Page 1 of 2
Hey all, I was thinking about trying to distill some of my own vodka or something just for kicks. Although I hear that the process is lengthy and can be dangerous if you do it wrong. Has anybody tried it? Is it worth it?
Quote by spazzymagee417
i would pay more for a midget corpse than an average size corpse
Depends, would you still think being drunk is fun when you're blind?

But seriously look it up, my friends parents brewed they're own beer before, i think it may have been some kit though which may be completely different.
Why dont you just buy it? Odds are the cheapest vodka you can find will be cheaper and better than your attempt. Brewing beers easy enough though.
Yeah I wouldn't try with the vodka. Good chance you'll end up screwing up somewhere. Besides as said above shop bought vodka will probabely be better, cheaper and less likely to leave you blind.

On a seperate note doesn't Allan Holdsworth brew his own beer?
Well it's a myth that you can get blind from alcohol. But if you add a specific ingrediense (don't know what it is) at first it makes you blind and then you die.
its also illegal to distill
Quote by Td_Nights
*Points to Above Poster*

Best. Username. Ever.

Quote by _-Joey-_
I wish I was gay...

PSN- td_rules Steam- tdrules
If you want to brew your own alchohol, learn how to do it first from someone who knows how, typically someone who is in the distillery business. Or find a shop that sells kits for that, they probably will be able to give you tips that will reduce the risk of screwing up.
Last edited by Guitargod12345 at Jan 24, 2009,
you could make moonshine, its illegal and can be dangrous to makr but one sip will knock you on your ass.
My mother lives next to an Italian couple (Straight off the boat), and they make wine. It tastes terrible, but I always get wasted over there.
AMERICA
AMERICA
AMERICA
Quote by JHart
Well it's a myth that you can get blind from alcohol. But if you add a specific ingrediense (don't know what it is) at first it makes you blind and then you die.

Ethanol is the alcohol we know

Methanol makes you blind!
It is illegal (in the UK at least) to distill your own alcohol without somekind of license. Making beer, cider etc. is fine but not spirits that are distilled. You shouldnt go blind unless it has a crazy high percentage, but i wouldnt know how to measure that. Its stuff like meths that has a chemical put in it that will poison you if you drink. Any kind of pure alcohol will have a ridicolously high tax on it anyway if it hasnt been poisoned.
dude the reason moonshine is illegalized is because it can make you go blind
Quote by tdrules
its also illegal to distill

Exactly. It is illegal. Everywhere in the entire world. Cause we have that single global government now.

Brew some mead or beer- you can get home-brew kits online.
Quote by iceman95
ok
here's what you do
1. Take a fork, preferably metal.
2. Put some tomato sauce on it.
3. Let tomato sauce on fork dry.
4. Turn it in and call it: "The Spaghetti Massacre."

New guitar fund = beer/0
http://www.home-distilling.com/

And my advice would be that if you have to ask, you shouldn't be doing it, i.e.;
Anyone ever perform a vasectomy?
Anyone ever remove their own spleen?
Epiphone SG
Crate V-18 212
Xaviere XV-500
Boss PS-5 SUPER Shifter
Digitech Bad Monkey

SWINE FLU FREE SINCE 1974
Quote by JHart

If you don't brew correctly, that is if you mess up just one of the many steps in the brewing process, you'll be distilling methanol instead of ethanol. They're both alcohol, but ethanol is the consumable variant, while methanol can cause blindness and, eventually, death.
Quote by JHart

This isn't true at all.

Methanol will actually cause blindness, and is a by-product of every distilled alcohol that has to be skimmed completely off the surface of the alcohol before you can drink it.

In the old days people didn't know this, hence the stories of people going blind after drinking moonshine.
Electrolytes Smell Like Semen...
Quote by Ozwal
Ethanol is the alcohol we know

Methanol makes you blind!

This is what I was talking about. It's safe if you can take out the methanol (the **** that makes you go blind) and leave just the ethanol.
Quote by spazzymagee417
Yeah stick to beer or wine. Vodka takes FOREVER to make and way more expensive than just going out and bying a bottle.
By the way, i Knew someone who drank 100% ethanol and they said that they couldn't taste the alcohol at ALL, there have to be some kind of taste in before it tastes of alcohol!
Quote by slayer_rule_\m/
Also you will proberly get better results from beer and wine.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know. I just think that distilling vodka would be cooler, and all home beer or winemaking kits are so like "open up this packet and pour it into this mixture." You don't actually collect the ingredients for yourself
Quote by spazzymagee417
Quote by Tedrick
This is what I was talking about. It's safe if you can take out the methanol (the **** that makes you go blind) and leave just the ethanol.

That's why it's worth paying for booze.
Quote by Tedrick
Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know. I just think that distilling vodka would be cooler, and all home beer or winemaking kits are so like "open up this packet and pour it into this mixture." You don't actually collect the ingredients for yourself

True.
If you want to do it the proper way, i think it would be best finding books on doing so and/or talking to someone who works in the industry.
I think cider would be the easiest to make?
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Quote by Kear Bear
dude the reason moonshine is illegalized is because it can make you go blind

No, it's not. The government doesn't care if you go blind.

