Do bands (locally and mainstream) still smash their guitars and stuff? Or is that now considered uncool? Does anybody have a "destruction" part and the end of sets anymore? Just curious...

I know Nirvana used to do even back in 1988 waaay before they reached fame.
I seriously find it stupid to smash your equipment. It is expensive to smash a good guitar or bass or keyboard... or even the amps.
"Fly with me forever high
And with these wings
We'll set the world on fire
Fly with me through scorching skies
You and I - The lie of lies"

-Symphony X
I don't. I'm just a broke student
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
i would if i could afford it
No endeavour rivals science in its incremental progress towards a more complete understanding of the observable universe.
I don't even care about the cost of the smashing, the act itself is overdone and really kind of lame any more.
You're*
yeah you should probably only do it if it's still cool
███████████████████████████████████
Pete Townshend Of the who does it every now and then. smashes up an amazing Eric Clapton Strat :'(
=========

Nathnialm

====
I wouldn't even if I had the money to. I think it's a shameful practise :no
Agreed.

That said, I saw green day do a big instrument smash up at an Edgefest show around '98 or so. Some people thought it was cool, but it really is cliche, and a senseless waste of gear.

You want to do something outrageous and have nothing better to do with a guitar than smash it? Find the youngest person in the audience (or the oldest, or the prettiest girl or whoever..... but extra awesomeness points if there is a kid in the audience) you can and just hand it to him... "here... yours."

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I've seen it done by local bands a few times. I think if you do it right it's still a very awesome thing to do on stage.
Quote by axemanchris
Agreed.

That said, I saw green day do a big instrument smash up at an Edgefest show around '98 or so. Some people thought it was cool, but it really is cliche, and a senseless waste of gear.

You want to do something outrageous and have nothing better to do with a guitar than smash it? Find the youngest person in the audience (or the oldest, or the prettiest girl or whoever..... but extra awesomeness points if there is a kid in the audience) you can and just hand it to him... "here... yours."

CT

yea ive always wanted to do that if i got big, id give them my first guitar and be liek "take it an be awsome muahaha!!"
Quote by axemanchris

CT

Only problem is, that kid might get the hell knocked out of him by the rest of the people in the crowd and proceed to get robbed of the guitar.
I saw FooFighters on the same day at the same Edgefest.

Speaking of awesome stage moves....

They had a guy they called "Dan the f*cking Man" and they nailed him to a board.

link - http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/Artists/F/Foo_Fighters/1998/08/14/745159.html

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Jan 24, 2009,
Most places don't even allow you to smash it unless you bring like a concrete slab. A stratocaster can go through a cheap wood floor.
Quote by TORSION
yea i agree ^

its just stupid.
waste of a good instrument

I found it amusing that you have a Hendrix picture, wasn't he the first one to smash his guitar?

I would never do it though, unless it was a really cheap guitar, but why would I be using a cheap guitar if I could afford to smash guitars?
i smashed a guitar into 12 cardboard boxes at school whils playing teen spirit by nirvana. apparently half were hiding and the other half were laughing there heads off. mr.robinson wasdent impressed.
^ Thats gold... I don't smash mine i just end a song or something in a FEEDBACK ATTACK! I might throw it to the ground or something but i don't try to smash it. Its only a squier though...
Pretend we're dead..
Yeah, I've seen people drop their guitars and just kinda beat them, but I've never seen a band actually destroy their stuff.

Not even NIN live

Dunlop 535Q Wah, Ibanez TS-9, EHX LBM
Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25
MXR 6-band EQ, Boss NS-2, Boss PS-5, MXR Phase 90, MXR Carbon Copy

GAS: Micro POG

Quote by Zugunruhe
this was the funniest thing ive seen in the pit for weeks.

^about me
Quote by Nathanialm
Pete Townshend Of the who does it every now and then. smashes up an amazing Eric Clapton Strat :'(

He's allowed, he started it.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
sure its still cool, except we did it with a bunch of guitar hero guitars and the rock band drumset.

it was actually at the beggining of the set. We said if any of yall came to here cheesy guitar hero songs, get the **** out!! and smashed the living hell out of the plastic ****.

it was epic!!!
Good wood is getting harder to find. If you need to break a guitar, break one that's made out of basswood or laminate.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
nah I love 'em too much
WONGA!
Quote by StringAssassin
I would be angry too if there were turds on my head.
It is cool if the the band kicked ass. But I haven't seen it recently. I think it has to do with the economy.
AL
Never destroy your guitar, unless you are Jimi Hendrix.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by tmfiore
Never destroy your guitar, unless you are Jimi Hendrix.

Because only one person is allowed to copy Pete Townshend?

Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
No. It's a huge waste. Give it to somebody in the crowd.
Quote by HuckIt
I didn't find it that funny when I saw myself doing him in missionary position...

Quote by Oblivion_Rps
I was having sex with a female dolphin. In the dream I was like:
"YEEEEEEEAAAARGH I'M SCREWIN' A FEMALE DOLPHIN!!!" and when I woke up I was like:
"... wtf"
I think it's more of a "Punk" staple than anything. Punk smashes their guitars, Metal drinks hard alcohol, Rock drinks beer, blah blah blah blah blah...
Is this what you want?