Poll Options
View poll results: Which should I do?
New Amp
18 56%
New Speaker+Pedals
14 44%
Voters: 32.
(If you post please read all of this!)

I am seeking to improve my tone, and I can't decide if I should get a new amp or mod my VK and get some pedals. I mostly play metal, the sound I am looking for is either a Lamb of God or Opeth type of sound, however cleans are very important to me and also play some jazz, alt. rock, and blues so versitality is a very big plus. Also I don't use the dist. on the VK at all, all of my dist. is from my DF-7, and I can get a good metal sound from it, but I think a new speaker would make it great. My budget is $475 and I will have up to $300 more in march. My primary question is, should I change the speaker (later on tubes when they start to go) in my VK and buy some much needed pedals (a new wah, delay, and whatever else strikes my fancy), or get a new amp.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by G-man05 at Jan 24, 2009,
I would say just get a new amp. I dont think a valve king is worth modifying to that extent.
Quote by dfinch10
I would say just get a new amp. I dont think a valve king is worth modifying to that extent.

It's just a speaker change though, people do it all the time.
does your VK have the texture knob.
and waht do you do with it(gig/practice wise)
Otherwise Just Get Pedals.(but no cheap ****)
LifeSucks
PeopleDie
F*ckTheWorld
LetsGetHigh
Quote by dfinch10

yea i agree
Quote by PopPunkPotHead
does your VK have the texture knob.
and waht do you do with it(gig/practice wise)
Otherwise Just Get Pedals.(but no cheap ****)

Yes I think all VK's have a texture knob, and I am planning on gigging soon.

To theoreticmusic, will new tubes really give me noticable results since I'm just using my DF-7 for distortion?
If you get new tubes and a new speaker, I'd think you could use an overdrive and the amp's distortion.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
i dont think that a new speaker would make that much of a difference. if youre using a distortion pedal all the time thats going to be the biggest dose of flavor that your tone gets. if youre happy with the volume and cleans youre getting i would suggest a new distortion pedal is in order. and about the vk not being worth modding do what makes your ears (and youre wallet) happy. most equipment falls on one side or the other of being too cheap to make an investment seem worthwile or too expensive to mod because it will lower the resale value by not being all original. but if you like everything but one thing and can change it for a price you can live with go for it. just dont go putting a floyd on a 60's strat or buying 300 dollars worth of pups for a squier.
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
i dont think that a new speaker would make that much of a difference. if youre using a distortion pedal all the time thats going to be the biggest dose of flavor that your tone gets. if youre happy with the volume and cleans youre getting i would suggest a new distortion pedal is in order. and about the vk not being worth modding do what makes your ears (and youre wallet) happy. most equipment falls on one side or the other of being too cheap to make an investment seem worthwile or too expensive to mod because it will lower the resale value by not being all original. but if you like everything but one thing and can change it for a price you can live with go for it. just dont go putting a floyd on a 60's strat or buying 300 dollars worth of pups for a squier.

Thanks for the help, and what I am about to say will make me seems like an ass so I will try to put it in the best way possible.

The DF-7 being the problem is what I thought at first, but the only problems I have with my sound, is that the distortion isn't quite as aggressive as I'd like, but the biggest problem with it is that it seems to sometimes gets slightly muddy when I play rhythms, this is alsowhat makes the amps distortion nearly unbearable, which leads me to believe it is a speaker problem.

Oh and theoreticmusic, what speaker and tubes would you recommend?
Last edited by G-man05 at Jan 24, 2009,
Please lose the DF-7...i just put two and two together and it's a bad pedal. The link to the tubes up there is my tube rec.

http://warehousespeakers.com/proddetail.php?prod=veteran30_12
Either a Vintage 30 or that speaker is my speaker rec...then I'd say either get a Bad Monkey OD or a Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
Please lose the DF-7...i just put two and two together and it's a bad pedal. The link to the tubes up there is my tube rec.

http://warehousespeakers.com/proddetail.php?prod=veteran30_12
Either a Vintage 30 or that speaker is my speaker rec...then I'd say either get a Bad Monkey OD or a Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde.

Thanks for the speaker and pedal suggestions, but why is the DF-7 a "bad pedal"?
Quote by theoreticmusic
If you get new tubes and a new speaker, I'd think you could use an overdrive and the amp's distortion.

Agreed. Look into an EQ also, they REALLY help with Valvekings, and give you a ton more options!
Quote by G-man05
Thanks for the speaker and pedal suggestions, but why is the DF-7 a "bad pedal"?

Because its a (cheap) digital reproduction of other pedals. Trust me...use one of the pedals it's modeling, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
Because its a (cheap) digital reproduction of other pedals. Trust me...use one of the pedals it's modeling, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I know its a digital reproduction of other pedals, but the setting I have been using for metal is based on a big muff pi, which the original would be useless for anything except for blues/funk or metal in the vein of Black Sabbath or The Sword, because it is a fuzz pedal. The settings on the DF-7 have bery similar characteristics to the pedals it was designed after, but at the same time are very different.
The thing I can't stress enough is the digital part. it's a cheap modeling pedal, and as a general rule, those sound bad.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
The thing I can't stress enough is the digital part. it's a cheap modeling pedal, and as a general rule, those sound bad.

