My problem is that when I'm playing gigs or rehearsing with my band and when its time to play a solo or something that is supposed to be in the "center of the music" it always gets swallowed up by the noise made by the other instruments. What am I supposed to do? Should everyone control their volume on their instruments and turn it up when it's their moment to shine or do you need a professional sound technician that does that on the mixer board or something like that?

(I play metal in a band with two guitarists and one bass player. )

I'm thankful for any helpful responses!
boost? add mids---I'm serious. 0 mids=**** tone.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Who cares wrong forum.

Insert an eq into your signal path with a large mid and high hump.

Turn it on when the solo comes.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
I concur with sesstreets. An eq set precisely that way will definitely do it. And, Yeah playing with two other guitarist, you'll need somehting.
AL
Quote by sesstreets
Who cares wrong forum.

people who arent idiots care if its the wrong forum. we have different forums for different things for a reason. posting in the correct forum gets better responses, simple as that. people like you who dont care about what forum things are in make using UG worse for the rest of us. so shut the hell up about things you dont understand. thanks

*and moved*
Boost mids, volume, etc... look into an overdrive pedal and/or equalizer pedal.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Mid boost, as others are saying. An EQ or a tube screamer with just the volume and tone up, gain almost off.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
A compression pedal will help you step out in the mix when you need to. a Dyna Comp is only like 70 bucks.
Sig What?
MXR Mirco Amp should do the job.

It basically a volume boost to cut through the mix and a little bit of a od if its a tube amp
make sure the frequencies arent overlapping. make sure your other bandmates' tones arent all similar. if you all play 6505s with EMG81/85 equipped ESPs, it doesn't matter what you use, it's gonna get mixed up.

use different EQ settings on your amp, use different amps. try not to use the same equipment. and try to stay away from EMGs. anything with EMGs in it sounds similar. a shoebox ukulele with EMGs will sound like an LTD with EMGs.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
As mentioned above, try boosting your mids with an EQ pedal or something of the likes to cut through more. It helps A TON. And you can also have everyone else in the band play a little quieter if possible.

Quote by timi_hendrix
Overdrive pedal, clean boost, or EQ pedal. Your choice.

Yeah, clean boosts work well also. I recommend looking into the RC Booster, it's a GREAT little clean booster. I personally like to use an overdrive AND an EQ...that makes me cut through enough, but it's all a matter of personal opinion.
Last edited by GNRjungle87 at Jan 24, 2009,