my band and i dont have jobs. bummer.
and have little to no chance of getting any based on our 'unconventional' appearance shall we say, and also dont forget the economy is not exactly flourishing.

so being realistic here, we have NO money
and generally the only way to GET money in the first place is to get discovered and play some gigs. and nowhere wants to have us without a demo so we need to make one.

we'll be doing this at home or in a school or college and have NO experience. so how can we make the best of our basic equipment and 'funds'. and once done, how do we mix it down to make it sound powerful, rhythmic and punchy?
You can't. Because right now you're probably having unrealistic expectations. You're limited to computer mics, and free recording software. The software isn't that bad, but you won't be able to make anything sound 'puncy, rhythmic, or powerful' with just a computer mic through your sound card.

Your best bet is to pool your band resources together and get a pre-amp, compressor, a GOOD mic (like a Shure 57 or 58). Gonna cost you guys about 400$ for cheap stuff. Sorry bro, just how the industry works.
Quote by Ryzeke1
You can't. Because right now you're probably having unrealistic expectations. You're limited to computer mics, and free recording software. The software isn't that bad, but you won't be able to make anything sound 'puncy, rhythmic, or powerful' with just a computer mic through your sound card.

Your best bet is to pool your band resources together and get a pre-amp, compressor, a GOOD mic (like a Shure 57 or 58). Gonna cost you guys about 400$ for cheap stuff. Sorry bro, just how the industry works.

fair enough. i reckon our singer has a REALLY old mixer somewhere and some really bad little mics though. so we've got a bit of equipment. if we were to use those, would the quality be too bad?
It would certainly improve, yes. Just to give you an estimate, I've sunk about $3200 into my home recording equipment, and it's still on an amateur level as far as quality goes.

Depending on your singer's mixer, it may already have a pre-amp in it, which helps out quite a bit. I also forgot to mention the cost of cables.

I hate the cost of cables....
Their are plenty of free audio mixing software's out there. Now I'm not experienced myself (sorry!), but on my computer I have a software called Audacity. Google it. It's a completly free download. You can record your music of each instrument separtly (make sure you have an external microphone connected to your computer) and put them together and export it as a single mp3 file. You can also add effects to certain parts and clean up the background noise and static for a more "perfessonal sound." I don't have a band or anything, but I thought this might help you out since you are on a tight budget and everything. Good luck!
^ the issue here isn't the software, but the fact that decent mics and pre-amps are expensive and the OP has no money. all the software in the world is no good if your using $2 radioshack mics
if you could get 150 bucks you can get some decent stuff going. Get a sm57 and a usb to mic converter (icicle/micmate for example) then download reaper (its free) then you should be good to go. I mean granted its not great but it would be enough for a rough demo at least. You can download something such as mydrumset (see sticky at the top of the recording forum page) and program the drums.

Good luck guys. Economy sucks and looking "wierd" doesnt help. Ehh people and thier lame views on the way things should be normal. anyways. . .
Hope it works out for you all.

-Ryan
You assume he wishes to learn, and install a new OS as well as take up harddrive space because i'm sure he does not wish to get rid of windows (no matter how crap it is)
Quote by wardyh
my band and i dont have jobs. bummer.
and have little to no chance of getting any based on our 'unconventional' appearance shall we say, and also dont forget the economy is not exactly flourishing.

so being realistic here, we have NO money
and generally the only way to GET money in the first place is to get discovered and play some gigs. and nowhere wants to have us without a demo so we need to make one.

we'll be doing this at home or in a school or college and have NO experience. so how can we make the best of our basic equipment and 'funds'. and once done, how do we mix it down to make it sound powerful, rhythmic and punchy?

idea: get a job.

idea #2: sell stuff.

idea #3: It would probably be cheaper to just go to a studio for a few hours then go and buy ****loads of recording equipment and only using it for a demo.

sorry to come off as harsh, and i'm probably being a slight hypocrite, since my band is my job as well, but you need to change something to get money.

good luck.
Yep, you'll probably be best off just scraping together some money and going into a cheap studio for a few hours and getting as much done as possible. Make sure you're really really tight before you go in, to make the best use of your limited time.

EDIT : Out of curiosity, what does your 'unconventional' appearance entail?
There is poetry in despair.
Last edited by fridge_raider at Jan 25, 2009,
Quote by wardyh
fair enough. i reckon our singer has a REALLY old mixer somewhere and some really bad little mics though. so we've got a bit of equipment. if we were to use those, would the quality be too bad?

Old doesn't mean bad. It could be a nice old valve desk for all anyone knows...
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Something is better than nothing, use what you have, seems to be the only option. That or if your appearance is what i think it might be, (gothic yes?) maybe try looking around for gothic shops, even if its a clothes shop.