Wondering if you have heard these pickups. I want to get rid of my duncan designed hums in my Kelly KE3. I think passive is the way to go and was think of going with a SD SH6 in the bridge and a JB in the neck. I plan on replacing the bridge pickup first. I live in a smaller city and have know way of trying the pickups out. Do you think the JB might be better in the bridge.?
FYI. I play mostly metal and hard rock, anything from floyd to slayer. My two amp are both solid state
Last edited by Sick Man at Jan 24, 2009,
Quote by Sick Man
Wondering if you have heard these pickups. I want to get rid of my duncan designed hums in my Kelly KE3. I think passive is the way to go and was think of going with a SD SH6 in the bridge and a JB in the neck. I plan on replacing the bridge pickup first. I live in a smaller city and have know way of trying the pickups out. Do you think the JB might be better in the bridge.?
FYI. I play mostly metal and hard rock, anything from floyd to slayer. My two amp are both solid state

dont put either of them in the neck, i can recommend the '59 though, great neck pup.

for the bridge the JB, sh6 and sh11 are all good choices IMO, listen to the clips on the duncan site to get a better idea and pick exactly what you want. you can't really go wrong though
Ive been listening to those clips for a while, but they all sound so close. If they could play Angle of death on each pickup, it would be more helpful to me. I was debating betwwen the JB or Distortion for the bridge, but leaning toward the JB. I see SD sells the Hot Rodded Hum Kit which has a SH-2n for the neck and JB brige. I might go with that, but didn't know of any other duncans that work good for the neck besides the Jazz and '59. Say I'm going with the JB for the bridge, what would YOU choose for the neck.
Quote by Sick Man
Ive been listening to those clips for a while, but they all sound so close. If they could play Angle of death on each pickup, it would be more helpful to me. I was debating betwwen the JB or Distortion for the bridge, but leaning toward the JB. I see SD sells the Hot Rodded Hum Kit which has a SH-2n for the neck and JB brige. I might go with that, but didn't know of any other duncans that work good for the neck besides the Jazz and '59. Say I'm going with the JB for the bridge, what would YOU choose for the neck.

What we would choose for the neck is really irrelevant as this is your guitar. If you can't hear much difference in the sound clips you probably wont hear much difference when they are in your guitar. Personally I like the 59 better in the bridge then the neck.
I listened to the jazz and '59 over an d over last night and it seemed that the '59 had more of the tone I was looking for. I was stuck on the JB for the neck, since it seems to be more popular of a choice, and they're also found on the kelly pro, but the SH6 distortion seems to sound better for my style of music, so I think I'll go with a '59 in the neck, and a SH6 Dist. in the bridge.
Just looking for opinions here, but do you think there will be a good difference between the Dunc Designed and the actual Seymour duncans?
I decided against the JB last night and I'm set on the SH6 now, but a looked into the custom 5 today(I think same as SH5) and now I'm thinking on it. I really like the sound clip I heard of the SH5. I'm sure either of them would offer more gain and overall better sound quality than my current DD's. I love to play solos with squeeling harmonic but just can't get that Dimebag sound no matter how perfect I slice the string.What you think?
Quote by Sick Man
I decided against the JB last night and I'm set on the SH6 now, but a looked into the custom 5 today(I think same as SH5) and now I'm thinking on it. I really like the sound clip I heard of the SH5. I'm sure either of them would offer more gain and overall better sound quality than my current DD's. I love to play solos with squeeling harmonic but just can't get that Dimebag sound no matter how perfect I slice the string.What you think?

all 3 SD's with custom in the name are renowned for having really good harmonic response, my custom custom in the bridge certainly does and i believe its more so with the custom and less with custom 5.
I have the 59/SH6 combo in my NJC Mockingbird. I think its a very versitale combo. I also have the Hot rodded Humbucker set in my LP, which is also very versitale.
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
Quote by walker-rose
I have the 59/SH6 combo in my NJC Mockingbird. I think its a very versitale combo. I also have the Hot rodded Humbucker set in my LP, which is also very versitale.

