Poll: Should Hijabs be banned from Shops and Banks?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should Hijabs be banned from Shops and Banks?
Yes, both shops and banks
46 40%
No, not for either
40 34%
Yes, but only in banks
16 14%
I don't know
14 12%
Voters: 116.
Page 1 of 2
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24916449-661,00.html

I'm not sure whether I agree with this or not. (no racism intended either )

On one hand, a non-Islamic person could easily come in dressed with a hijab to conceal their face and rob the shop or bank.

But on the other hand, It is part of their culture and religion and they should be allowed to wear what-ever they want.

But if you aren't allowed to wear motor cycle helmets and the like into a bank, then why should Hijabs be an exception?

Opinions?
The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.
We should make all Muslims where them so they can be more easily identified when the genocide starts.

Seriously though, damn this is a toughy. I mean it is part of their culture, then again many places get robbed. I lean more toward letting them have it I guess. I just think how pissed off I would be if I couldn't wear a sacred part of my religion.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Paradoxical. But, I'm gonna have to give it thumbs up. You shouldn't be allowed to wear anything that can cover your face in a bank, religious reasons should not be an exception.

Niqābs shouldn't be allowed to be worn in shops, but normal hijabs should.
Quote by Zangetsu 101
Rolling Stone is to the music industry what TheOnion.com is to news.

Ambivalence.
Last edited by Deflection at Jan 24, 2009,
The solution is simple, stop being Muslim.

If everyone would just become White Christians we wouldn't have these problems.
Quote by soulflyV
Prepare to have every orifice in your body occupied by a dwarf.
Quote by Say Ocean
inb4peoplewhotakethiscomment2srsly

The satire is too obvious.
Quote by Zangetsu 101
Rolling Stone is to the music industry what TheOnion.com is to news.

Ambivalence.
dude, i remember having this exact argument 3 years ago when i worked in a supermarket and a young woman wanted to buy smokes...

basically i asked her for i.d. sure enough here face in on her license, but she refused to show me her real face. so i kindly told her to get the **** out.

and that's basically my stance on the matter, they put the business at risk both in respect to theft and in respect to serving minors (which are both incredibly costly to the company).

i get the whole 'it's a part of their religion' thing and i would be pissed off if someone told me i couldn't actively participate in my religion as well. BUT they do live in Australia now, this is not to sound ethnocentric but "when in Rome do as the Romans do" or in this case "when in the supermarket do as the other shoppers do".

To me it's a basic level of respect that they need to have for the country they live in. We give them the freedom to dress as they choose, but when it comes to universal rules, no-one should be exempt.
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
i belong to the whole atheist agnostic mindset so i believe that there is no real need for hijabs, and it's not that difficult to take of your damn hood/helmet.
.|......|....|
=--
.............|

an unsaturated fattylolcid.
My boss at work always tell's me to call her over when there is someone with a hijab coming through my register.

At first i just thought she hated muslims :/
The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.
But if we ban those then do we ban scuba masks from shops. Or ski masks from sporting good stores? Or do we ban masks from Halloween stores?

I don't think it's a safety concern I honestly believe it's close minded individuals trying to ban things that aren't common in Western society.
Religion is not an excuse.
No matter what, schools have the same argument.

But if someone came to school with a jedi robe and said it was their religion they would be punished.
Because any potheaded carpenter can start a religion.

There is no need for religion in modern society.
Seriously?
How dumb is everyone?
Quote by Eat_0n_Kent

But if someone came to school with a jedi robe and said it was their religion they would be punished.

Seriously?
How dumb is everyone?

What about the societies among us that aren't so modern?
Eh, around here we get supermarkets specific to the diets of muslims.
Quote by Eat_0n_Kent

Seriously?
How dumb is everyone?

Why?

Freedom of Religion is part of the bill of rights. If you took off of work because of a religious holiday no matter what your religion is they have to let you off.
Quote by dio_dude
Old news is old.

I know, but I thought about it earlier on cause I couldn't make up my mind
The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.
Quote by i_killed_bill
Why?

Freedom of Religion is part of the bill of rights. If you took off of work because of a religious holiday no matter what your religion is they have to let you off.

You do realize that not everyone on this site lives in the U.S.?

Right?

Now on to my next point...

It's just absurd to say religion should be abolished when it's effective at instilling good morals.

I think instead of trying to rid the developed countries of religion, people should focus on being peaceful and accepting everyone regardless of their beliefs, ethnic background, social background, etc.

That way, religion truly isn't an issue.
I'm siding with the no-face covering rule. Religion is NOT above the law, whether it offends people or not.
Quote by n to the k
^ you are wise

Quote by Maus24
There's been sooo many threads done on this; I don't even wanna hear that you used the searchbar. Staring at it and giggling does not count.
The worlds fu cked up and we lit the fuse, its all used up what you gonna do?
No. It should not be a crime to hide your face in public (like out on the street). If a shopowner feels that someone's face is being obscured, they are within their rights to ask them to remove anything that covers their face.

It's also worth pointing out that a hijab covers the hair and doesn't hide someone's face. I think a niqab is the face veil...

