People have often said, "if it feels good, upgrade it." My LP Special II sounds bad, but feels nice, my question, is it worth upgrading with new pickups, a pickguard, and pickup covers?
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
i would say to upgrade your guitar to another LP...

get a mid/upperrange epi les paul.. the special II is the lowest end
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Ok, I could just keep the Special for sentimental purposes, plus, for some reasons, cheap ass guitars become popular sometimes in the future, look at the Melody Maker. BTW, the pickup selector switch is screwed up, and no sounds comes out of the guitar unless I fiddle with it, what do I do?
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Last edited by lespaul#1 at Jan 24, 2009,
Your name versus your sig forces me to overlook this question.

How about trying it without the pickguard. And some new pickup surrounds.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Surrounds?
Quote by chip46
Quote by lespaul#1
Ok, I could just keep the Special for sentimental purposes, plus, for some reasons, cheap ass guitars become popular sometimes in the future, look at the Melody Maker. BTW, the pickup selector switch is screwed up, and no sounds comes out of the guitar unless I fiddle with it, what do I do?

If you go to Guitarfetish.com you could get new pickups and tuners for probably around $100. The melody maker... i didn't know that was popular.

You can get a new switch from guitarfetish.com as well.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Early-60s-VINTAGE-GIBSON-Melody-Maker-1961-64-Sunburst_W0QQitemZ270332877615QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item270332877615&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Worth like $200 back then, apparently they are big collector's items, also, the one I posted is a bargain, they go for twice that maybe. So the only way to fix it is a new switch?
Quote by chip46
Ok, I'll look that up. Would my LP sound like **** with new pups?
Quote by chip46
Quote by lespaul#1
Surrounds?

Yes the rings around your pickups. I mean what are you going for? Are you trying to dress up your guitar a bit or change the tone?
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Go for a better tone and dress it up. These look nice, for hard rock and metal. http://store.guitarfetish.com/v59algohuclt.html

http://store.guitarfetish.com/pachbrpiri.html

Also, how do I mount a LP pickguard on a pickguardless LP?
Quote by chip46
I meant that thing that holds the pickguard off the body.

You just drill a hole?
Quote by chip46
the top of the special II is flat, so you cant put a normal les paul pickguard. I would suggest just taking it in to a shop and fixing it, and when you get the money, replace it.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Oh, without a pickguard, I think it looks kinda like crap. Maybe I SHOULD just get it fixed, then replace it, maybe a used Gibson, or Epiphone Standard.
Quote by chip46
I just got an epi les paul standard plain top yesterday, I love it. you should try one.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Yeah, the Ebony one and the Sunburst look sweet, how are the pickups, are they muddy?
Quote by chip46
considering the special II is the lowest end of epiphone guitars, id consider upgrading into an epi les paul standard or an agile AL @ rondomusic.com
My Gear:
Agile AL-3000 Honeyburst
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Quote by lespaul#1
Yeah, the Ebony one and the Sunburst look sweet, how are the pickups, are they muddy?

I got the sunburst one, and the pickups can get muddy, but I dont mind it much, my amps are pretty good, so I love the sound I get throught them.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Ok, I plan on trying out a bunch, also, I like Les Paul Juniors, and they have a few on Ebay with humbuckers, which I want. What exactly do people mean when they say muddy? Also, are LP Juniors normal size, but with a short scale neck, basically one anyone could use.
Quote by chip46
I think juniors dont have normal pickguards either...and they are going to be around the same size as the special, and basically the same quality and pickups. I dont think that would be an upgrade.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
I was referring to Gibson Juniors, which are $800.
Quote by chip46
ooooo...nvm, that would be an upgrade, but honestly I think that lower end gibsons arent really worth it. idk try it out and see for yourself. compare an epi les paul standard with the gibson les paul junior.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Ok, also, I want humbuckers, but LP Juniors don't come in humbuckers, do Noise gates cut hum?
Quote by chip46
Quote by chip46
imo the custom is just a standard that has a little more bling...which I dont think is worth it for the extra cash than the standard.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
What do people mean by muddy though.
Quote by chip46
get an agile AL. then you wont have to worry about it being muddy. they are just as good as epi's but like half the price!
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
agiles dont look like LPs though.
Quote by RetroGunslinger