I was debating between the Hot rodded set, but thought the '59 may be better for my setup than the jazz. Seeing you have tried all the pickups I'm considering, do you think the JB or the SH6 Dist. is better for high gain/distortion? Also, if you swapped them to upgrade, did you notice a pretty good difference from your old pups?
I used to hate the JB but loved the Jazz in my Soloist because I thought it was to shrill, until I had to play a gig with a whole bunch of dudes(6 on stage at once). The JB cut right through the mix.
When I first started looking into these SD's, it seemed everyone had the JB's, and said its fine for metal. But the SD Distortion sound like it would be the maserati. So the JB is out of the linup. I'm placing my order tomarrow most likely. I'm going for the '59 in the neck for sure, and was thinking the SH6 Dist. in the bridge, but that SH5 (custom 5?) really sounds good too, and will maybe go with that instead. Is there a different custom besides the SH5 you guys know of? Is there a best one for metal, and I mean the heavy $***?
Last edited by Sick Man at Jan 25, 2009,
Quote by Sick Man
When I first started looking into these SD's, it seemed everyone had the JB's, and said its fine for metal. But the SD Distortion sound like it would be the maserati. So the JB is out of the linup. I'm placing my order tomarrow most likely. I'm going for the '59 in the neck for sure, and was thinking the SH6 Dist. in the bridge, but that SH5 (custom 5?) really sounds good too, and will maybe go with that instead. Is there a different custom besides the SH5 you guys know of? Is there a best one for metal, and I mean the heavy $***?

well mark mortons sig guitar has a '59 in the neck and the bridge (EDIT: my point is theres no such thing as a metal pickup, amp is very important)

as for the different custom, i have the SH11 (custom custom) and i love it, great clarity and cuts through well, no mud and good harmonics. I've never played a JB but from the clips i've heard and comparing that to the sh11 i'd say the sh11 is kind of like a smoother version of the JB.

but really man i dunno, its all pretty subjective
Last edited by Diamond Dave at Jan 25, 2009,
I have an 59 in the neck and a sh6 in the bridge. I can +1 this combo, gives very aggressive metal tone in the bridge and a the 59 gives a very smooth and rounded tone that is perfect for leads.
Quote by Sick Man
Thanks for the straight up answer man. I like that. I'm forgetting the JB's then.

Idk I always thought that the JB was more than enough output and that anything higher up starts to get muddy...

Personal preference of course.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
I agree, it all gets muddier after the JB. You will really be limiting yourself if you get a hotter, muddier pickup. LOG use the JB, Dave Mustaine always did as well. I even put the JB in one of my old 7 string shecters and it was great for a low tuned B. I had the Jazz for the neck... the same combo Mustaine had.

It truly depends on your amp... I have seen sooo many ****ty guitars, say a stock a ibanez with stock ibanez pups, sound like 3000 dollar ones on nice amps.
GEAR:
SCHECTER LOOMIS FR
LTD EC-1000
LTD DV-200
Quote by Diamond Dave
well mark mortons sig guitar has a '59 in the neck and the bridge (EDIT: my point is theres no such thing as a metal pickup, amp is very important

I know you can play any type of music on any amp, but some just fit the bell a little better. As far as a Metal Pickup, What about the SD LW Metal. That is a metal pickup, even though you could play the Jonas Geeks if you wanted to. But is goes best with the tones of metal, being a metal pickup. The amp does make the biggest difference, I do know this, but need new pickups and just wanted some opinions. I'm going to order pretty quik here and will get the '59 in the neck, and either SH6 or custom SH5 in the bridge. I decided DiMarzio wasn't for me on this guitar. '59 neck, SH6 or SH5 bridge. Got to run hear, but if you have more suggestions, i'd appreciate them.
You know what's funny, the LW/B-O Metal sound like crap. The Custom is quite a bit more trebly than the DD, which is more mid focused (don't get me wrong, it's still quite treble-y).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I think that both the JB and the SH6 are good for metal, the SH6 is a little bit muddier than that JB though.

