Poll: CAn you take metal seriously?
Poll Options
View poll results: CAn you take metal seriously?
Yes (I am a metal fan)
653 48%
Yes (Im not a metal fan)
56 4%
No (I am a metal fan)
243 18%
No (Im not a metal fan)
215 16%
chicken soup
201 15%
Voters: 1368.
Page 1 of 11
WEll yesterday I was at school, listening to some music of a computer, when I told someone to put something else chilled out on after the song had finished. He laughed and suddenly I was greeted by some power metal. He had just typed heavy metal into youtube and put the first song on. I looked at the video and couldnt help but laugh as Dream Evil - Book of Heavy metal played. They looked ridiculous. The song was good, but it was so cringey to watch.

Now I consider myself a fan of all music, including metal, but I really cant take a lot of the artists seriously (there are some exceptions). So my question to metalheads and non-metalheads, can you take metal seriously?
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
no i dont
Emerse your soul in love

You used to be alright What happened?

Yellow tigers crouched in jungles in her Dark Eyes .
Not really
If you try to correct me
I will become alot more wise and insightful than you can possibly imagine.
I'd say those bands don't have enough finance to have great videos but want a video so home made ftw.
HAI!

SPAM! SPAM! SPAM!SPAM! SPAM!
Last edited by Jakeisgod at Jan 24, 2009,
it's just like Rap, it doesn't matter how the music is, but there's a 96% chance the performers are douchebags
Top 15:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
Elliott Smith
Devendra Banhart
Pavement
Anberlin
Eve 6
The Clash
Imogen Heap
Ingrid Michaelson
Bayside
Minus The Bear
The Replacements
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
generally yes, but I'll readily admit that there's quite a bit of metal out there that shouldn't/can't possibly be taken seriously.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I take most metal seriously, but things like power-metal just make me cringe and wonder what on Earth inspired such crap

EDIT:
Quote by Jackolas

That video is awesome!! Watching Bruce frolick in the flowers makes my day!
Last edited by uk.mace at Jan 24, 2009,
No, I don't take it seriously. I love Dream Evil though, it's all kind of tongue-in-cheek anyway.

EDIT: Rofl @ Steve Harris on the tractor.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Last edited by Green_Jelly at Jan 24, 2009,
Quote by Rory Kavanagh
HAHA thats brilliant. I love piss takes like that.

Indeed! My favourite part is Dave's solo in the river and Steve on the tractor.
No, the videos look ridiculous.
D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

Every genre has an artist like that. Where even people who are fans of the genre don't dig them.
You can take something seriously while still being realistic about it. All the imagery and such of metal is part of the fun. As for black metal, I'm rather convinced it's all a big inside joke; bands like Immortal essentially do it for the lulz.

TL;DR- Self parody, do you know it?

I mean, hell, I'm currently producing a thrash demo where the entire lyrical content will consist of zombies. It's still going to be "serious". Just light hearted.
Last edited by Vermintide at Jan 24, 2009,
its not only the videos though is it. I mean the band photos are just as bad. All po-faced with long hair and beards and brandishing their instruments like axes, they just look embaressing.
Quote by Rockstar12345
Well, all the metal I listen to, yes, I take it very seriously. Stuff like Dragonforce or GWAR, not so much.
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
Quote by Vermintide
You can take something seriously while still being realistic about it. All the imagery and such of metal is part of the fun. As for black metal, I'm rather convinced it's all a big inside joke; bands like Immortal essentially do it for the lulz.

I mean, hell, I'm currently producing a thrash demo where the entire lyrical content will consist of zombies. It's still going to be "serious". Just light hearted.

QFT
Quote by Vermintide

fair enough, but Im sure at least some of the bands are serious, and A LOT of the fans are (just read Blabbermouth to see what I mean).
Quote by Rockstar12345
you cant lump an entire genre into something as simple as 'do you take it seriously?'

well, okay, for pop-punk you can

but generally, you cant.

obviously, no one can teak 'heart of a dragon' seriously. but other songs like cemetery gates are difficult not to take seriously.

i havnt filled in the poll because theres no right answer from my perspective. the bottom line is that i dont discredit the seriousness of a song just because it is metal.
Quote by Machanix
We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

Life Is A Lemon And I Want My Money Back!

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far
Than A Wise And Productive Old Age

Good Girls Go To Heaven, But The Bad Girls Go Everywhere!
Dimmu Borgir's videos are amazingly laughable

and read the credits in the liner notes for Hellig Usvart by Horde
Top 15:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
Elliott Smith
Devendra Banhart
Pavement
Anberlin
Eve 6
The Clash
Imogen Heap
Ingrid Michaelson
Bayside
Minus The Bear
The Replacements
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
I can't take it seriously, because of emo kids.haha They all take their Bring Me the Horizon and Cute Is What We Aim For so seriously, that I don't wanna become that doucheish for All That Remains and As I Lay Dying.
Quote by Laces Out Danny
wtfs a hickey?!
I don't take bands seriously that want to be taken seriously....if that makes sense.

For example, alot of black metal bands over do the whole "grrr, we're evil and we hate religion....grrr" thing. I just can't take them seriously. They are a gimmic to me.
i take metal seriously and i think most of it is creative and requires skill to play.

that being said i do not take seriously any metal band thats lyrics are about death, murder ect. it's like what the **** do they know about death? maybe they've killed someone or watched someone die? dont think so.

its the same as rap, just worse. all these guys trying to look all tough, aggressive and pissed at the the world, braggin about whet they dont know, and im not tallking about death metal alone - it's true about pretty much every metal genre.

now you'll say its just entertainment but i think any form of entertainment should be true to itself.
Last edited by kr1stians at Jan 24, 2009,
Some of those bands aren't meant to be taken seriously. There are good non-idiotic looking metal bands, you just have to look beyond the first layer of metal.
"We are not concerned with motive, with higher ethics. We are concerned only with cutting down crime-."