I recently found an ad selling an Epiphone Les Paul Gothic. The guy said that it had a few dents in it and after contacting him he sent me a few photos (I've attatched the only ones which show the marks/dents).

He was selling it for £100 (around $140) but I managed to get it down to £85 (around $110). I was planning on buying it just to mod it. I'm saving up for a Les Paul custom (the black with the gold hardware) which is like a few grand so it's not gonna happen for a while seeing as I'm only 15.

I've never modded a guitar before and I was wondering what you guys would recommend doing? Is it worth spending the equivalent of what I spent on the guitar on new knobs, pegs and so on? How much do you think I should spend on new pickups (do I really need new ones anyway?)? I was gonna get some gold pegs, gold bridge and so on so I think it'd look good eventually.

Advice would be much appreciated!!!

Alex.
Attachments:
gothepi2.jpg
gothicepi3.jpg
id well buy that man for the price!
not sure what you could do though =/
if i was you id do something about the body first
How much do they usually sell for brand new?

Ask him for picture's of the neck, headstock, neck joint etc etc all the major structioal parts of the guitar, if you see any cracks or deep cuts then just say no, becuase more than likely it'll break.

He means put new wiring, pots and pick ups in to it btw.
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
The guy said he paid over £250 for it.

He did send pictures of the entire guitar, I just posted the marked bits. Want me to upload others?

Okay. Is it worth doing it up?
if you get it Id do what someone on here did to thier goth SG

gfs dream 100 pickups in pearloid and a pearloid pickguard, it looks awesome
I think that it look really cool for the price. I'd do it. If you want to touch it up. Fix the action if you need to. Rock out!
AL
Okay. I've only been playing for 2-3 years and I've never modded so I really am a noob at this. How much do you recommend I pay for some pups?

I should take it to a shop to get the action set, right?

Thanks guys this is great!
You can do the action yourself, all your adjusting is the two screws at either end of the bridge, to lower it, it's really straight forward and it'll be good to learn how to set up the guitar

I'd definatley get the guitar, it looks really good, even with the dints, it shows it has a history and for the pick ups, well i would wait until you get the guitar and see what it sounds like, maybe you'll want pick ups with more bass or more treble, although lowering and hieghting the pick ups can change the tone a lot.
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
Okay cool.

I really like my pinch harmonics. If I can't get many, or they're not that good, out of these pups, which ones do you recommend I get?

I play classic rock (e.g. ACDC, Bon Jovi [their older stuff], Ozzy etc.) and also some heavier stuff like Metallica through a 15 watt Marshall (hopefully getting a Line 6 Spider III soon though!).

Any other modding tips?

Thanks again!
Dude, definitely do it. The dings could easily be fixed with some wood filler or even wood glue and painted over again and finished in a matte black

PS: And About getting a Spider III soon... Mine isn't all that bad, people make them out to be awful... But it's definitely not a great amp (Just good enough to get the job done), though mine's only 15w, I've heard the higher rated ones can be better
Quote by tjfishrocker
Coolcat i want to make love to you right now.

Quote by Natrone

Anyone else see the irony in smashing a guitar that says "peace and love" ?
Yeah I think I'm gonna. You think the glue thing would work?

Huh, I've heard the opposite.

I mean I just play in my bedroom and use my school amp for gigs, so my amp is really good for me personally, but I've heard the Spider can give such a variety of tones and this one I was looking at came with 300+ preset tones for songs (like enter sandman and back in black amongst others).

Thanks for all the advice!
why buy another practice amp? Sorry to change the subject of the thread but you can just get a multi effects pedal and use it through the MG and get the same sounds as the line 6. If your gonna get a new amp you might as well upgrade.
If you are getting a Line 6, It wont matter too much what pickups you get because its a modeling amp.
Quote by Oneill9293
... Epiphone Les Paul Gothic. .... managed to get it down to £85

... I'm saving up for a Les Paul custom ... I'm only 15.

