Hi. Im gonna buy a new amp one of these days and ive been looking at the Bogner Alchmeist head, Engl Thunder head and The line 6 valve head.
Whick is seh best?

Ive already have the Marshall Vintage Moderne half stack wich i love but i wanna something to play more modern metall.

I will be using the VM cab and the guitar i use is a strat modded with a dimarzio pickup.

I have about 1500 us dollars. i live in Norway( yeeey) and everything is expensiv here.

Tnx
Engl without doubt.
Archbishop of Zeppelinism...

Quote by Beakwithteeth
Get him into blues. Lyrical depth-not so much. But it is groovy and it is black people's music so if he doesn't enjoy then he is not a true black person.

They're all great amps, without a doubt, but the Engl will do the best job for metal. The Line 6 amp is very versatile, though!
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
If your talking about a Spider Valve then don't even compare it to those other amps. It's not a bad amp and obviously better than the Spider 2 or 3 but it's way overpriced for the tone your getting, the high gain channels are really digital sounding IMO. I played it for about an hour and was not impressed.

Go with the ENGL, no doubt.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
I want that early metallica master of puppets sound i can almost get it with my vm.
you could boost your VM for an extra bit O' gain
but from those amps
Engl by far
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
ENGL, the thunder is a real , simple workhorse.
Orange Enthousiast.
i think there are better modern metal amps in that price range, those brands are great but in their metal amps are way better in a higher price range. look peavey, or save up a bit and go for the Engl fireball
Guitars-LEFTY
Bernie Rico Jr. Custom Jekyll
Schecter ATX
Schecter Tempest Cust.
Ibanez GIO
Amps
Laney VH100R-Sell/Trade?? pm me
Cube 15
Misc.
THD HOT plate Attentuator and other stuff
I've never played the Engl, but I do really like the Bogner Alchemist, played one for a couple hours, loved the tones I could get out of it.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Why the Spider Valve, you can get a used Vetta II for less than the price of a new spider valve and it will sound much better.

Personally I would go with the Vetta, Alchemist, then ENGL. The thunder isn't nearly as high gain as the fireball or powerball.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Thunder with an OD I was about to suggest the Bogner Alchemist too, as I thought it might be higher gain than the ENGL too.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by MESAexplorer
Why the Spider Valve, you can get a used Vetta II for less than the price of a new spider valve and it will sound much better.

Personally I would go with the Vetta, Alchemist, then ENGL. The thunder isn't nearly as high gain as the fireball or powerball.

wrong.

My Thunder produces the same amount of gain as my friends powerball, the screamer has less gain tho. Also get the Head , because the combo lacks balls.
Orange Enthousiast.
ENGL ftw, I don't like the spider or the alchemist. Sound fake to me.
WTLTL 2011
i love the alchemist, but i couldn't get anywhere near metal tones with it...i may have been doing something wrong though. engl all the way
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
^^^I thought that about the Alchemist at first too, then I started messing with the EQ a little. The amp has a ton of low end, so you really need to boost the highs to get the tight sound for metal. I got a great metal tone from it, or at least in my opinion, it took a few minutes of dialing in though.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Find an Ampeg VH-140C. Pretty much Death Metal in a box. And awesome cleans too.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Quote by TTC
wrong.

My Thunder produces the same amount of gain as my friends powerball, the screamer has less gain tho. Also get the Head , because the combo lacks balls.

Uhh..the thunder has enough gain for most metal, but if your thunder has as much gain on tap as his powerball, something is seriously wrong.

is his powerball on channel 4? or even 3?
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
channel 4 , Let me demonstrate with a sample :

http://noxa.net/muziek/thesilencing

Go to the music player on the bottom right and click on arrow next to the second "Nieuw idee Teaser". then after Noise, the poppy chords and the the lousy breakdown ( my excuses for that, this recording wasn't taken serious, it was just recorded so that we don't forget the riffs :p) I start playing the fast riff metalcore riff and my mate joins me after 2 beats with some basic chords following my chord progression.I'm playing my Ibanez RGA 121H with stock pickups. And my mate is playing a LTD EC500 with EMGS and his Powerball with a 2x12 Framus cab.
Orange Enthousiast.
Last edited by TTC at Jan 24, 2009,
Quote by TTC
channel 4 , Let me demonstrate with a sample :

http://noxa.net/muziek/thesilencing

Go to the music player on the bottom right and click on arrow next to the second "Nieuw idee Teaser". then after Noise, the poppy chords and the the lousy breakdown ( my excuses for that, this recording wasn't taken serious, it was just recorded so that we don't forget the riffs :p) I start playing the fast riff metalcore riff and my mate joins me after 2 beats with some basic chords following my chord progression.I'm playing my Ibanez RGA 121H with stock pickups. And my mate is playing a LTD EC500 with EMGS and his Powerball with a 2x12 Framus cab.

Where was his gain set?
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
On 5 but he does use a eq pedal in the fx loop to get a tighter sound.

Mine was on 7 , but I didn't have active pickups to boost my sound.
Orange Enthousiast.
I love my Alchemist, but it definitely cant do "modern metal".
The Spider Valve I think would be a waste of money. Too many features, not enough TONE, but you can definitely get a nice metal sound out of those, but thats it.
ENGL Thunder, I don't know quite much about. Looks promising and very straightforward though.
The spider Valve sounded sorta like the Spider III's only better at medium-higher volumes, to me. but i've never had the pleasure of playing an ENGL or Bogner
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Quote by TTC
On 5 but he does use a eq pedal in the fx loop to get a tighter sound.

Mine was on 7 , but I didn't have active pickups to boost my sound.

Active pickups do not boost the input signal of your guitar any higher than the output of moderately high gain pickups such as those found in your Ibanez's. They compress the sound with the lack of pickup strength and boost it for the output. Passives, where they have more dynamics, will give a higher output about 95% of the time.

My amp preference still stands. If I were to go for a lower end ENGL it would be the Blackmore, or Fireball, not the thunder or screamer.

I don't see how some of you guys couldn't get a metal tone out of an alchemist. Sounds like a problem somewhere, I was getting a great metal tone with the gain at a little over half. Sounds similar to Tool, Lamb of God, really middy, a little dry, and a pretty large harmonic top end. Sounded quite a bit like my Dragon, but a little less fuzzy and didn't cut quite as well. I would probably wait a little bit before buying one just because they're new, and made in china.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio