Hey all. I'm new to tab submission - this being my first - so I'm hoping that I attach everything correctly!

This piece is called Water Colors, and is ideally an experimentation with jazz - I've never attempted jazz prior to this. I initially wrote this to experiment with unorthodox and awkward chords, although it eventually evolved into a more pleasurable listening - and playing! - experience, despite the multiple layers I eventually added.

The piece, like most of my works, is a little over a minute long, so this is ideally a sample.

Anywho, I've enclosed a full version, in gp5, but also in MIDI formats for those who can't access it. I've also enclosed a solo piano version, which takes after the intense harmony section, in the same formats.

This is C4C, and I'd more more than happy return my share of the bargain, depending on however much you give me

Thanks in advance!

Alex - The fush

EDIT: Updated the drums

Not for you? Then try this:
- https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1053189
Progressive Metal
Attachments:
Water Colors.zip
Last edited by juckfush at Jan 26, 2009,
First of, I´d rather call it Fusion than Jazz, it´s far too complicated for Jazz, not that that´s a bad thing, but I´m just a little elitist about those little things, so please don´t take it too serious and/or personal

The Intro was quite relaxing, the time signature changes were well put, didn´t interrupt the flow. Is this ment to be played freely? The Melodic Passage was nice, too, just that I think all your harmonies overpowered this a bit. Maybe only play one Harmony as a part, and make them A, B and C parts? Sadly, this song is very short, so I can´t write any more to it.

Overall, I can´t really say anything bad about it, but I can see flaws in alling this "Jazz". For Jazz, it´s the arrangement that doesn´t fit for it. Jazz is just meant to be different. I can easily tell from your use of the bass drum that you are usually a rock/metal musician. In jazz, the bass drum usually sets the 1. But these are only my elitist little things, so don´t think bad about it, cause it´s a nice Fusion Piece.

Maybe take a look at "Leaving You"? It´s on the first page
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
Banned for being the coolest April 08'er on UG.

please check out my own album:
almilano.bandcamp.com
I had to mute the drums, I felt they really clashed with the music. I think they need to be a lot more layed back.

I can't really say I got into it. I quite liked the start, but when the melodies came in, it just felt a bit to happy and, like it belonged in a pokemon game or something, you know?

When you're walking around Cerulean and you have the random happy music going.

Maybe if I listened to it a different way, but atleast with the listen I gave it, it just felt far to happy and out of place. Iunno, I think it's just because it wasn't what I was expecting/hoping for. Not bad though, keep on uploading more, we need more of this stuff in T&C.

Edit: Madzaa, too complicated for jazz?

How the hell can something be too complicated to be jazz? I'd agree this should be classed as fusion and probably not jazz, but none the less; jazz is hellishly complicated...

Edit #2: I agree with Madzaa about the harmonies in the latter part, and also on the drum part.

The time signature changes never seemed forced although, the bar where it is 2/4, just some string muting; I would change that to 1/4, make the first mute a quaver (8th note) rather than a crotchet (whatever Americans call it just incase you are, the thing worth 1 beat, whole note?) and then get rid of the quaver rest at the end (8th). I just felt it didn't really flow there.

(Just checked which bar, it was bar 9)
Last edited by Regression at May 3, 2009,
Thanks for such a swift reply! I smiled upon seeing that I received a post already!

I totally understand your approach about me labelling this jazz. I'm not too hot on genres, especially since I take inspiration from absolutely everything nowadays. And the drums, I'll admit, were constructed in a rush, simply as a backdrop to make my melodic extensions easier, hehe. But thanks so much for covering that up for me. And you're right about my initial writing preference - I have another song here called Marzipan which is a proggy piece, which exclusive use rhythm work.

I'm just so glad you've considered it fusion. I never would have thought it. So thanks heaps for your criticism - you've really put a smile on my face.

I'll be sure to crit your song, but maybe tomorrow - it's 12:30am here, haha. Definitely will be thorough though, champ.

Cheers

EDIT: Hey Regression. To you too, thanks for the hasty reply

As I should have mentioned in my initial post, the drums were written without much though, and were really put there to ease up the strain when writing the extended melodies. I may even scrap them until I can think of something more adequate.

I'm glad you enjoyed the start, but as Madzaa said, the melodic section is a bit busy, so I understand that it may be difficult to indulge in. Thanks so much for posting though, I really appreciate it

If I may say though, I think something I like most is how I - or so at least feel - gradually escalated the mood from somber to uplifting. I love altering moods and textures

Again, thanks champ, and to all those who crit me in the meantime I may be off for the night.

Cheers

EDIT 2: The one thing I forgot to reply about! Your time change comments I think the reason it works, is that mathematically grouped, the numerators add to 32 - when all grouped as 8ths. So therefore, we can allocate those to 4 bars of 4/4. So I really just stay in 4/4 - hence the flow. To be honest, I didn't put the time signatures there to look impressive, but because it made sense, as to represent the dynamics, and just to make reading easier. Thanks for the comments though, but I thought I should clear that up - I don't want you to feel lied to.
Last edited by juckfush at Jan 24, 2009,
Check my edits.