Also, I play through a Bugera 6260 if that helps you any.
Quote by asfastasdark

Walker Rose.
I dont have anything that fancy, but want to trade my crate pract. amp and Carvin PA amp in to get a better amp, so maybe in the near future I'll be playing through a tube amp. I play mostly on my Carvin since it has more features like 5 band EQ and freq adjustment. When you get it set up right, it seems to sound better than some valve amps ive played.
So, I looked at what SD's other artists use. I was think of going with custom 5 cause I thought Mark Morton used that, but turns out I got mixed up. He uses the Custom SH5. So the SD SH5 must be just SD custum, right?
Last edited by Sick Man at Jan 25, 2009,
I wish I could actually try these things before hand, but maybe that wouldn't even help that much. Its between the Custom and the Distortion. I see LOD uses the custom and I do play there songs and stuff like it, but the dist. seems nice too. Hell, they both would work and maybe would even tell the difference with the amp I have.
I think the Custom 5 and the '59 would be a good combo.
Quote by asfastasdark

Walker Rose.
I was was almost sure I'd go with the Distortions yesterday, but I think I might go with the custom sh-5 now. When you say custom 5, you mean the SH-14, or the sh5.
I have a 59' and a custom custom in one of my guitars, and LOVE the combo. But it is your guitar, and the sound you're looking for is probably different than mine, but I don't think you can go wrong with that combo.
Part-o-Caster
Ibanez Destroyer
Ibanez 321MH
Quote by Sick Man
I was was almost sure I'd go with the Distortions yesterday, but I think I might go with the custom sh-5 now. When you say custom 5, you mean the SH-14, or the sh5.

yep, 90% sure everyone here saying custom 5 means the sh14

Quote by vizun
I have a 59' and a custom custom in one of my guitars, and LOVE the combo. But it is your guitar, and the sound you're looking for is probably different than mine, but I don't think you can go wrong with that combo.

+1

thats what i went with and i reckon its great as well, very versatile and can nail rock to metal IMO and can do cleaner styles quite well also.
I think I'll go with the SD Custom (sh5) or the Distortion. The Custom 5 and Custom Custom SH11 seem nice, but looking into the artist that use them, the SH5 and SH6 seems to fit more to what I play. I just got done reading countless reviews on other pages and leaning more towards the custom. I will for sure be getting the '59 in the neck.
Say, ive heard bad things about the EMG hz nonactive pups, but had some emg sc's in a fender of mine ages ago and they were pretty decent. Whats your take on the Hz H4?
Also, I see the invader could also work as a neck pickup. I play alot of slayer, LOG, Pantera and loce alot of distortion and high pitched harmonics. Seems less versitile, but do you think an Invader in the neck and a SH6 or SH5 in the bridge would be overkill?
Last edited by Sick Man at Jan 26, 2009,
i've never played a guitar with HZ's or the invader but ever since i joined this forum and while hovering around before that i have NEVER heard a good thing said about them.

apparently the HZ's are just complete meh and just about anything else for the price will be better and the invaders have too much output and are muddy
I will have a guitar with EMG actives some day, but not in this guitar. I figured I'd wait till I get a BIGGER amp and then buy a Hellraiser, which already has EMG's. I did want to asks this though. I see the Duncan live wire and blackout sets are running just a little more than if I bought the SD Distortion and '59 together. Do you think they thier a little overkill for my Carvin 100watt SS amp?The amp does have a 5 band Graphic EQ so has quite a bit of adjustabilty. Or would it be better to wait till I get a larger, non SS amp to move onto the actives?
Quote by Sick Man
I will have a guitar with EMG actives some day, but not in this guitar. I figured I'd wait till I get a BIGGER amp and then buy a Hellraiser, which already has EMG's. I did want to asks this though. I see the Duncan live wire and blackout sets are running just a little more than if I bought the SD Distortion and '59 together. Do you think they thier a little overkill for my Carvin 100watt SS amp?The amp does have a 5 band Graphic EQ so has quite a bit of adjustabilty. Or would it be better to wait till I get a larger, non SS amp to move onto the actives?

If you sell that amp, what is your location and budget?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
If you sell that amp, what is your location and budget?

Wisconsin, and haven't thought too far ahead on it yet. In the Market? Or looking to sell/trade?
Quote by Sick Man

custom sh-5
Quote by asfastasdark

Walker Rose.