Also, wtf about helmets? Who wears a helmet to the shops?
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by Garret.
The solution is simple, stop being Muslim.

If everyone would just become White Christians we wouldn't have these problems.

dont be an a**hole..if one christian guy robbed my house,then should i think all christian should convert their religion?c'mon...
"If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?"
I voted yes, on the grounds that all religion and it's associated socio-political functions are obsolete and detrimental to society.

Religious clothing should be treated no differently to other clothing.
Quote by Meths
No. It should not be a crime to hide your face in public (like out on the street). If a shopowner feels that someone's face is being obscured, they are within their rights to ask them to remove anything that covers their face.

It's also worth pointing out that a hijab covers the hair and doesn't hide someone's face. I think a niqab is the face veil...

I do, when I rob them. Very handy for obscuring my mug from the CCTV.
I worked in a filling station for a while and I used to have to ask motorcyclists to remove their helmets when they came in to pay.

In fairness I do see why some shopowners want them to be removed, but they shouldn't be banned, just ask the people to remove the hajib if you're worried. I've been asked to remove my hood before.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Meths

*tries and fails to find a picture of those "Crash Turbans" from Only fools and horses*
Quote by riff raff
dont be an a**hole..if one christian guy robbed my house,then should i think all christian should convert their religion?c'mon...

Excuse me sir, but I believe you have a broken sarcasm meter.
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
Quote by zippidyduda
Excuse me sir, but I believe you have a broken sarcasm meter.

if so..i'm sorry..
"If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?"
In shops and banks, the retailer should have the right to ask for it to be removed just like a retailer or bank has the right to ask someone who is wearing a motorbike helmet to remove it. These shouldnt become offenses under the law at all though.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
YES. If helmets and hoodies are banned then hijabs should be aswell. I'm sick and tired of people getting special treatment because of their religion. If you're not allowed to cover your face, then that's final. I don't f'cking care that your superstition makes you believe that you stand above the rules.
Quote by CaptainRon
You do realize that not everyone on this site lives in the U.S.?

Right?

Now on to my next point...

It's just absurd to say religion should be abolished when it's effective at instilling good morals.

I think instead of trying to rid the developed countries of religion, people should focus on being peaceful and accepting everyone regardless of their beliefs, ethnic background, social background, etc.

That way, religion truly isn't an issue.

Yeah see this is what I don't get. Basically every religion states that there is a higher power and a prophet/newsbringer/higher authority figure and states that we should all do this n that.

Why not just screw being this/that and just be... a good person?
Sorry if this post offends anyone in any way by the way... I'm a bit tired so stuff I write probably won't make much sense.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
Quote by i_killed_bill
But if we ban those then do we ban scuba masks from shops. Or ski masks from sporting good stores? Or do we ban masks from Halloween stores?

I don't think it's a safety concern I honestly believe it's close minded individuals trying to ban things that aren't common in Western society.

i agree 100%
My current acoustic group:

Fiftieth Parallel

Martin Guitars
Elixer Strings
Acoustic amplification
BOSS pedals

I personally think that the hijab is a form of religious mind control and should be banned entirely, but I'm not entirely sure about how the muslims would react. I can't imagine anyone possibly wanting to wear one of those things. I understand that the reason they wear them is to "preserve their beauty for their husband" or some **** like that. It's goddamn oppression, and I hate oppression. So I'm going to... ban their religious beliefs... yeah.

Banning them in banks totally makes sense, though.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
I don't know. I mean... if we don't ban them then surely anyone could try to wear one and hide their identity in order to steal or whatever.

But it's their customs.... then again.... their religion isn't the main religion of the country so... it's.... I'm not sure what to think.
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
Quote by woodenbandman
I personally think that the hijab is a form of religious mind control and should be banned entirely, but I'm not entirely sure about how the muslims would react. I can't imagine anyone possibly wanting to wear one of those things. I understand that the reason they wear them is to "preserve their beauty for their husband" or some **** like that. It's goddamn oppression, and I hate oppression. So I'm going to... ban their religious beliefs... yeah.

Banning them in banks totally makes sense, though.

Extremists wear them.

Normal muslims don't. What I don't like is that whenever the word ''muslim'' or ''islam'' is mentioned everyone thinks of terrorism/hijabs/whatever other stereotype they have.

Muslims are just as nice people as everyone else.
And the extremists, are as bad as any other extremist.
Carmel is hawt
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
Muslims are just as nice people as everyone else.
And the extremists, are as bad as any other extremist.

Amen to that, although I'll have you know I don't have a high opinion of Christians either... or Atheists for that matter. Or... well... most people
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Amen to that, although I'll have you know I don't have a high opinion of Christians either... or Atheists for that matter. Or... well... most people

I don't mind 'em as long as they are good people. That's all that matters. I don't care whether they believe in reincarnation, heaven, hell, god, prophets or what religion they are etc.

As long as they're a good person. I won't mind 'em.
Carmel is hawt
Motorcycle helmets and Hoodies are banned also, so it probably is to insure that the cameras can see people's faces.
Page 1 of 2