It is illegal in the US to distill your own alcohol because the government has heavy taxes on the alcohol industry. That is the reason that rubbing alcohol is poisonous; chemicals are added to the rubbing alcohol to make it poisonous so the companies that make it can avoid the distiller's tax. The same is true for tobacco.
Quote by MightyAl
That's why it's worth paying for booze.

I'm not doing it because I don't want to pay for alcohol. I just think that it would be an interesting project
Quote by spazzymagee417
Then go ahead and die blind. Stop bickering with the Pit.
Epiphone SG
Crate V-18 212
Xaviere XV-500
Boss PS-5 SUPER Shifter
Digitech Bad Monkey

Quote by MoroneSaxatilis
Then go ahead and die blind. Stop bickering with the Pit.

What the hell is with all the hate? I'm not bickering, I just asked a fairly simple question that just about no one actually responded to
Quote by spazzymagee417
To answer to your questions:

- Has anybody tried? Obviously, nobody in here has, because everybody starts bitching about the negative effects and the law and whatnot.

- Is it worth it? To get an answer to this, therefore, you must see somebody who has actually done it. Somebody in the business...? I don't think the Pit will be of much help here.

Cheers!
Quote by Tedrick
What the hell is with all the hate? I'm not bickering, I just asked a fairly simple question that just about no one actually responded to

Everyone who tells you why you can't do it gets a response from you like;

"I know that, I just want to try it."

SO GO DO IT.

And please repost here later;

Pit; I'm blind and should have listened to you.

Epic lulz will follow.
Epiphone SG
Crate V-18 212
Xaviere XV-500
Boss PS-5 SUPER Shifter
Digitech Bad Monkey

^ Dude, stop dissing him. Read better.
Quote by Tedrick
I'm not doing it because I don't want to pay for alcohol. I just think that it would be an interesting project

He just wants to try it, as a project, to see if he'd succeed. It's not that he's going to drink the whole damn bottle if he's done.
easier to make ur own wine. take a jug of grapejuice, add yeast, close it up tight, leave it in the back of ur closet for a month or two. me and my dad tried brewing our own beer once and it came out really sh1tty.
Is your name Mike? Do you want to be everyone's friend? Do you look similar to lots of other people? If so click here

Quote by LesPaulLeader08

Fucking win S&R!
Last edited by Silence&Requiem at Jan 24, 2009,
Quote by Guitargod12345
If you want to brew your own alchohol, learn how to do it first from someone who knows how, typically someone who is in the distillery business. Or find a shop that sells kits for that, they probably will be able to give you tips that will reduce the risk of screwing up.

+1

Got wine kit things here, they seem to work pretty well.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Quote by Tedrick

In that case, I'd advise you start with brewing, and then move on to distilling. Assuming you're happy to run the risks(legal and otherwise).
Try starting with a 'make your own' beer/wine kit. Take a tour of a local micro-brewery or something - you might be able to get a lot of good information there about the process, and selecting ingredients etc.
Last edited by MightyAl at Jan 24, 2009,
Quote by Tedrick

I read just fine, and I'm not getting involved with you guitarist, sorry.

If he's going to do it regardless of our warnings and suggestions, stop deflecting and go do it.
Epiphone SG
Crate V-18 212
Xaviere XV-500
Boss PS-5 SUPER Shifter
Digitech Bad Monkey

And I wasn't hating.

I hope he succeeds in his quest.

I hope he creates delicious Vodka.

I hope it's a fun hobby.

Sincerely.

Everyone feel better now?
Epiphone SG
Crate V-18 212
Xaviere XV-500
Boss PS-5 SUPER Shifter
Digitech Bad Monkey

Quote by MoroneSaxatilis
I read just fine, and I'm not getting involved with you guitarist, sorry.

If he's going to do it regardless of our warnings and suggestions, stop deflecting and go do it.

TS: "Hey, this is something interesting I want to try out, as an science project"
You: "NO, DON'T DO IT, IDIOT, IT'S DANGEROUS!"
TS: "But it's just a science project"
You: "FINE, GO AHEAD AND IGNORE OUR WARNINGS!"
Me: "He's just trying to do a science project"
You: "I'm not getting involved with you"

What sense are you making, actually?
Quote by niflag
Exactly. It is illegal. Everywhere in the entire world. Cause we have that single global government now.

Brew some mead or beer- you can get home-brew kits online.

actually im pretty sure its just illegal to sell without a license i dont think its illegal to brew in the US
As previously stated, I am simply not going to get involved with you guitarist.

The sexual tension between us is THICK isn't it?
Epiphone SG
Crate V-18 212
Xaviere XV-500
Boss PS-5 SUPER Shifter
Digitech Bad Monkey

Page 1 of 2