Hi

I'm going to test out what hopefully should be my next amp (Bugera 333) and i wanted to know how to give it a proper test because i've never really tried out an amp before, which is why i have my Line 6 spider sat next to me .

Also, as noobish as it sounds, can someone give me a step by step guide on how to turn on a tube amp please.
Gear List

Guitars
PRS SE Tremonti
Ltd Mh-100qmnt
Peavey Rotor ex
Crafter Acoustic

Amps
Bugera 333
Bugera 412h

Effects
Marshall Shredmaster
Line 6 MM4
Line 6 DL4
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Dan Electro Fish'n'chips
Ibanez LU-10
Play some chords all over the frets. I find that my amp will get a really annoying fuzzing on the clean channel when playing the lower frets on the 4th, 5th and 6th string. Try tweaking it and get some nice sounds of it. Go to the store with an idea of what sounds you want and tweak the amp settings to see if you can get what you want. You have as long as you want to try it out.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Quote by me_llamo_juan
Flip on switch, wait a minute, flip standby switch.
And it's on.

Does standby and power both have to be on when you're letting it warm up?
Gear List

Guitars
PRS SE Tremonti
Ltd Mh-100qmnt
Peavey Rotor ex
Crafter Acoustic

Amps
Bugera 333
Bugera 412h

Effects
Marshall Shredmaster
Line 6 MM4
Line 6 DL4
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Dan Electro Fish'n'chips
Ibanez LU-10
turning it on
2 seperate switches:
make sure the main is on off and standby is on standby
turn the MAIN power switch to on
let the the standby switch be on standby for 30sec-1min(or 2)
then turn the STANDBY swich to on

1 switch 3 different switches.(classic tube amps you know what i mean)
make sure the amp is on OFF
turn the switch to standby (the middle place, IDK what its called alrite!!!!)
wait for 2 min or 50 sec
turn tha amp to on.

TADA!!!
you now know how to turn on NEW tube aamps and Classic tube amps.

BTW you're settling for a bugera???
you could buy a used XXX it is the amp bugera is copying
and it DEFINITELY wont crap out on you.
my uncle had his XXX for 4 years now and still has no trouble.
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
The very best thing is to try a lot of amps that same day. Try ones that you aren't even interested in. That way you are actually have something to compare the amp to. If you go in and just try the amp you are interested in you're not really helping yourself make a decision.
A year ago, I was hell bent on buying this Rivera 1x12. After trying four other different combos I decided on getting a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. I never pictured myself with a Fender amp but hey It sounded good (to me).
AL
Last edited by Adam Loeke at Jan 24, 2009,
Quote by Adam Loeke
The very best thing is to try a lot of amps that same day. Try ones that you aren't even interested in. That way you are actually have something to compare the amp to. If you go in and just try the amp you are interested in you're not really helping yourself make a decision.
A year ago, I was hell bend on buying this Rivera 1x12. After trying four other different combos I decided on getting a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. I never pictured myself with a Fender amp but hey It sounded good (to me).

+1

Yup its always a good idea to hit up everything in the store first. Also after you play some of the higher end models it will help you start to notice the little flaws in cheaper amps. And you can determine better when you might be able to deal with or not be able to deal with.

Also always try and get a guitar closest to what you own or better yet bring your guitar in with you. I usually always truck in my guitar when im demo'ing gear because you get a true representation of your sound.

Run the amp at high volume and low volume to see what tonal nuances come from it. Some amps a fizzy as sh!t at lower volumes but just turning them up a bit more cures the issue. So if you never took it up to that level you think the amp sounds like crap but in reality it might be the best sounding amp you have ever heard if you would have just turned it up a notch..

Have a few things ready to play and make sure you have a few pieces out of your comfort zone. Meaning if you just play metal, learn a blues track or clean track before you go up there. Your gonna want something half ass versatile for those days your tastes might slightly change or the day your just bored with playing metal and want to site down and play some blues. And this can really show off the quality of the amp. Just playing metal doesn't really call out hey this is what I can do as an amp.

Bring a friend to turn knobs while you play... I always bring my wife in to do this for me because I can get a live non stop test of what all it can do. And it makes finding a good tone that much easier.

Hope that helps...
^ +1

i don't let anyone else fiddle with my knobs though...

EDIT: also, while you should try it at different volumes, make sure it sounds good at the volumes you're likely to be mostly using. if you gig, it needs to sound good turned up, if you're only playing at home, it doesn't matter how good that cranked up sound is (ok, unless you think you might gig eventually) if its bedroom volume tone is terrible. etc.
Quote by Adam Loeke

yeah, definitely. unless something completely sucks, there's a good chance you'll think it's pretty good unless you have something to compare it to. try it with different guitars, too, unless you only ever use one guitar (in which case, take your own with you if at all possible, unless it's a readily available model in which case using the store's should be fine).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 24, 2009,
Definitely echo the last few posts, you should try out as many as you can. I just got mine a few weeks back and took my guitar to several stores and had asked a few of them if they had any little rooms I could play in with several amps, and a few stores did so it was quiet and I could really hear the differences.

And Dave's absolutely right, you better be sure it sounds good the way YOU will be playing it, not just the way someone at the store demonstrates for you to show it off or what have you.
Takamine EG341SC
Godin Freeway Classic -> Boss TU-2 -> Fulltone OCD -> MXR M173 -> Boss RC-20XL -> Traynor YCV50 Blue
^^ michael

one other thing, don't be scared to leave it and go back again- i've tried things and liked them one day and not the next...

also, if they have a soundproof room, as michael mentioned, that's probably the best way to try it out, as you can turn it up without feeling self-conscious, and also if you play a lot at home, a small soundproof room is likely to have more similar acoustics to your bedroom/whichever room you keep your amp in than the large, echoey shop floor area.

also, and it's captain obvious time, make sure it handles the type of music you play.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Adam Loeke
A year ago, I was hell bent on buying this Rivera 1x12. After trying four other different combos I decided on getting a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. I never pictured myself with a Fender amp but hey It sounded good (to me).

yeah, i did the same thing..I did some research and settled for a peavy classic 30, but then, at the store, I played the HRD and ended up taking it home with me instead of the C30.

and a big +1 on everything else said here.
--F-F-T-S---
--EbOla----
---name pending?--

Quote by PlayMadness
No. Everybody dies. And one day, given that your relationship doesn't crash and burn like so many do, one of you will end up deep in sorrow while watching the other one die.