And sorry if I sound harsh, it's not intentional if I do. You definately know how to compose.
You don't sound harsh at all. Thank you for being honest, really! And I checked your edits
I love harsh criticism, really. I KNOW it's honest that way! So really, thanks.

And thanks more-so for your most recent comment. I really am touched, honest. If I feel confident about anything, it's composing and expanding once I have my center-piece.

By the way, is there anything you'd like me to crit for you?

Thanks to both of you, and all in advance who stumble by
Last edited by juckfush at Jan 24, 2009,
Quote by Regression

Edit: Madzaa, to complicated for jazz?

How the hell can something be to complicated to be jazz? I'd agree this should be classed as fusion and probably not jazz, but none the less; jazz is hellishly complicated...

Well, Jazz is meant as music to jam with... and honestly, with this kind of Melodies, you will kill every Jam session. At least that´s what I think of Jazz, but everybody has his different mindset for Jazz

Edit 2: I fail at quoting
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
Banned for being the coolest April 08'er on UG.

please check out my own album:
almilano.bandcamp.com
Last edited by Madzää at Jan 24, 2009,
I'm listening to chordal right now on MIDI so here we go:

I like the intro chords and melody and stuff. It reminds me of K.K. from Animal Crossing xD but anyways, it doesn't really seem that jazzy to me. I'm not too versed on jazz but it doesn't seem to follow jazz at all. The drums are very nice in it as well. I like it alot. And when the second guitar comes in it's just that much better. I like it alot actually. I really like how it loops so well... that's a big plus for me.

I like it alot on piano... it reminds me of a tv show opening song actually :] That's where I could see the piano one... but you should definitely record the guitar one. Layer the separate tracks, it's actually really good.

I give it a 10/10. I can't really find any faults with it. It's really good!

Crit my new one man?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1062708
Two really great jazz songs. Chordal was very relaxing and had a nice groove to it. The drums fit well and the second guitar made it so much better. Water Colors was a very cool piece. I heard some Chick Corea influence in there but correct me if I'm wrong (but also look him up, he's an amazing keyboard player).
Quote by Madzää
First of, I´d rather call it Fusion than Jazz, it´s far too complicated for Jazz, not that that´s a bad thing, but I´m just a little elitist about those little things, so please don´t take it too serious and/or personal

The Intro was quite relaxing, the time signature changes were well put, didn´t interrupt the flow. Is this ment to be played freely? The Melodic Passage was nice, too, just that I think all your harmonies overpowered this a bit. Maybe only play one Harmony as a part, and make them A, B and C parts? Sadly, this song is very short, so I can´t write any more to it.

Overall, I can´t really say anything bad about it, but I can see flaws in alling this "Jazz". For Jazz, it´s the arrangement that doesn´t fit for it. Jazz is just meant to be different. I can easily tell from your use of the bass drum that you are usually a rock/metal musician. In jazz, the bass drum usually sets the 1. But these are only my elitist little things, so don´t think bad about it, cause it´s a nice Fusion Piece.

Maybe take a look at "Leaving You"? It´s on the first page

Wow, what a dick head. Jazz doesn't have any boundaries. Although I would agree - you're an elitist moron, of the highest order.
And here I was, excited seeing a new post in my thread. But at least some critting was done, I guess - even if not to me!

Anyhow, by the compositions I've heard by Madzää, he's a ridiculously talented composer, and he certainly knows an extraordinary amount in regards to musical theory and compositional components. And the champ mentioned a personal trait of elitism - whether it was a friendly joke or not - but rather, his comments were certainly constructive and attributable to the piece.

And as others have stated, as I agree, the piece is essentially more fusion based, with but jazz influences - hence the title.

Just thought I'd clear it up. And if you have nothing constructive or kind to say, please reframe from posting - at least in my threads!

Alex
Last edited by juckfush at May 2, 2009,
Quote by juckfush
And here I was, excited seeing a new post in my thread. But at least some critting was done, I guess - even if not to me!

Anyhow, by the compositions I've hear by Madzää, he's a ridiculously talented composer, and he certainly knows an extraordinary amount in regards to musical theory and compositional components. And the champ mentioned a personal trait of elitism - whether it was a friendly joke or not - but rather, his comments were certainly constructive and attributable to the piece.

And as others have stated, as I agree, the piece is essentially more fusion based, with but jazz influences - hence the title.

Just thought I'd clear it up. And if you have nothing constructive or kind to say, please reframe from posting - at least in my threads!

Alex

Sorry, people who call themselves elitists just annoy me, it's big headed and unnecessary. And I'd love to criticize your piece properly, but it won't let me open the file in guitar pro, comes up with an error message...

I'll have a go just listening to the midi later, but it won't be much of a crit.
dude this was effing awesome. reminded me of john mayer for some reason. i had the same problem with the error message you gotta import the midi to GP. the chord progression was awesome and the leads were amazing. there was nothing wrong. who cares what genre it is. its obviously jazz influenced and kicks ass. make some more amazing music! not much of a crit but id say add a vocal melody. idk if listening to the midi makes it different but theres no drums or bass. just piano and guitar. it also abruptly ended. i would also try adding a solo section. some blues licks would sound awesome.

c4c?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1113550