Okay, so i have had my Laney GC80 80w Combo amp for 14..wil be 15 in March years, and I never once had to have a backup amp, or had any problems. It has survived many shows, shipments..the whole nine....anyway its finally giving up. I brougth it to the shop for a pot cleaning, and when i got it back the volume was varying severely...brought it back again, they fixed it but the guy said the next time it goes out..its time for a new amp...So,Here I am...I already know what i want to do...and i dont want your opinion on the amp at all, i just want to know if i can do it....I could care less about the division of the guitar community about the L6 Spider Amps

This is my philosophy;

Before my amp started goin whack- o I had been looking at doing a halfstack setup for a while...and after trying out A LOT of amps, Mesa/Boogies, Marshalls, Crate, Peavy, And Line 6s..I decided upon doing a line 6 spider 3 150w halfstack sometime in the future. But now that I am in a time crunch to do something, Im thinking for now I am just going to buy a Line 6 Spider II HD150 Amp Head..which has 150w of Stereo Output and, 75w Each Side..And Plug the Cab of my Laney, into ONE SIDE, because the cab is detachable(by wire) from the amp head in the combo....Would this work? Using it as a Mono 75w....? I only say this because, eventually I would by a Stereo 4*12 cab to use it on..but for now i can only afford the head..? How does this sound?
Fender Custom Shop Telecaster
Fender Tom DeLonge Signature
Gibson ES-339
Mesa/Boogie Single Rectifier
Marshall JCM900 1960a Lead 4x12
Last edited by laneylespaul at Jan 24, 2009,
Don't get a Spider head, you'd just be making a side step instead of an upgrade.

What styles of music do you play?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Hey man,

To be honest bro....line 6 spider's and HD heads and anything over 30 watts is overkill and waste of money. spiders are like good practice amps. but you said your gigging...and this....is downgrading.

what style do you play?

whats the pricerange?

Buy
Quote by tenaciousjp
Hey man,

To be honest bro....line 6 spider's and HD heads and anything over 30 watts is overkill and waste of money. spiders are like good practice amps. but you said your gigging...and this....is downgrading.

what style do you play?

whats the pricerange?

Buy

This.

Price range, style, current guitar?
If you plugged in only one side, you will fry the head!
75 watts X2(2-75 watt amps).
One side will see a 4 ohm load and the other will see 0 ohm load.

So, if you were to use the Spider III 75 watt head (1-75 watt amp), and use a 4 ohm load, that would work.
Jackson DXMG
Charvel
B-52 AT100
Marshall 1960A
Pedals and stuff
I am using a Les Paul with a SD Invader in the bridge, and a Fender Tom Delonge Signature which also has the invader....Im playing alt rock like blink 182...and i dont want critiscim on the amp..i just want to know if it will work, is this true..if i only plug into one side, it will blow the head? in this case i will just get the 75w version.
Gibson ES-339
asnd looking to spend about 150
Gibson ES-339
The HD147 isn't a Spider though O.o

Ooooh, HD150, my bad.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Is there any way to falsefy the 4ohm load on theotherside...something i can plug in..that will take the load and get rid of it(other thana speaker)...? I mean I could always just run into the PA with the other side? and leave the volume on that channel down? But then i couldnt practice at home.
Gibson ES-339
Quote by Mitchell?
Do not get a Spider.

Can you read.....i said I DONT WANT YOUR OPINION ON THE AMP I JUST WANT TO KNOW IF IT CAN BE DONE..so STOP SPAMMING MY POST...
Gibson ES-339
For the peolpe who have actally tried to help me....couldnt i just get a 75w regular speaker...and put that into the mix too? therefoer one will be my old cab....and the other will be the regular speaker(with a 1/4" connector soldered on the end..instead of the red nd black)...that would work wouldnt it?
Gibson ES-339
forget it..the speaker in the cab now is 4ohm...and the spider head requires at least a 8ohm speaker....so forget it.
Gibson ES-339
Edit your posts, the button is there for a reason.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Quote by imicius
Why not just get another Laney GC80?

i could do that but im yet to find one in this country...all of the ones i found online are from brittain and are $300+ im trying to spend like 150
Gibson ES-339
To be honest, that speaker probably isn't gonna handle much volume from that head before it blows.

So you'll probably never really crank the amp.
Leaving alot of unused wattage.

If you're not gonna buy a cab or at least look into to one in the near future.
Then I'd just say you look into the combo versions of that amp.
1)He said he didn't want to hear how people on this forum say spiders suck.

2)He can only spend $150.

3)He tried out lots of other amps. Some people like the tone, its specific taste.

Yet 75% of the posts are saying how spiders suck...
Quote by Lewkus
Dont get a Spider.

If he doesn't get a spider you need to get a god damn brain.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Quote by KingJustinian25

3)He tried out lots of other amps. Some people like the tone, its specific taste.

1. If people didn't give their actual opinions on this site there would be a lot more people complaining about their tone and asking what pedal will fix their sound even though they have a modeling amp and would have a crap sound regardless.