I've never modded a guitar before and I was wondering what you guys would recommend doing? Is it worth spending the equivalent of what I spent on the guitar on new knobs, pegs and so on? How much do you think I should spend on new pickups (do I really need new ones anyway?)? I was gonna get some gold pegs, gold bridge and so on so I think it'd look good eventually.

Advice would be much appreciated!!!

Alex.
Awesome! Buy it now!

So? You can start practicing wheeling and dealing ASAP ... buy your dream guitar at 16.

Other than the cosmetic mods, better pots, shielded wiring, better switch, and better PUs (if you already have a nice amp) will all be worth it.

Buy the guitar. Put a Seymour Duncan JB in the neck and a Distortion in the bridge. Go buy an Epi Valve Junior and a distortion pedal.

That's what I'd do...

Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
Yeah. If I were to get a new amp, that's the one I would get, that's what I meant.

I wasn't planning on getting a new guitar for a year or so, my Squier is feeling pretty nice atm tbh, this was just meant to be a cheap thing to learn about modding a guitar.

So you're saying I shouldn't get new pups?
I know the glue thing would work, I did it in a big dent in my acoustic's neck, it just takes quite a while since you have to put on a thin layer, let it dry, another layer, let dry, and keep repeating that... But I know wood filler works, if you check out lumberjack's Melody maker restoration thread, he used it all over to fill the dents, I just didn't have and filler handy when I fixed my dent

Which Spider III are you looking at? Cause I have the 15w and my friend has the 75w, and the presets are convenient, but (on mine, at least) the chorus sometimes gives a sound somewhere between a wah and phaser... And on both of them, the insane setting is kinda whiny, it's not a full bodied distortion, kinda like single coils compared to humbuckers, it's just thinner

EDIT: Holy crap, I must type slow, about half a dozen posts were made while I was typing this out XD
Quote by tjfishrocker

Quote by Natrone

Last edited by Coolcat13 at Jan 24, 2009,
Quote by heminder
ever better, if the dings are bothering you, you could strip it and do a custom paint job...
www.projectguitar.com is a good place for tutorials...

looks like a good deal, though...
i'd go for it...

That site is awesome, thanks!
Glue thing sounds good. Not that expensive is it?

The Spider I was planning on getting was the 150 watt one
Yeah I suppose. I'm starting to earn soon, so I can afford some better stuff, starting with a LP though before any amps.
http://www.musicgoround.com/gear/inventorydetails.asp?id=723732

FOR THE LOVE OF BABY JEBUS GET THIS!!!!

ditch the spider, it sucks

and also, getting a new guitar won't sound any different if you have a spider or really your MG... definitely first priority is getting a new amp. You WILL thank yourself

on ebay you may be able to find the b-52 at-112 for around $350
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Last edited by DaddyBarbs at Jan 24, 2009,
They're not all that awful, but if you're saving up for a Les Paul, don't get it, it'll make it sound half as good as it it and you'll wonder why you spent money on a guitar like that, even though the amp's what making it sound bad... I'd say go with the Epiphone Valve Junior half stack for $250 (US) from your local Guitar Center and save the money you would've spent one the Spider for that Les Paul
Quote by tjfishrocker

Quote by Natrone

Ah right. Yeah, I want a LP custom which, on their website, sells for $5,500. I'll start saving ASAP. Thanks!
Sure thing, bub... Another thing about getting that Goth would be that it'd give you a feel for Les Pauls... I'm not sure what guitars you have now, but the neck on my Squier is way different from my schoolmate's Epi, and took me about half an hour of playing to even be able to squeeze out some scales without messing up... Get it!
Quote by tjfishrocker

Quote by Natrone

Yeah I only have a Squier and a Fender electro-acoustic, but I've always wanted a LP. Wow when I played my mates LP it felt better playing it than playing my usual guitar. Might just be the way we play..