Page 1 of 2
Evening Pit

I'd imagine some of you would have some experience with the law in some shape or form.

So let me ask you this:

If I was carrying a knife in a rough part of town, out of sight, not used for robbery or muggings, and i was attacked by someone, would it be considered self-defence to stab him or slash with said knife to stop him?

I ask this because ive been seeing a few guys in threads saying that they are gonna be carrying knives for protection from chavs and the like from now on. This made me wonder, if you use a knife for self-defence, aren't you gonna be in more trouble than the guy that attacks you?

Help me out here Pit
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You are a bad man...I like you

Quote by gillehy
you sir should be knighted

Quote by Sleaze Disease

It's so true.

I

MUSIC!!!
I don't think so, I'm not quite certain though. It probably depends on the amount of harm you cause to said chav.
RAZZLEFRAZZLE
No, you'd get in more trouble.

A shotgun, on the other hand, is fine.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Last edited by R_H_C_P at Jan 24, 2009,
carrying a knife out of sight may get you in trouble
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
so what you're saying is that, after getting out of the water naked with 5+ guys, you thought that once the girls were around you had better get some clothes on?

Well as long you don't kill the person whose attacking you, I imagine you'll be all right.
Well if I was carrying a knife and got attacked, I would stab/slash said attacker. If he runs off, don't give chase. Report to cops. If he falls to the floor, call the cops and an ambulance.

You should'nt have anything to worry about if you're defending yourself.

Edit: I just thought about something. He might look at my face for too long and remember me if I stick around until an ambulance comes and then he might get his homies to jump me.... Hmmm....
Last edited by metaldud536 at Jan 24, 2009,
if everyone takes this opinion - which we pretty much do - then we're gonna end up with a stupid amount of stabbings every year... which we do. i say we all take the high-road, dont carry knives, and just avoid chavs unless youre up for a fight (i was in a fight today - no knives - and i ****ed the guy over, was hillarious). we dont need weapons to make fighting fun.
if i remember right (im not 100% sure), if you bring a weapon like a knife you can get done for premeditated assault (or something), because you have brought a weapon and used it
MY DESIGN/PHOTOGRAPHY TUMBLR
Quote by SEALSniper1152

If you take a jar, and whisper what you want to hate into it, then close the jar, coat it in crunchy peanut butter, and shove it up your ass. I'm pretty sure you could hate everything after that.
Quote by szekelymihai
i my country self defense only applies if he tries to attack you when he's in your home already and you stab him

Back in England, a guy got sent to prison for shooting an armed robber who is his home. Bad times....
Quote by n to the k
^ you are wise

Quote by Maus24
There's been sooo many threads done on this; I don't even wanna hear that you used the searchbar. Staring at it and giggling does not count.
The worlds fu cked up and we lit the fuse, its all used up what you gonna do?
Self defense is using just the necessary amount of force to stop someone. If you exceed that amount of force, then you can get in trouble. I also don't think you can carry a switchblade or anything like that.

Edit: This is for the U.S. Not sure about other places.
Quote by bizkitday4eva
You know suicide is just as bad as killing yourself

Taco Man of the Jhonen Vasquez/Invader Zim Club. PM HolyWars90 to join
Last edited by Ticket48 at Jan 24, 2009,
You won't be charged with batery or assault for hurting an assailant , or shouldn't be if, as already stated, you don't over do it; because that's self defence.
But you might be charged with carrying an illegal weapon, or concealing a weapon.
Last edited by MiG_853 at Jan 24, 2009,
Quote by liam177lewis
if everyone takes this opinion - which we pretty much do - then we're gonna end up with a stupid amount of stabbings every year... which we do. i say we all take the high-road, dont carry knives, and just avoid chavs unless youre up for a fight (i was in a fight today - no knives - and i ****ed the guy over, was hillarious). we dont need weapons to make fighting fun.

Chavs in Cambridge?
Quote by Union Jake
I dont believe you can carry knifes in the uk, so you might get in trouble for that.

*Insert Prestige/Circle-jerk joke*

Anyways, as far as I know, he's right. You can't carry knifes in the UK. So you'd probably get charged for that.

But I can't see why shoving it up some guys ass if he tried to mug you (Or something similair) to be that bad.

It's his fault he got knifed, shouldn't be mugging people, well...
Shouldn't be mugging people that carry knifes.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
Last edited by Carl6661 at Jan 24, 2009,
first let me ask you about these "chavs".... I have no idea what they are, please someone elaborate

to answer your question, I highly doubt you could get in big trouble to carrying a knife... in any case the police will just confiscate it if they catch you with it... so it's worth it to carry it for safety imo
Quote by Supertait
Back in England, a guy got sent to prison for shooting an armed robber who is his home. Bad times....

i do not understand that...
so people are supposed to rely on the police to do everything? i guess there's no such thing as taking matters into your own hands these days.
doesn't it make sense to be able to take out an armed person in your home before he takes out you and your family?
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
Quote by Rogue Hermit
so people are supposed to rely on the police to do everything? i guess there's no such thing as taking matters into your own hands these days.
doesn't it make sense to be able to take out an armed person in your home before he takes out you and your family?

I agree. I mean there has to be a line somewhere, but it's a huge grey area really. It's hard to prove intent and things if one guy is dead.
Quote by n to the k
^ you are wise

Quote by Maus24
There's been sooo many threads done on this; I don't even wanna hear that you used the searchbar. Staring at it and giggling does not count.
In England you are allowed to carry a knife that does not lock or have any way of locking upright or flicking, permitting the blade is under 3 inches, this then stops it (apparently because you could still kill someone with a 3 inch blade) being deemed as a offensive weapon if stoped by the police, however I would recommend a swiss army knife, as this may type of blade is easily explained should a police officer search you (which he/she is in there powers to without good reason).

However, should you use the knife regardless of size, it is automatically deemed a offensive weapon (strange law I know, but hey I didn't make it up) So its chatch 22 really, if you take a blade out, make sure its small enough to not get you arrested, but remember that using it may land you a prison sentence ( 2yrs minimum i think for assult with a offensive weapon)
Quote by Rogue Hermit

in the uk, the government expects us to engage with our intruders in polite conversation
MY DESIGN/PHOTOGRAPHY TUMBLR
Quote by SEALSniper1152

If you take a jar, and whisper what you want to hate into it, then close the jar, coat it in crunchy peanut butter, and shove it up your ass. I'm pretty sure you could hate everything after that.
you might get done for carrying an offensive weapon
But I'm not sure
Bands to see before I die:
Again:
Machine Head
Lamb Of God
JFAC
BTBAM
TesseracT
Pendulum

For the First time:
Periphery
Texures
Monuments
Mumford & Sons
The Prodigy
Paolo Nutini

CASTODIUM!!!
myspace.com/castodium
Quote by Rogue Hermit

It's because of a legal principle, the principle of proportionality, which is usually embedded in the criteria and sanctions of laws; essentially you cannot cause substantially more damage than you would suffer; that said you are allowed to defend yourself, but shooting some one robbing your house is seen as extreme. In some legal systems you can circumvent that by claiming the extenuate circumstances, and justifying the disproportionated response, and the system tends to favour the person who was suffering the crime that originated the confrontation.
I think its within reasonable force, like you're only allowed to restrain them, which is bollocks
Quote by NicP
In England you are allowed to carry a knife that does not lock or have any way of locking upright or flicking, permitting the blade is under 3 inches, this then stops it (apparently because you could still kill someone with a 3 inch blade) being deemed as a offensive weapon if stoped by the police, however I would recommend a swiss army knife, as this may type of blade is easily explained should a police officer search you (which he/she is in there powers to without good reason).

However, should you use the knife regardless of size, it is automatically deemed a offensive weapon (strange law I know, but hey I didn't make it up) So its chatch 22 really, if you take a blade out, make sure its small enough to not get you arrested, but remember that using it may land you a prison sentence ( 2yrs minimum i think for assult with a offensive weapon)

This.

Although I got away with carrying an hunting knife with me on the train. I told the policeman I had it on me, and showed him all my other hunting/camping stuff I'd bought and he let me carry it.
Quote by n to the k
^ you are wise

Quote by Maus24
Quote by NicP

Law student too?
haha i like your way of thinking jimbob

this is the UK im talking about, where the nanny-state tries to ensure we are always on our best behaviour, annoyingly.

what about blunt trauma weapons? small/medium/large clubs for example (assuming you are able to hide them)? same? worse? better?
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You are a bad man...I like you

Quote by gillehy
you sir should be knighted

Quote by Sleaze Disease

It's so true.

I

MUSIC!!!
I almost always carry at least one, usually two.

And I would use it if someone attacked me and I couldn't take them without a knife.

And around here I think a club would just bring a different weapons charge.
Quote by R_H_C_P
No, you'd get in more trouble.

A shotgun, on the other hand, is fine.

Yea but you have to saw it off other wise you always have that pesky bulge.
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.
Quote by blackflag49
Joe Biden's wife is a total cougar.

Quote by imdeth
metaldud damn it I said ignore the penis!

XBL Gamer Tag:

Arch Enemy65
Quote by Arch Enemy 65
Yea but you have to saw it off other wise you always have that pesky bulge.

*Looks at bulge*

That's no shotgun.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
You'll have a lot of trouble proving self-defence if you're found to be carrying an illegal weapon, in which case you could probably be charged with GBH or something
Some people wait a lifetime, some simply accept...

...Some of us crash land, some of us eject...

...Some restore the blood flow, some just let it go and bleed...

...Some of us obsess, some move on to something new
It would be difficult to convince the jury that you were carryiong a knife for self-defence, especially if they guy who attacks you isn't armed.
Your best bet is to kick the bugger in the shins as hard as you can and run like ****.
If you are carrying the knife in the context of a tool (you use it to open boxes and such) then that usually makes it so that you can't be charged with premeditated anything...however that can be hard to convince the courts.

Also, I don't know it works in England but over here in Canada we can use one step-up when defending yourself. So if someone is gonna stomp the **** out of you, you can pull a knife to defend yourself.
Quote by NicP

Shit, no locking knives? A knife with a lock makes it safer. At least for the user.
if the blade is less than 3 inches long its legal to carry so would probably be considered self defense.....
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Page 1 of 2