Hey,
I got a small chip on my acoustic and some bare wood is showing.
I want to prevent it from getting any bigger so what can i seal it with?

Thanks
hmm i never thought superglue.

Now that I think of it, I have Hard as Wraps nail polish, would that do the trick?
Yes, use the nail polish instead of superglue. GC Shred Off should not have suggested that, and here's why. As superglue cures, it gives off a lot of nasty fumes which will leave a white haze in the immediate vacinity of the application site. This white stuff is corrosive to a lot of materials, including the finish of a guitar. Nail polish on the other hand does not leave this residue behind as it hardens, plus it can be removed later on with nail polish without causing any harm to the finish of the guitar, should you choose to have it professionally repaired.
Quote by LeftyDave
Yes, use the nail polish instead of superglue. GC Shred Off should not have suggested that, and here's why. As superglue cures, it gives off a lot of nasty fumes which will leave a white haze in the immediate vacinity of the application site. This white stuff is corrosive to a lot of materials, including the finish of a guitar. Nail polish on the other hand does not leave this residue behind as it hardens, plus it can be removed later on with nail polish without causing any harm to the finish of the guitar, should you choose to have it professionally repaired.

Good catch, I should have been more careful because superglue is a brand, not a specific type of glue. You are correct that glues with certain bases will corrode.

But in the case of very small dings, cyanoacrylate glues (like standard superglue) will be fine for stabilizing. They will not mask the mark, but do the job structurally. Any large dings will show the yellowish haze that superglue gets as it cures. I've done small repairs with it many times without issue. I think modern nail polishes are styrene acrylate, which is less rigid but more transparent after curing. Both types have worked in the past for me.

Edit: Here's a little bit I found.

Thin CA glue is also used as a wood finish, particularly among woodturners. Its fast drying time and glossy finish make it ideal for small applications which generally look best when glossy (such as pens), although it is messy and somewhat expensive. A common mistake made by novice users is to use an accelerator, which can cloud and thus ruin the finish.
Last edited by GC Shred Off at Jan 25, 2009,
I'm confused. It sounds to me like there is just a chip in the finish. If there is, I would just leave it. You're going to get a lot of those over the life of the guitar. And you don't want to be one of those "O NOES, I HAZ A SKRACH!" guys, do you? You'll go insane.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
I'm confused. It sounds to me like there is just a chip in the finish. If there is, I would just leave it. You're going to get a lot of those over the life of the guitar. And you don't want to be one of those "O NOES, I HAZ A SKRACH!" guys, do you? You'll go insane.

It is a chip in the finish, I just want to stop more of he finish from chipping off at the point since the bare wood is exposed
^ I wouldn't worry about it getting bigger. My first guitar has a huge chip in it from my strumming. I always clipped my pick against the bottom edge of the soundhole and now the bare wood is also exposed. It just makes the guitar look well used. Although, I don't have a gloss finish... It still shouldn't get bigger though. Not unless you poke at it.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
The guys above know what they are talking about, but I wouldn't even fool with it either unless it's a really nice guitar
Yeah...just to comment further....

My guitar is covered in chips and dents, but they never spread. And even if you have a really high-dollar guitar, chances are that over time the thing will get the "beaten to hell and back" look.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray