Hey I bought a deluxe american standard ash stratocaster..cherry burst in color...it has the s-1 switching with the samarium cobalt P'ups in it..I love this guitar, and it can definately handle all the rhcp, hendrix, clapton, Jimmy page i like playing pretty well..but im also into heavier stuff, like van halen, iron maiden, metallica, buckethead, and satch and i find it just doesn't cut it

i was looking into getting the SHR-1 hot rails for the bridge position for now..i've heard great things but never had any personal experience with them and i know dave murray(my favorite guitarist) used/uses hotrails..so i think it would be a good choice.

My pedal is a korg ax5g, my amp is a marshall 30dfx(there not the best i know but its gonna cost a bit to upgrade these, whereas a pickup is usually around 100 bucks)

im just wondering if there are any other suggestions you people might have as too good single coil pickups for that heavier full sound..or what you think of the hot rails.

also should i get pickups for the middle and the neck aswell? or is changing the bridge fine for now(bridge is where i play most of the time)
"(there not the best i know but its gonna cost a bit to upgrade these, whereas a pickup is usually around 100 bucks)"

Yeah, except it will do a lot more for your tone.

New pickups aren't gonna make you sound a whole lot better with that amp.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
All of the guys you listed under "heavier stuff" use humbuckers. A humbucking single coil doesn't sound like a humbucker, it sounds different from both a single and a hum.

Also, upgrade your amp before you even think about pickups.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Everything those two have said has been right on the money. You need a new amp.

When you decide to switch pickups, try getting a genuine humbucker; check under the scratchplate; if it's universally routed, you can just get a new scratchplate of rerout the current one to accomodate a real humbucker. If not, then the hot rails or a similar humbucking Strat pickup is all you can really do.
Or take the Gilmour option and put on EMG active single coils which to my ear make the sweetest sounding strat you can find. (If any strat sounds ok its Gilmours)

Oh, I did hear a guy using a hot rails on a crappy old Yamaha RGX110 single p/u. It sounded wonderful but maybe that had more to do with the 2x50 Marshall full stack.
Last edited by Lurcher at Jan 24, 2009,
get a new amp whats your max budget?

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Lace Sensors?
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Fender American Strat/Tele->Vox V847 Wah->EH LPB-1->BK Butler Tube Driver->Big Muff Pi->MXR Carbon Copy->EH Small Clone->Vox AC30/Orange Tiny Terror/Blues Deluxe RI
Some Lindy Fralin pickups.

But I'd worry about your amp before upgrading your guitar.
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
Upgrade the amp. Then either make your Strat HSS, or if you don't want to do that like me, keep the Strat with single coils, so you can play Hendrix and all, and buy a humbucking guitar, that's what I want to do, that way I can choose the two for different sounds.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Good. Any idea what amp you'll get?
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
New pickups will make zero difference on an MG.
Definitely wait the few months, and get something versatile like a Peavey Windsor or JSX.
Eh, I'd skip on the Peaveys.

B-52 AT-112 is right up your alley.

If you'd want something less gain, or more British voiced, the AC15 or Orange Tiny Terror would be great.
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Fender American Strat/Tele->Vox V847 Wah->EH LPB-1->BK Butler Tube Driver->Big Muff Pi->MXR Carbon Copy->EH Small Clone->Vox AC30/Orange Tiny Terror/Blues Deluxe RI