So I read online that Alnico 5's degrade over time and Ceramics don't and I've heard the other way around ALSO.

--------------Which is true???

(Magnet manufacturers claim a loss of strength at a rate of aprox .2-2% / 100yrs)
---What magnet is this for??

----Should I be worried about my pickups degrading and affecting my sound?
I degrade my pickups all the time. Once I forced them to make me a sandwich after slapping them in the face.

Jokes aside, I'm pretty sure they all lose their "power" over time.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
All magnets degauss (lose some power) as time goes on.

.2 to 2% is damn near nothing over 100 years. We're talking about a semi-noticable degradation withing your entire lifetime.

Calm your shit, it's all good.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Øttər

.2 to 2% is damn near nothing over 100 years. We're talking about a semi-noticable degradation withing your entire lifetime.

Calm your shit, it's all good.

yeah, I didn't know if thats true, if so, then it doesn't really matter to me at all if they degrade at that slow pace.
Quote by Øttər

Calm your shit, it's all good. I really need to calm down ASAP.
*fixed*

Thats where old pickups made in the 60s get their tone is from the magnets losing some of their strength. So in this instance its a good thing. Its not like every 5 years you pickups are gonna go out.
Quote by Tackleberry
Thats where old pickups made in the 60s get their tone is from the magnets losing some of their strength. So in this instance its a good thing. Its not like every 5 years you pickups are gonna go out.

That could get expensive!
Quote by Ippon
*fixed*

Broseph I'm so chill. I'm wearin a kimono dawg, how about you?

Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by heminder
electromagnet...

That is actually a good idea, you could make a little voltage splitter with say a 250k pot, and a 9v or 18v battery set up, and dial in pup out put, and tone of the pup.

Reminds me of the time i drafted up a diagram for a speaker with an electromagnet in it, like the old ones. My idea incorporated a variac so that you could dial down the magnet power effectively decreasing speaker efficiency. So in theory you could run your marshall stack full out into this/these speakers and have only bed room levels come out. It never got passed the drawing stage, though I did post it some where and was told it should work with some tweeking.
even if they degraded twice as fast, i think you would break that neck-thru long before the pickups would bother you

you could always just go acoustic with the grandpa guitars!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."