But it doesn't sound bad, it sounds pretty good, especially leads, as I stated before the only problems that I have with it is a slight muddiness when I play rhythms(which I think is the speaker), and a very slight lack of aggression.
By the time you've bought a new speaker, tubes and a pedal for your Valveking you'll have spent enough money to have got an amp that isn't shit in the first place.

Sell the VK, buy something good.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
The biggest difference in your sound will come from

1) an OD pedal which will help you get teh br00t4ls and more aggression on your gain channel (and not a distortion pedal, an overdrive pedal like Digitech Bad Monkey- set volume on 10 and gain on 0 on the pedal and adjust gain to your liking on the gain channel of the amp)
2) Speaker change. I have a vet30 in mine and it really made a difference
3) EQ pedal. I reccomend the Danelectro Fish N Chips. 30 dollars and i've used one and they're great. Otherwise you can buy a MXR 10 band for 90 dollars more.
4) new tubes. Not really necessary imo.

You could always craigslist your VK and save for a bit and buy a really nice amp. The reason i bought my VK is because it was $200 on craigslist and i couldn't pass the deal up. After a speaker change + new tubes it was stilll $120 cheaper than a new VK
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Last edited by DaddyBarbs at Jan 24, 2009,
Quote by timi_hendrix
By the time you've bought a new speaker, tubes and a pedal for your Valveking you'll have spent enough money to have got an amp that isn't shit in the first place.

man has a point....

Don't judge me.
hmm... I could try to sell my VK if anyone will buy it, because it seems like everyone is selling their's, If I did try to sell it on craigslist what should I ask for it? 250? What would you guys recommend for a new amp, I was looking at the F-30 or F-50, it seems to meet all of my requirements.
Hmm...I'd say start the listing at 250. An F-30 would be a great idea, but where do you live?

Don't judge me.
ValveKings aren't all that bad. There are a few clips of heavily modded (new speakers, tubes, OD, etc.) that actually sound pretty darn good in the VK only thread. I say go that route, just stay away from the really cheap pedals/parts
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Quote by bjovi400
ValveKings aren't all that bad. There are a few clips of heavily modded (new speakers, tubes, OD, etc.) that actually sound pretty darn good in the VK only thread. I say go that route, just stay away from the really cheap pedals/parts

Right, but its a question of whether or not its worth it....he'd probably put a good $300 bucks into it in an attempt to turn it into a metal machine. Sell it for 250 and youve got a 550 dollar budget, theoretically.

Don't judge me.
if he could just wait until that extra $300 comes in march, he could get a 5150 combo and a/b it with the vk for cleans and metal
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Wait till you have the extra $300, sell your Valveking to get even more cash and then you'll have plenty for a good amp.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Quote by theoreticmusic
Hmm...I'd say start the listing at 250. An F-30 would be a great idea, but where do you live?

I live in Indiana, and there aren't many options in terms of gear here, so I will probably have to buy used on ebay.
Quote by spiff389
if he could just wait until that extra $300 comes in march, he could get a 5150 combo and a/b it with the vk for cleans and metal

interesting idea, although the vk's cleans aren't that much better than the 5150
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdclandon
interesting idea, although the vk's cleans aren't that much better than the 5150

Really? I can get some pretty good cleans from my VK, but only with my LP. The new 6505+ 112 combo that is coming out soon looks like it fits my needs for the most part, but I know that the 6505+ has less gain than the 5150 and 6505, so is it br00talz enough for what I need. Also the cleans are supposed to be better, but how much better?
Last edited by G-man05 at Jan 26, 2009,
it has "less" gain you might say, but it's plenty brutal. plenty. i know a guy who used to run his 5150 with the gain at about 6, and his music is some of the heaviest i've heard
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
The 6505+ still has enough gain to rip your head off, and the cleans on the 5150 were always usable.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
So are the cleans on the 6505+ actually good, decent, or just usable?
If you want a distortion pedal, look at the Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Metal Mayhem. If you want to overdrive the amp's own gain channel, try the Bad Monkey. If you want a new amp that will do high gain Metal, try the new Peavey Tube 60w Vypyr as that is $449 so you're well on the way to a Sanpera II pedal to go with it.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by Doadman
If you want a distortion pedal, look at the Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Metal Mayhem. If you want to overdrive the amp's own gain channel, try the Bad Monkey. If you want a new amp that will do high gain Metal, try the new Peavey Tube 60w Vypyr as that is $449 so you're well on the way to a Sanpera II pedal to go with it.

Does anyone actually read the post above them in a thread before they post?

Are the cleans on the 6505+ good, decent, or just usable?
Quote by timi_hendrix

The man speaks the truth.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Quote by SSL27
The man speaks the truth.

No sh!t. Can anyone answer my question please?
Last edited by G-man05 at Jan 27, 2009,