2. He can do better than a Spider for $150.

3. Nobody likes the tone of a Spider over time.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Quote by KingJustinian25

Have you ever played a Spider? That's exactly why we all are telling him to not get one.

They sound bad.

End of story.
since the thread topic has changed, ill try to find some amps...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Randall-RH300-G3-Electric-Guitar-Amp-Head_W0QQitemZ270333829493QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item270333829493&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50
if you dont mind the problem it has(read the discription), then it seems like a pretty good deal.
then you'll need a cab
Dude you said that you have had your laney for 20ish years...and your playing blink 182? one or the other is false. but if they are true...post a pic of your self i gotta see this.

I always wanted to see a 30-40 year old punk rocker LMFAO

Anyways, you spending $150 on a amp....in s few years your going to be in the same postition your in now but alot sooner.

save up...FYI im not even commenting on the spider im acctually commenting on your decision for a future amp.....and the fact your 30-40 years of age playing Blink 182....
Last edited by tenaciousjp at Jan 26, 2009,
Well than let me re-phrase...the amp wasnt MINE for 20 years..although reading my post i made it seem like that..........it was my dads and he gave it to me. he had it since like 94...he did some shows with it..and now i did alot with it..clearer?
Gibson ES-339
TS, you have a Gibson Les Paul. Surely you can afford a better amp than just $150. I'm not sure if you can get as powerful as an amp as a Spider 3 for $150, but I thought the Spider 3 75W head was more than just $150. Anyway, all I'm saying is if you have the guitars you say you do, then you need a more expensive amp than just $150 to make the guitars justice.

Save up and get a better amp. I mean, you've been playing for like 15 years now, surely you deserve a good amp. The pickups you currently have in the Les Paul cost that much, so why cheap out on the amp which is the most important part of your tone.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Last edited by MustangSVT at Jan 27, 2009,
The guitars were gifts from my dad...he makes a good amount of $$ but thinks that i need to learn responsibility and buy the amp on my own....this is why im in the position i am in...i have my xbox 360 w all its **** on ebay seeing if i can get some $$ and buy hopefully the MG series marhsall haflstack...which i played and it dosent suck as much as you people think it does.
Gibson ES-339
Quote by laneylespaul
The guitars were gifts from my dad...he makes a good amount of $$ but thinks that i need to learn responsibility and buy the amp on my own....this is why im in the position i am in...i have my xbox 360 w all its **** on ebay seeing if i can get some $$ and buy hopefully the MG series marhsall haflstack...which i played and it dosent suck as much as you people think it does.

Your ears have not developed yet.

Just save up and stop being impaciant to buy something. save up until your laney craps out on you. rent the spider 3 15 or 30 watt combo from GC for like 15 bucks a month. when you have enough then buy a decent amp. the amps your mentioning to buy aren't even decent. when you have more $$ then go on UG and ask us what the next step is. but for now, your not prepared to make the change.
OR....

you said that your dad got you the gibson as a gift.....for your next gift mooch a amp off of him. for maybe the same price you got your gibson for.
oh okay....idk...i am kind of gigging NOW so i need something.
Gibson ES-339
You're gigging but you only have $150? Tough luck. I don't know, get a job or something or get your dad to buy you a new amp. You're gonna get crappy tone if you try to gig with a Spider3 or worse, an MG.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
So you would get some more mone selling your xbox then waste it on an MG which is as bad of an amp as the Spider? WHY?? Get the Palomino v50 from musicians friend after your xbox sells, $350 and it is a beast of an amp, is a great amp for gigging.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
how about a peavy windsor...they have it on sale at musiciansfriend for 400..and it has KILLER reviews...im gunna go to samash and trry it out..like i did all the other amps, anyone got any suggestions on how to try out an amp..considering i liked all the ones you guys think are crap?
Gibson ES-339
If you can get the windsor do it.

It is leagues beyond an MG or Spider, and it sounds more like a real Marshall than the MG.
It's a good amp for the money.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

ENDLESS FEEDBACK MANIPULATOR σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
a draw back to the windsor is the lack of a clean channel. With some effort you can get a nice clean though.
my gear:
Epiphone LP standard
roland microcube
FINALLY! Some sense is coming through in this thread.

If you can somehow afford it, Peavey Windsor. Awesome amp, for very little money.

Crate V series. the V50 and V18 are totally different amps, not just different wattage. look them up or find one at a store nad play it. you will want one. They are usually under $200.

If you buy a spider to gig, i might cry. I have seen a couple spiders bought by gigging musicians (for the "awesome and insane" distortion) and i have seen all of those spiders listed for sale within a year or two. I have to tell you this. i wouldn't be a honest person if i didn't.
I will never recommend a Spider to anyone.

Btw, i am a gigging musician. If that helps...
Last edited by customisbetter at Jan 27, 2009,
Quote by goshinbi
a draw back to the windsor is the lack of a clean channel. With some effort you can get a nice clean though.

I imagine you could put a 12AT7 in the V1 of the preamp to lower the gain and help the cleans some, couldn't you?
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores