I'm not sure if this goes in here since its about electric guitar, but since its not really a recommendation thread to a full guitar but rather a "parts for a rebuild" and "which accessories/parts are good and highly recommended" I thought that it might fit in here... If however it doesn't please let me know and I will move it... So here goes...

Ok, so I am going to be upgrading my 2003 Ibanez RG170... It has a crap FAT20 bridge in it that needs to go. Also the stock pickups are horrid, the electronics need to be changed, the tuners are crap pot metal that couldn't hold a piece of dental floss in tune, and the nut is the original piece of plastic that has worn down and sucks... But I love the body and the neck feels amazing, so I don't want to just buy a new guitar. So I was thinking about doing a basic tune up and replacing all the parts that I don't like so that its a nicer sounding and playing guitar.

I have made a parts list and I want to run it by y'all and see what y'all think about it, if y'all don't mind giving me a hand with this. Most of the parts are coming from Guitar Fetish cause I have heard that they are pretty decent and fairly inexpensive...

Bridge
I plan on filling in the tremolo cavity with a piece of poplar maybe instead of putting a FR in it cause I cant really afford to buy a $200 tremolo system, so I was going to put in a black hardtail string-through-body bridge.. This one probably.

Tuners
I am going to put in a set of actual locking tuners to help with the tuning stability cause I am tired of my strings falling out of tune with one good bend. So probably going to go with these.

Electronics
I'm going to to only go with two humbuckers so I'm swapping my 5-way switch for this 3-way switch. I'm upgrading the pots to these and I am going to use these caps.

Pickups
For my bridge pickup I am going to for something with a good metal rhythm sound. I like the DiMarzio X2N pickup but I don't really want to pay their price, so I was thinking of getting this one for my bridge pickup. And for my neck pickup I am going to go with a single coil sized rail humbucker like this one.

Misc. Parts
For the nut I was thinking of going with one of these.

So what do y'all think of these parts as upgrades to the crappy worn out stock parts? Would this stuff be a good way to upgrade my guitar for relatively cheap? I mean in total it would only cost me about $160. So should I go with this or look at other parts?
I find that GFS parts are quite nice:
store.guitarfetish.com
You can get a Floyd Rose for $70, and pickups for about $30 each...or locking tuners for about $40. Nice stuff for these prices too.
Sounds like it will be well worth the money to me. Good luck
New Setup:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Black SG w/ 3 Hum.)
Peavey Classic 50
EHX Metal Muff
Cry Baby 535Q

"I'm the one that's got to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to"
Jimi Hendrix
Quote by sonic_777111
I find that GFS parts are quite nice:
store.guitarfetish.com
You can get a Floyd Rose for $70, and pickups for about $30 each...or locking tuners for about $40. Nice stuff for these prices too.

See I was thinking about their Floyd, but its only a single locking Floyd and it has the holes in the tremolo block to let the strings feed through that like a Strat tremolo... Someone else asked about them the other day on here and people said that it probably wasn't worth it to buy that one... So thats why I decided to go with a hardtail instead of buying a real FR or the GFS version...
Did anyone see the fingernails on the guy holding the pots? Disgusting...
Strats & Seagulls
Quote by xxBR34KD0WN

lol
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
Quote by xxBR34KD0WN

That is pretty gross... I didn't notice that until you pointed that out... Hopefully I don't get any of the pots that that guy has touched... lol
I would get CTS pots over Alpha pots for sure. I just put my Alpha mini pots in the garbage.
i wouldnt change it to a hardtail. just get a different vintage trem.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/usast2pohast.html

i do belive that one will fit. they also have it in black and gold.
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
^But that tremolo's studs are spaced 2 7/32" apart and mine are 2 7/8" apart...

And whats the difference between CTS and Alpha pots?
Quote by music_mike
^But that tremolo's studs are spaced 2 7/32" apart and mine are 2 7/8" apart...

And whats the difference between CTS and Alpha pots?

CTS pots are better, that's the difference.
Quote by eurotrashed
CTS pots are better, that's the difference.

But why? Just saying they are doesn't explain why they are...
CTS pots are more reliable and roll off less treble when used as the volume control than really cheap pots. They also have a much smoother taper. That's why they're the industry standard.

These pots are by far the best for volume controls. They're made by CTS for RS Guitarworks. http://www.rsguitarworks.net/rsstore/product_info.php?cPath=45_65&products_id=388

They also have full upgrade kits for the controls.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Jan 25, 2009,