Hoping someone could help me locate some information on a guitar I just bought. It is a Tokai, Les Paul knockoff. It is "Made in Korea" with a six-digit serial number starting with a #05 - - - -. It is all ink, no stamping. Can I assume that it was manufactured in 2005 then? It is a relatively new guitar.

The guy who sold it to me said that guitar was part of the last batch of Les Paul style guitars that Tokai was allowed to make and refered to it as an LP "Studio". This was before Gibson sued their pants off and now they are not allowed to make any more - at least of this particular style.

It has 2 classic black humbuckers and a three way toggle switch and tone and volume knobs for each pickup (four knobs in total). It has a darker coloured wood for a fretboard (I am pretty sure itis rosewood) and "mother of plastic" inlays on the fretboard. Black pickguard, silver hardware (looks chrome painted) and little plastic green tuning knobs. The guitar is blue (with that sparkly blue-car-from-the-60's look) with the front of the headstock painted black and nothing on the headstock to identify it beyond "Tokai" written (I think it is actual mother of pearl this time) perpendicular to the neck along the top of the head.

I am looking for a name for it (other than a LP knockoff - and I am not sure about the "studio" designation it was introduced to me as) as well as what it is made of. It feels quite heavy in comparison to my mexican tele...about one and a half times heavier.

Anything you might be able to help me identify would be great. Even just a little push like a website, anything really. I have done some poking around but have found nothing that fits what I have.

Thanks!
try the tokai registry forum. or japanaxe.

tokai are still making LP copies, by the way, certainly for the japanese market.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for the tips - this is what I found out...

Japanaxe has nothing on Tokais. The webpage is being updated and the link is currently broken.

Tokai Registry was slightly more helpful.
Based on their information, my guitar was made in 2005. So, looking at the catalog for 2005....oh wait, there is no catalog for 2005.
So I looked for something similar in a different year. But everything that looks similar seems to have a "fluer-de-lis" type icon or some sort of gold lettering on the headstock. Mine has neither. Their serial number section also made little sense as my "MiK" guitar should have a serial number that starts with a letter or two, but it does not. Couldn't seem to find anything that truly matches up.

Still looking for some more help.
i meant to actually sign up to either (or both) of those websites' forums and actually make a thread, lol. the info on the tokai registry (without posting on the forum) is pretty good, but it's probably better if you ask.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?