Hey guys, looking for advice on how to get better at alternate picking. Just looking for simple exercises or things to do to increase speed and accuracy. I've just been doing 1-2-3-4-3-2-1 on each string for the past few days. It that what I should be aiming to do?

Thanks in advance.
Try doing 1-2-3-4 on one string for a bit then switching to another string. Going back and forth then try to do it for all the strings. After that, try doing a 1-2-3-4 pattern on all the strings and then slowly working your way up the fretboard. 1-2-3-4 pattern then to 2-3-4-5
If it's blue, then it MUST smell good.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
I reached the stage where I alt pick in just about every circumstance where it makes sense to do so a few months back, and the method I used to change over from downpicking everything was more or less what you're doing (chromatics and forcing myself to alt pick), plus going back to some of the really basic stuff and making myself alt pick that.

It does take time, so stick at it and it'll come. Daft as it sounds, but you'll know you're getting there with it when you alt pick something you used to down pick despite not making a conscious effort to alt pick it.
Oh, now I've gone and spilled my tea. This really won't do at all.
Quote by The Dance Hat
Hey guys, looking for advice on how to get better at alternate picking. Just looking for simple exercises or things to do to increase speed and accuracy. I've just been doing 1-2-3-4-3-2-1 on each string for the past few days. It that what I should be aiming to do?

Thanks in advance.

Don't only run the chromatic exercises, also run scale and arpeggio based exercises/licks as well as they will work on different picking patterns as well as expanding your musical knowledge.

More than that just make sure you apply alternate picking in any and all music you play; all the technique in the world will do you no good if you can't play any music with it.

Edit: Also don't expect it to come to you quickly; it'll take some time to get to what I would call "good" at it but once you get it down you should be able to do it without really thinking.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Jan 24, 2009,
The scales are useful though, right? I have been playing them as well as some simple songs using alternate picking to make it a habit.

For power chords, do I alternate pick both strings or only down strum? I've had trouble up strumming.
When I started learning alternate picking after about 3 months of playing I remember it was hell. I had to relearn all the riffs I had learned and practise the blues scale all over again .
Guitars

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony Finish
- Hohner Hc-06 Classical guitar

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah