Hey, i just want to know if anyone has good tips, to help me get my fretting hand, and finger picking hand faster?
Equiptment:

Bass: Yamaha RBX170
Amp: Fender Rumble 100
Pedal: Boss BOD-3 Bass overdrive pedal
Try exercises like the spider one, (search bar this forum for it).

This will not only get your speed up but your coordination as well, you're only gonna be as fast as your slower hand so building their speed up together will help you keep basslines clean and clinical.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by corrda00
Challenge urself. Play scales and increase speed. Icum blood.

I cum Blood is an amazing song, thanks for the tip also.
Equiptment:

Quote by Jonnomainman
Try exercises like the spider one, (search bar this forum for it).

This will not only get your speed up but your coordination as well, you're only gonna be as fast as your slower hand so building their speed up together will help you keep basslines clean and clinical.

Thanks a lot for the tip.
Equiptment:

how many fingers do you normally use?
you can massively increase your speed by using 3 or 4 fingers on your right hand instead of the normal 2.
you can practice this with chromatics/3 note per string scales. also practice making stretches between your ring and pinky on your left hand - this is often overlooked but makes runs which move around the fretboard much smoother
finally if you need left hand practice you can try linear scales - playing a scale while sticking on one string - speeds up your movement no end and helps you think more about position switching.
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
1- Try to use as less strength as possible to fret the notes with your fretting hand.Only enough to produce a clean sound.For this,set your metronome to a really slow speed,like 8ths at 30 BPM.
2-Now,for the picking hand...use the third,second and first finger to pick the notes,in this order.Again,set your metronome to a slow speed.

The aim here is to correct your playing,making it as smooth and effortless as possible.
You can do scales,1234 exercises...any kind.
The best part is that the results don't take a long time to show up.I play the guitar and I did all the things listed above,except for the fingerpicking...and i noticed the difference in abot 5 days.
If you have a few bucks burning a hole in your pocket consider picking up the Bass Fitness book. It won't teach you technique or theory or how to play, it's just a book of 200 (400 if you include that the exercise and it's reverse are notated) chromatic exercises. I've been working on the first exercise for over a month and am still finding benefit from it in co-ordination, speed, and endurance.
Remember--speed is a by product of accuracy. No one's mentioned it yet, but get yourself a metronome and use it. Start slow and only go slightly faster when you can play a scale, song etc accurately and with good tone.

Another good book is Funk Fusion Bass and Funk Bass by Jon Liebman. Over half the book is exercises which will help you build strength, speed and dexterity no matter what music genre you play.
Quote by anarkee
Remember--speed is a by product of accuracy. No one's mentioned it yet, but get yourself a metronome and use it. Start slow and only go slightly faster when you can play a scale, song etc accurately and with good tone.

Exactly what I was going to suggest.

People really underestimate just how much a metronome can help you. You'll see what we mean once you start using one.
Quote by rockonth
Why don't they just send 4chan to Iraq if they're so good at these so called "raids"?

Quote by entity0009
I once got hit by a flying wig. Either it was a wig or someone was headbanging far too hard.
I prefer playing easy songs that require you to be somewhat dexterous. Time Bomb - Rancid, Fire - Jimi Hendrix, Burritos - Sublime.....But I suppose a metronome and scales work also, I'm just not into that very much
Practice slow.

I know it sounds like the opposite of what you're trying to achieve, but hear me out.

Speed comes from a combination of muscle memory and finger stregnth. Step one is to practice the passage you're trying to play fast slowly, so your fingers remember to do it properly. If you just blaze along and slop through, it's going to sound, well, sloppy. Practice slow and make sure you're doing it perfect every time. Gradually speed it up, never going faster then you can play cleanly. Gradually, you'll find yourself going faster and faster without flubbing notes.

Essentially, it just comes down to lots of practice.

+1 to anarkee. Speed is a byproduct of steady, accurate practice. Not a result
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Like I'm sure it has been said above a metronome is probably going to be your best friend when you want to build up speed, play scales and if you get bass player mag then they sometimes have some stuff in there.
Quote by anarkee
Remember--speed is a by product of accuracy.

memorise this quote. write it on your wall. scratch it into your forehead with a compass (bill bailey anyone?)

do anything you can to remember it.

and then just do it!

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
I'm sorry if this seems like i'm hijacking the thread, but i think this is a good time for me to ask this question.

Ive often though of using a metronome, but this has kept me from really using one ever.

http://www.metronomeonline.com/

Lets say i was using this, set it to 120 bpm (4/4), do i play one note per click? or 4 note between the clicks? xD i know right?

Anyway, yeh, the whole speed is a byproduct of accuracy is totally true, first experience really using the slow it down and play the parts bit by bit was on Led Zeppelin - Ramble on
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
Quote by Thegian
Lets say i was using this, set it to 120 bpm (4/4), do i play one note per click? or 4 note between the clicks? xD i know right?

Picture each click as a bass drum hit. In a 4/4 song, it would be 4 beats per measure, so 4 clicks per measure. When you tap your foot along to a song, in most cases each foot tap = each metronome click. Sorry if that's a kinda muddled explination.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
It doesn't really matter how many notes you play per click. If you play one note per click at 220 b.p.m. or two at 110 b.p.m or four at 55 b.p.m. you're playing the same amount of notes. The click is just the beat, so you can play whole notes or half notes or quarters notes or anything.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
It doesn't really matter how many notes you play per click. If you play one note per click at 220 b.p.m. or two at 110 b.p.m or four at 55 b.p.m. you're playing the same amount of notes. The click is just the beat, so you can play whole notes or half notes or quarters notes or anything.

Thanks alot man, that actually explained all of my issue.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
Quote by jazz_rock_feel

Would I be correct in thinking that quater notes would be playing 4 notes per clickand 8ths would be 8 per click?
No. Let's say we're talking standard 4/4 time. There are two half notes in a bar, four quarter notes and eight eight notes and sixteen sixteenth notes. Each click represents one beat in a bar, in 4/4 there are 4 beats in each bar, each of them a quarter note. So playing one note per click (again, 4/4 or any denomination of 4 (2/4, 3/4, 4/4, 5/4 etc.)) would be quarter notes.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
No. Let's say we're talking standard 4/4 time. There are two half notes in a bar, four quarter notes and eight eight notes and sixteen sixteenth notes. Each click represents one beat in a bar, in 4/4 there are 4 beats in each bar, each of them a quarter note. So playing one note per click (again, 4/4 or any denomination of 4 (2/4, 3/4, 4/4, 5/4 etc.)) would be quarter notes.

So two notes per click in 4/4 would be eighth notes and 4 notes per click would be sixteenth notes?
Metallica's Kill Em All album. Learn it note for note and enjoy your results.
STRAIGHT EDGE

I have chosen this path...

not to fit a mold,

not to join a trend,

not to follow a crowd,

but because it is right for me

XXX
thank you everyone for the help.
Equiptment: