For my GCSE project I am thinking of making an electric guitar. I would be allowed to have all of the pickups and bridge and other components ready bought but I would have to shape the body, head and neck myself and put it all together. For those of you in the US I would be 15/16 whilst making it and I wouldn't have unlimited tools at school. Do you think it would be possible?
Thanks in advance

EDIT:I have limited woodwork experience and absolutely no guitar building experience. The teacher I would be working with has no guitar making experience but is very good with woodwork.
Gear
Basses
Squier Vintage Modified Precision Bass in Olympic White

Guitars
Squier Stratocaster Showmaster NLT HSS
Stagg Electro Acoustic

Amps
Carlsbro Cobra Bass 90W
Line 6 Spider III 15W
Squier SA-10

Last edited by Rugby Rocker at Jan 24, 2009,
I'd say go for it. As long as you're committed enough to see it through.

Your teacher should be able to help you with any troubles you come across.
Quote by Invader Jim
A post with that many big words just HAS to be right.

Wii FC: 8115 1176 4951 3028
I'm building one for my gcse. My teacher provides great ideas that I haven't considered, and it isn't too difficult if you're prepared to put a lot of effort it.
Also what problems would i probably run into? Such as doing the fretboard and getting the neck straight.
Gear
Basses

Guitars
Stagg Electro Acoustic

Amps
Carlsbro Cobra Bass 90W
Line 6 Spider III 15W
Squier SA-10

neck straight, fretboard slotting, fretboard being straight, nut spacing, fret leveling, nut spacing, painting. That's about it :-D
It depends. Do you have access to a router? I getting on fine without one, but you may struggle to do the neck pocket (assuming it's a bolt on), if you aren't good with a drill and a chisel. And routing for the truss rod may be equally challenging without a router...
My mates and I talked to our old teacher a few years ago about it and he seemed up for it too, although we never got round to it. Obviously we didn't have unlimited tools but the school did have some sort of expensive equipment that would cut any shape out of a piece of wood that you told it to, I think there was a computer in it, but I don't know, I never used it.
A machine like that would make things a lot easier! However, I think the teacher said the machine was slightly too small for a guitar body.
Quote by ljpfahey
My mates and I talked to our old teacher a few years ago about it and he seemed up for it too, although we never got round to it. Obviously we didn't have unlimited tools but the school did have some sort of expensive equipment that would cut any shape out of a piece of wood that you told it to, I think there was a computer in it, but I don't know, I never used it.
A machine like that would make things a lot easier! However, I think the teacher said the machine was slightly too small for a guitar body.

The machine was probably a laser cutter
My school has one but I think that if I did actually make the guitar, I would make it completely from hand
Thanks for all the other advice

Quote by ESP_Shreder
neck straight, fretboard slotting, fretboard being straight, nut spacing, fret leveling, nut spacing, painting. That's about it :-D

Do you have any idea of how I would be able to do all of the things you said about?
Gear
Basses

Guitars
Stagg Electro Acoustic

Amps
Carlsbro Cobra Bass 90W
Line 6 Spider III 15W
Squier SA-10

the hardest part would be finding where the frets go. its fairly comlex and hard(for me). the body neck and headstock will be easy. good luck though!
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Yeah the fretboard seems to be the hard part but I have never done it so I could be wrong. However, there are plenty of resources on the internet for all the calculations and a quick Google search gives TONS of results for building help if you get stuck. Or just ask questions here on UG we have plenty of knowledgeable users. I'd say go for it. I plan on building 1 this summer.
"Music is the only thing that makes sense anymore man, play it loud enough it keeps the demons at bay." - Jojo from ATU
Currently Own:
Ibanez GAX70
Peavey VYPYR 15.
Mitchell Acoustic M0100
Johnson Acoustic JG 100
Quote by f22master
the hardest part would be finding where the frets go. its fairly comlex and hard(for me). the body neck and headstock will be easy. good luck though!

Just get a pre-slotted fingerboard, I have yet to slot my own since there pretty cheap. I would say go for it.
i wish i could've built a guitar for gcse.

i got forced to make a cd rack....
(it was a damn good cd rack though!)

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Quote by Rugby Rocker
The machine was probably a laser cutter

I'm gonna bet it wasn't...

It would either be a CNC Mill or a Flow Jet (high pressure water)
but you can use liquid to cut wood! it would defea the kiln-drying process!
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
I did it, ands its fine. I bought a ready radiused and slotted fretboard from Craft Supplies. Its been fine. Its taken a hell of a lot of work outside school times, and shit loads of panic when I've fucked things up. I say go for it. Just research loads.
to the people who have already done it for GCSE, what sort of grade did you get and how did you do the truss rod because that is the bit i am really worried about
Gear
Basses

Guitars
Stagg Electro Acoustic

Amps
Carlsbro Cobra Bass 90W
Line 6 Spider III 15W
Squier SA-10