need to, and it still happens occasionally.

edit: yeah, it's getting worse again... this is really getting on my nerves.
Last edited by Rael0505 at Jan 24, 2009,
it's probably the switch. i just had the same problem. if you're handy with a soldering iron then it's a pretty easy fix.
within you lay everything
every key
every secret

untouched and in plain sight
Unfortunately I'm not at all. I'd be too afraid of damaging it. I think I'll see if Guitar Center will fix it for me... at least I've singled out the problem now.

Thanks a lot, everyone.
Before any random solderings, flick the pickup selector a few times, fast.

It cleans out the grime on the contacts.
Quote by konigstiger
PCSpeaker is right,

Damn right I am.

Bugera 333xl > Crybaby Wah > Marshall Guv'Nor > Boss SD1 > J&D Les Paul / Vintage Lemon Drop / Modded HSH Squier / Vintage Warp / Standard Squier Strat /Tanglewood Acoustic!
new batteries maybe?
i dunno never had actives before
This next band asked me to read this 'Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Molly Hatchet all had sex and now please welcome their two-headed baby 'Tenacious D '

myspace.com/dinosaur_sandwich
This used to happen to my 5 way selector switch.
OIL!
Get a bit of WD-40 and spray it in,jiggle it about and ur good to go.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
It's probably the battery. When my battery runs out it's always the bridge pickup that looses it's sound first. The crackling is also a sign of a dead battery, my EMGs do that too when the battery is dieing. Good luck!

E: you say you haven't played it for a week, did you leave it plugged in? If you leave it plugged in the battery drains quickly, unplug your guitar when you're not playing!
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Morley PWA Pro Series Wah
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Tales of Ale: http://www.talesofale.com
Last edited by Dardarian at Jan 24, 2009,
I never leave the guitar plugged in when not in use, and as I already said I tried replacing the battery and it didn't help (the battery is still good anyway).

I appreciate the advice guys. I still think I'll just take it to guitar center before trying anything myself. If they can't do anything, then I'll try to do it myself with some of your suggestions. Thanks again for all the responses.
get a can of compressed air from staples, and spray it into the switch while flicking it.

no need to open anything.

fukin GC will charge you $30 for a new switch and keep the guitar a week.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by Ian hawkins
This used to happen to my 5 way selector switch.
OIL!
Get a bit of WD-40 and spray it in,jiggle it about and ur good to go.

dont use WD-40. it attracts dust and contains silicone.

you use compressed air in a can or pot cleaner with lube.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Could someone please explain to me how spraying compressed air into the switch could fix it? Since it sounds like it would be impossible to accidentally damage my guitar with compressed air, I'd definitely be willing to try it myself. I might buy some tomorrow and see if it works, and if not I'll just drive to guitar center and let them keep repair it for me. Thanks.
not much to it.

a LOT of times, switches get a little bit of dirt in them.

the contacts don't touch correctly, and you need a little burst of air, or pot cleaner, sprayed into the switch to clear it out.

you spray and flick the switch.

spray and flick , flick flick.

if it's air, then that's all you do.

if you use a pot cleaner with lube, then you clean off any excess and let dry before plugging in again.

edit: if it's that a wire came loose, then no this wont work. but cans of air are cheap and useful cleaning computers, so it's probably worth the $3 to check.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Jan 24, 2009,
Just posting again to say that I just fixed it using a can of compressed air. Thanks a lot guys, I'm glad I don't have to drop it off at Guitar Center for a week.
Quote by Rael0505
Just posting again to say that I just fixed it using a can of compressed air. Thanks a lot guys, I'm glad I don't have to drop it off at Guitar Center for a week.

good stuff. glad you got it working properly again
then hang out in mine.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

hey, here i am, 7 years later, having the same problem. did you just spray the compressed air on the switch? from the inside of the guitar or inside? thanks.