so im building a guitar, i was going to cut out the body with a jigsaw but it isnt powerful enough, i used various blades but all resulted in violent shaking so i gave up. my problem is, the wood is 1 7/8" inches thick and i cant cut it out. i dont have access to a bandsaw so im stuck. im thinking about investing in some kind of saw but im not sure what to invest in. any ideas?

edit: im also short on cash since im building a guitar.
Last edited by necroscience13 at Jan 24, 2009,
You can totally do a guitar with a jigsaw... yeah.

Clamp the body down, have someone hold it down in addition some clamps, man the fuck up and saw through it.

Provided it isn't an incredibly hard wood you should be OK. What kind of wood is it?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
unless its ash, a jigsaw should work. they dont call ash "the iron wood" for nothing.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
They don't call ash iron wood at all.

They call iron wood iron wood...

Am I missing something?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Did you clamp the piece you're cutting to a solid work bench or table? It helps with the vibration.
Quote by Øttər
They don't call ash iron wood at all.

They call iron wood iron wood...

Am I missing something?

maybe its just a jersey thing...idk
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
isnt routing bodies a pain in the ass though?
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
If your jigsaw can't handle it (I'm not going to call you crazy or an idiot or anything, I know that some just aren't that powerful), and you don't have access to a bandsaw, a reciprocating saw would work, if you can get it held down well... But that would also need you to cut farther out from your design and sand it down, reciprocating saws can have a fairly rough cut.
Quote by tjfishrocker
Coolcat i want to make love to you right now.

Quote by Natrone

Anyone else see the irony in smashing a guitar that says "peace and love" ?
Quote by ohspyro89
You can do it with a router if you want, that's how I cut out all of my bodies. I hardly ever use my bandsaw.

i was actually wondering about that... my jigsaw is poor, my router and bits are very nice. i may try this today on a 1.5 thick maple, see how it goes. i need practice routing anyways.
If u do route, make a template of the body. never freehand route, for the love of God!
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
the wood is a 1 7/8 piece of alder, i dont have much experience with a jigsaw but when i sawed through about an inch of it the writing on the sawblade started to wear really fast.

should i go ahead? because the jigsaw isnt mine and i dont want to break any of the blades. thats why im hesitant.
Last edited by necroscience13 at Jan 24, 2009,
^then route. dont chance it with the jigsaw.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Quote by necroscience13
the wood is a 1 7/8 piece of alder, i dont have much experience with a jigsaw but when i sawed through about an inch of it the writing on the sawblade started to wear really fast.

should i go ahead? because the jigsaw isnt mine and i dont want to break any of the blades. thats why im hesitant.

The writing always wears off damn near instantly.

And jigsaw blades are a few dollars.

Just do it.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
isnt routing bodies a pain in the ass though?

No, I can probably do it quicker and more accurate than most people can with a band saw.

I just start off going about an inch deep with a template, then the second pass I ditch the template and follow the first cut with a bit with a bearing on the shank. Works great.
you use a strait cutter bit? or is there a better option im not using? i started cutting my neck-through out with a router, and while it was working, it was taking a while. i was going about 3/4 in deep for first pass.
Last edited by chris024 at Jan 24, 2009,
Quote by Øttər
The writing always wears off damn near instantly.

And jigsaw blades are a few dollars.

Just do it.

Are you even using the right kind of blade for this? it should have large teeth, and not too many of them on there, because you can get different jigsaw blades, ones with lots of small teeth are for metal generally and dont work to well on wood.