I have a Line 6 Spider Valve 212 which I am enjoying very much but I have come across one problem; when using a lot of distortion it amplifies the noise of the pick coming off of the string. I realize that this is bound to happen with a lot of distortion but I just felt like it may have been a little too much.

When Im soloing and use this high gain setting, when I pick the amp sounds like it barks at me at the begining of each note I hit. The note still sounds good and has a nice sustain, but imagine when I play fast...its a constant BARK BARK BARK BARK.

So I was wondering if there was any way to reduce this noise, I know that less gain will reduce it, but even with less gain It is very noticeable. And Ive heard from a couple of people that the Celestion Vintage 30's that are in the SpiderValve may be the problem

So is there any way I can reduce the sound of me picking?
It's a spider.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Quote by random_B-RAD
It's a spider.

it's a spider valve
that's a full tube awesome amp
not one of th crap modeling amps douche****
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
It's a spider

I knew I would get ignorant replies like that, thanks
but
what thickness of pick do you use? thinner picks get more noise
also it could be you holding your pick too angled
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Heavy / Extra heavy picks lol

And Im not really sure about the angle, maybe Ill try holding it differently or something

thanks
look at some vids from petrucci and malmsteen
the masters of alternate picking and look at their tec
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Get a new pick? Maybe the one you have is really scratchy after being used too much. Also, thinner ones tend to scratch more I find (I used to use .60s to .40s before I discovered the benefits of thicker picks); try tortex picks (.88 or more; I use both .88s and Jazz III picks.) or if you want really thick go for Big Stubbies, which I have in 2 and 3mm.

Still nothing? Maybe your pickups are shoddy or something. Are they too close to the strings?

Also, if all else fails, try to master legato so you don't have to pick every note.

edit: didn't see above replies. Try changing picking angle like these guys above said.
I used 2 hav that problem (still do sometimes) i find that if u play listening for the "barks" and just slowly change how u hold the pick, the angle ur striking. Ull eventualy sort it.

My friend said its also got sumthing 2 do with how fresh the pick is, as if its old and a bit shredded then it will make more noise than a fresh clean one. Im not sure how correct that is though. but try it out
MAIN GUITARS:
PRS Single Cut Trem
Ibanez PGM-301
Rickenbacker 650D
Jackson RR5
Taylor 12 String acoustic
Yamaha RBX 5string bass
MAIN AMP:
Hughes And Kettner Trilogy w/ 4x12 HnK cab
Some of my thicker picks like D'addario ones tend to grind on the side. Either get new picks or pick at a different angle.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
The distortion on spiders is pretty nasty, especially in terms of pick noise. Try turning down the drive and treble a bit.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
Do you dig in alot when you pick? Or do you use as little as possible? Obviously people pick in diferent ways when they want a diferent sound, but if you find yourself tending to use alot of the pick, maybey work on just ticking the string with the tip of the pick (when playing fast)
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
Quote by random_B-RAD
It's a spider.

inexperienced D-bag commenting about a GOOD TUBE modeling amp.

the SS SPIDER is crap every 08'er-01'er?? completely knows that.
the tube on the other hand is quite good BUT its completely overpriced so no one in UG suggests these amps.
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
EQ pedal if the amp doesn't have a graphic...probably want to knock down 1.6k.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Allright thanks guys, looks like Im going to mess with my picking

Might be hard since Ive gotten so used to the way I already pick lol, but thanks for the advice.

And yeah to anyone who cares, the Spider Valve is actually really nice, and I got an insane deal on it so it didnt hurt my wallet I bought a new one for close to half price somehow
This might sound crazy; but, try a different guitar through the amp. I could be your pickups.
AL
Turn your presence down. If that doesn't help, turn the treble down some too.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Hi i'm new to this forum, and yes i know it's a very old thread,
but i found the same problem, how do u sort it out?

I already try different pick, angle, lower the treble, etc. But i still can heard the 'bark bark' sound on every note i hit, especially on higher note, more noticeable on high gain + distortion.

thanks
Quote by slianto
Hi i'm new to this forum, and yes i know it's a very old thread,
but i found the same problem, how do u sort it out?

I already try different pick, angle, lower the treble, etc. But i still can heard the 'bark bark' sound on every note i hit, especially on higher note, more noticeable on high gain + distortion.

thanks

If you knew this was an old thread, why did you bump it?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
TURN DOWN THE GAIN. Really, you don't need to crank the gain to the max all the time. That's most likely what's causing your problem.

Bring the gain down and learn to pick harder, firmer, and cleaner. That's where a big sound comes from, and the sound is so much clear.

Never, and I mean NEVER use the Insane channel on that amp, under any circumstance. A mid-gain setting on the "Metal" channel should be the most you'd ever need.
Quote by Eppicurt
If you knew this was an old thread, why did you bump it?

Maybe the TS already found the solution And willing to share his experience.
u know, it's best to learn from the experienced one.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
TURN DOWN THE GAIN. Really, you don't need to crank the gain to the max all the time. That's most likely what's causing your problem.

Bring the gain down and learn to pick harder, firmer, and cleaner. That's where a big sound comes from, and the sound is so much clear.

Never, and I mean NEVER use the Insane channel on that amp, under any circumstance. A mid-gain setting on the "Metal" channel should be the most you'd ever need.

thanks man, but i already turn the gain around 50%. but i can still hear that sound.
well pls feel free to look at my thread.
i've recorded some sample sound there:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=29236337#post29236337