My problem is that when I'm playing gigs or rehearsing with my band and when its time to play a solo or something that is supposed to be in the "center of the music" it always gets swallowed up by the noise made by the other instruments. What am I supposed to do? Should everyone control their volume on their instruments and turn it up when it's their moment to shine or do you need a professional sound technician that does that on the mixer board or something like that?

(I play metal in a band with two guitarists and one bass player. )

I'm thankful for any helpful responses!
turn their volume down... and/or turn yours up... not too hard to figure out have a pedal that when turned on blows out there volume
boost pedal
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
use an EQ pedal as a boost and also use it to boost your mids and highs when you're about to play the solo
Quote by cedaguol
use an EQ pedal as a boost and also use it to boost your mids and highs when you're about to play the solo

this.

You don't necessarily need to boost the volume, although it can help. If you're alread loud enough for your rhythm tone, yet it sounds empty when you reach an instrumental section in the song such as a guitar solo, you need to boost the mids, particularly those upper midrange 'vocal' frequencies.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
yeah a boost pedal or an EQ pedal with a little boost on volume
thats what i do
Gear:
LTD MH-1000
Ibanez RG350EX
ibanez GSA60
Line 6 Spider III 30W
Peavey ValveKing 112
Boss GE-7 EQ
Electro-Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Digitech RP350
get a boost pedal, or if you want, an overdrive and turn the level up and use it as both a boost and overdrive.
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
this is what i do:

if you have a big amp, like halfstack lets say, or any other amp that you can use a pedal to change channels. Get the awesome solo sound you want on the amp and turn the amp a bit louder then everything else.
Then use a distortion pedal and get the sick rythm tone, just turn the volume down on the pedal a bit, so your volume matches everyone else.
Since you need to have the amp on clean with the distortion pedal on and not sound like crap, just use the pedal up untill you need the solo sound.
Thats when you step on both so one pedal changes to the distortion on the amp (the loud solo sound), and the other turnes the pedal off so you dont sound like a wall of buzzing.

hope this helped
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Last edited by Tango616 at Jan 25, 2009,
bugeras come with a boost function activated trough the footswitch its like adding 4 to the volume. its awesome
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
get a music book, and slap every member of your band with the page titled 'dynamics'
A mid boost is the most effective way to get heard. Either with an EQ or something like a Tubescreamer, you can add mids and volume, along with perhaps some gain and away you go. Magic!
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay