I am a junior in high school and by this time next year, I got to decide where I am going to college and a general idea of what I want to do. I want to know if any of you guys have had experiences with some possible career opportunities.

I was thinking about becoming a music lawyer. I remember there was a video or an article here a little while ago about a music lawyer and what he does. However, I cannot find this video, maybe you guys can help me out. I want to know a lot more about this profession and exactly what they do.

There is also the possibility of starting my own studio, probably in a place like Nashville, New York, or LA. However, again I know nothing about this. Also, it is probably a lot more risky considering there have got to be hundreds of studios in these places. This would also probably require a business law degree to become really successful, which wouldn't be too bad.

I want to be happy but at the same time, I want to make a decent amount of money to the point where I can enjoy music outside of work; going to concerts and spending too much money on new guitar equipment. I think it would be really cool to start a studio though. I just really would like to work side by side with some real artists.

I am also thinking about taking a road trip this summer, going around the country looking at studios, talking to owners and music lawyers. That way, I can get a few connections, maybe sit in on some sessions. I would love to visit Avatar Studios down in New York. Another plus is that my dad works at a big radio station owned by Bonneville Radio, he knows a few people as well.
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

I was thinking about pursuing a career in music, although I would be on the performance end of the equation.

My views have since changed though and I feel having a solid job in another field while still being able to hold down a band/jam with other players would make me most happy. I only recently came to that conclusion and I was in your position last year.

If theres something else you like, maybe study that formally and then hold some sort of music related career outside of your regular job.
try starting a record label? or producing. hell you could even open up your own venue. if you get enough bands to come through you can make a lot of money having a bunch of clubs.
Quote by WlCmToTheJungle

I am also thinking about taking a road trip this summer, going around the country looking at studios, talking to owners and music lawyers. That way, I can get a few connections, maybe sit in on some sessions. I would love to visit Avatar Studios down in New York. Another plus is that my dad works at a big radio station owned by Bonneville Radio, he knows a few people as well.

this is a good way to start. i would recommend doing a law degree and see where that goes. you probably won't be able to focus on a particular type of law until later on in your degree, but this is not a bad thing because you might change your mind for something else which interests you more.

for the moment just do your best in school.
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
studio is probably the less likely to make you successfull, just because of what you said, there ARE a good bit of studios in those places already. yours would have to be above average to get more artists to want to use your studio. but if youre willing to/know how to make that possible, go fo it.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

South Carolina Gamecocks

Quote by SGstriker
Chef Strato-Massacre: Cooking shitstorms since that comment.

Quote by PurpleClawz
Damnit why are you full of so much win
Quote by loudog93
try starting a record label? or producing. hell you could even open up your own venue. if you get enough bands to come through you can make a lot of money having a bunch of clubs.

THis is what i want to do. not necessarily as my main career, but i know i want this to happen eventually. make a good place for local bands. And maybe connect the venue and recording studio.