Ok, im bout' to go buy a new acoustic for under 300$ or somewhere close to that...what should i look for when i go...what should i play on the guitar to "test" the sound/tone etc???Thanks!

P.S: i get a little shy(don't know the word) at guitar center because i see all these guys just straight jammin' only been there once, lol, any advice?

THANKS!
I guess you should ask one of these jammin` guys if the could pick a guitar for you, if you`re not to shy ;p

what do you mean by "what should i play on the guitar to "test" the sound/tone etc?" ?
song titles?
At that price level, you're looking for a good build. The frets shouldn't stick out past the sides of the neck. If they do, it can hurt your hands and doesn't feel good. The action of the guitar should be low, or to your liking. It it's too low, fret buzz will occur. The guitar shouldn't feel cheap. However, for under $300 that may be a tough one to get past. If the guitar has built-in electronics, plug it in to an acoustic amp and try it. It should sound pleasing to you. Check fit of components and finish. Parts should fit together properly and the finish shouldn't have any visible problems.

Play something that you're familiar with. It's also a good idea to have one of the salesman play it, so you can hear what it sounds like from the listener's perspective. The sound you hear when you're playing and what your audience hears, are two different things.

Don't worry about those other guys who can play better than you. Just get out there and play the thing. You're buying the guitar for you. You're not there to put on a concert for them. Chances are, they won't even pay any attention to you, so if you screw up, it's no big deal.
nah, like i can play most chords fine, and know most of the stuff, its just i get intimmidated seeing guys shred lol and being like "dang, i can't do that " lol
you could probably pick up a nice alvarez, they r pretty nice and i think the rd8 or even higher is less than 300. they feel and sound great
Let me fill you in on a little secret... Most of the kiddies playing the electric guitars at level 10... you know the ones. They're playing the power chords and trying to act is if they know how to play. Know which ones I'm talking about? They can't play either. All they know is what they're cutting loose on at that moment. They're the king of the power chord and nothing else. They all look into the acoustic room at GC and feel envious that they can't play like the guys in there. So, walk past the guys trying to "get their shred on", smile and enter the acoustic room and get your groove on. Play something you know using the chords you know and you'll be fine.
Quote by KG6_Steven
Let me fill you in on a little secret... Most of the kiddies playing the electric guitars at level 10... you know the ones. They're playing the power chords and trying to act is if they know how to play. Know which ones I'm talking about? They can't play either. All they know is what they're cutting loose on at that moment. They're the king of the power chord and nothing else. They all look into the acoustic room at GC and feel envious that they can't play like the guys in there. So, walk past the guys trying to "get their shred on", smile and enter the acoustic room and get your groove on. Play something you know using the chords you know and you'll be fine.

or the sweep guys..

lol
Quote by KG6_Steven

Well said.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
dude just relax when you get in there. i always start with an open g chord when i pick up a new guitar. just strum some chords. make stuff up. i reccomend playing some slightly stoopid if you've ever heard them. that should impress some people.
dave matthews might.. just.. be.. god..

Quote by gregs1020
yes, pointing it at your head will send the sound towards your head.

it's the same with guns too, before you go testing that one.