I've always heard/believed that on a TOM tailpiece it's best to screw it all the way down to the body to have the best sustain and least amount of stress on the bolts (Thinking of component vectors this would make sense.)

I have it set up like that on my '84 ML, but the '03 Flying V has me a little concerned. If I screw the tailpiece down as close as possible to the body, then the strings rub against the backside of the bridge. Is this something I should be concerned about or is this a Gibson thing in general? I've never ran across this problem in guitar repair so I'm completely clueless haha

EDIT: I meant to say the ML's strings doesn't rub the bridge since there isn't a tailpiece. You can't get the 'tailpiece' any closer to the body of the guitar than the ML
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Jan 24, 2009,
If you're concern about the break angle then why not try wrap-around next time you changing strings. You can have the tailpiece all the way down then.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Well the tailpiece is a wraparound, it's the original bridge and tailpiece that was installed on it I believe. Maybe I didn't explain clearly, but this isn't a tailpiece/bridge combo. It's the two seperate pieces like on a Les Paul
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

I think you don't know what he meant. He told you to wrap around the bridge. As in stick the strings in away from the neck (or backwards) and wrap them over the top of the tailpiece then over to the bridge. You can do it on a two piece system your describing. Its called top wrapping. A lot of guys do it on LES PAULS. I do it on my epi. This will keep the strings from touching the back of the bridge
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Alright, that clears up a little bit haha. This is the first guitar that I've owned with a two-piece setup like that. All of mine are have either Floyds, a Kahler, or string thru's
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

How high is the action? consider lowering it a little.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
The action is fairly low but not as low as my Razorback or other metal guitars. It's not a high action either, something nice in between favoring the lower end of the scale
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60