i currently have a ESP ec300 ATS http://www.espguitars.com/esp2003/ec-300ats.html
it currently has seymour duncan pickups on it, i think they are p90s. These are good for playing anything, but i want to make my guitar purely for metal, as i have a prs for playing other stuff. i have seen you can get pickups designed for metal, whats involved in changing pickups? is there any anyone woukd recommend? and do you have to replace both sets? cheers
What amp do you have?

Pickup changing requires a soldering iron - all you do is attach the wires to your guitar and you're good to go, it's very simple.
They're not P90s, what gave you that idea? Those are just humbuckers. Get better ones (EMGs are popular for metal, Seymour Duncan is extremely popular around here for most genres but are overrated) and then come back here when you need help with installation.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
get EMGs Zakk wylde set (EMG 81 on bridge and 85 on neck)
while using Ernie Ball strings ..they make an amazing combination
"When I tried to play something and screwed up, I'd hear some other note that would come into play. Then I started trying different things to find the beauty in it."
-Dimebag Darrell
i bought it from a mate and he said they are p90s, they are seymour duncan. so would i need to replace both the the bridge and the neck? and are there pickups that are specifically for the the bridge and specifically for the neck?
They're not P90's, they're just covered humbuckers....your friend is an idiot.

What amp do you have, no point recommending pickups until we know that.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
i have a line 6 spider 3, although i am gona be getting the pod x3 live to give me more tone variations
Then there's no point changing the pickups...not really much point buying the POD either to be brutally honest.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

*sigh*

pics of you guitar please.
and change your amp, PLEASE CHANGE YOUR MTHRFCKN ****TY AMP!!!!!!!!!!!!
/rant

the pickup change will not affect your tone that much if you're using a crappy moddeling amp, if you're using a tube amp then it would completely change your tone.
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Post a picture of your actual guitar, not the website's depiction of what they sell. If it is indeed P-90s, the he had them modded that way and there should be a giant space around each pickup.
The link you posted is to a guitar with 2 humbuckers and should be decent ones for the price of the guitar. P90s the poles will be down the center of the pickup. Humbuckers will be to 1 side. And a set of pickups wont make any difference with the spider amp. The money spent on pickups and a pod will buy a decent amp THEN see if you need pickups.

theres my guitar. Ok so maybe i should get a new amp first then? any you would recommend? its only gonan be for my bedroom so only really about 30watt, good for metal, hatebreed stuff like that
^ nice guitar and yep definitely p-90s.

well p-90s are desingned only for blues and some classic rock (that's what i know, so correct me if im wrong).
for the amp a Peavey Vypyr 30 will do you good only $199 usd. it has built in stompoxes and effects and MANY "metal" amp models, 6505,xxx,krankenstine,deizel ect.
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Yes, those are P90s, your friend is not an idiot...although the guitar you actually linked to didn't have P90s.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

ok cheers, i almost got a peavey vypyr instead of my spider 3. so what pickups would anyone recommend, as i cant really be playing metal on blues pickups! looks like this payday is all going on my guitar!
Quote by jamestheace
ok cheers, i almost got a peavey vypyr instead of my spider 3. so what pickups would anyone recommend, as i cant really be playing metal on blues pickups! looks like this payday is all going on my guitar!

I play shred and thrash on my P-90s and they work just fine for it. Sound damn good too It's all about knowing the guitar, knowing how to make it sound good. But since you've already got P-90s in there, it's be a pain to have to rework the body to put humbuckers in there. I'd suggest maybe EMG Passive P-90 Styled pickups or the Seymour Duncan STK-90.
unless you want to do some Mountain material, P-90's arent gonna be heavy enough. they are great for clean and mid gain tones. they can work for heavy gain sounds (a la Neil Young in his Rust Never Sleeps era) ,but not "Heavy" sound. unfortunately, putting humbuckers in there will require some serious modification, and will ultimately ruin the guitar's value.

i suggest buying a cheaper Epiphone like a LP-100 or another fairly priced humbucker equipped guitar, then modding it with some DiMarzio Super Distortions or some EMG 81/85s. Seymour Duncans are really great pickups, too. but i found that they don't really work for a "Metal sound".
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
^ nice guitar and yep definitely p-90s.

well p-90s are desingned only for blues and some classic rock (that's what i know, so correct me if im wrong).
for the amp a Peavey Vypyr 30 will do you good only $199 usd. it has built in stompoxes and effects and MANY "metal" amp models, 6505,xxx,krankenstine,deizel ect.

P90s are fantastic for anything except metal, really. And they're going to sound like P90s no matter what amp you're playing through, although whether or not they actually sound good is based on the amp. You will have to swap the pickups to make it suitable for metal, but you definitely need a new amp first.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments