I'm going to college. I can get a graduation gift guitar. My range is about 500-600 dollars...maybe like a hundred or two more if I absolutely need to.

I've been rocking an Ibanez RG for the past 5ish years. It was basically my first legit guitar. She's been good to me, but I'm growing sick of her. I think it was like 300 originally marked down to like 150 due to some nicks on it. I really like the thin smooth neck, but the tuning with the floyd rose is whacky, and I'd prefer if my next guitar didn't have that. I could never completely figure out how to make the locking nuts to work for me.

What, in your opinion are the best guitars for the price they cost. I was lookin solid body. I like the blues, jazz, and some classic rock the best. I'm not big into metal...

Right now I have no gear at all minus that RG and a 15 watt keyboard amp that is like 20 years old. After 7 years of playing guitar I figure it's about time to start getting some functional gear. I donated my 150 watt Fender amp to my high school jazz band. I don't regret the decision, as they were really hurting for a guitar amp, but I do miss having a real amp....

However, this is about getting a guitar! The best guitar bang for the best guitar buck. Tell me what it is!
Fender HSS Strat?
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
some sort of hollow body would probably suit you
check out the epiphone sheraton
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
I like the Gibson SG faded series
I got mine for like 500 and it's very good for the price
You haven't got an amp yet you want a second guitar?

Get an amp.
Sounds like a MIM strat would do you good. And with the extra money you have, you could really do some serious upgrading (pickups, tuners, etc).
Are you looking for a new or an used guitar? Used Carvins go around pretty cheap; Bolts can be found in the $550 range; used DC127 and TL's can be found in the 600+ range.
Schecter C-1 series. They are quite good guitars, I would look at a C-1 Classic, you'd have to go used to find it for $600, or for a cheaper substitute the C-1 Lady Luck. Either one of those would suit you, I think.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
I'm hearing a lot of people saying that I should go strat. When I hit up the guitar center, I'll keep that in mind.
i have the hss strat and it kicks ass. has a huge amount of versatility.
Quote by smb
Freakish mammals bring the end times. It's not even 2012 yet and we're all on the path to extinction. Send cash now to God-TV!
C-1 Classic.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
He said he'd prefer to not have a floyd on this one cause of the "whacky tuning." I stand by my Schecter recommendations, but if you want a Strat then go for a standard mexi. I would buy the SSS, the HSS would work I guess, I dig the sound of 3 singles or two humbuckers, not a big fan of mixings.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
I think a used MIM HSS/SSS Fender Strat will get you the most for your money.

I use Craigslist to check out used guitars.

HSS/SSS depends on personal preference. Just try out one of each and see what you like better.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
Last edited by yellowsnow4free at Jan 24, 2009,
get a schecter. any one. you cant go wrong with any of them!
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
I have similar musical tastes as you do and I found that the best sounding guitar for me was a Fender mexican Tele for about the same budget range. I am NOT a fan of country music, but I found that the classic "snap" gave it a great sound. Its terrible for metal and heavy distortion, but awesome for some classic rock and blues.

When I went shopping, I tested a TON of guitars out and the salesman was like "try this" and I said, "yeah right". He said "trust me". I did and I was blown!
Agile Les Paul copies @ www.rondomusic.com are very good Les Pauls made in Korea and has ALOT of bang for the buck if you like the fat bluesy sound or the Slash sound. I've heard from others that they are way better then epiphones (even the custom and elitist). My Agile AL-3000 was only $379. They have nice colors too, mine is Honey sunburst. you can listen and compare to a gibson les paul @

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDaxIQNkirk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6ZSS-GIRA8&feature=related
My Gear:
Agile AL-3000 Honeyburst
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Last edited by Arzon at Jan 24, 2009,
Yeah. They look sweet. Especially with that new green finish. Ah... too many choices, at first I thought the blue was the sexiest and now I think it might be the green! So lost... so very, very lost.

MIM strat or a PRS SE, both would do what you want well, i have also heard good things about michael kelly's.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

yeah man go with a strat or a tele get an american one lol put some money into the economy.
Yeh Fender Standard Strat
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Jackson DK2, Jackson DK2M, Schecter C-1 Classic, something along those lines.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Quote by Snake™
Jackson DK2, Jackson DK2M, Schecter C-1 Classic, something along those lines.

dont listen to him strats and teles sounds way better for blues and rock.
Quote by Arzon
Agile Les Paul copies @ www.rondomusic.com are very good Les Pauls made in Korea and has ALOT of bang for the buck if you like the fat bluesy sound or the Slash sound. I've heard from others that they are way better then epiphones (even the custom and elitist). My Agile AL-3000 was only $379. They have nice colors too, mine is Honey sunburst. you can listen and compare to a gibson les paul @

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDaxIQNkirk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6ZSS-GIRA8&feature=related

Get off your high horse. Cheaper build quality than the Elitist, so ITS NOT better, it still remains a good guitar though. I personally own one btw.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Quote by Final
I'd suggest an Agile AL3000 or so as well, definitely worth the money.

I second that, this guitar is sweet. Its definately better than most epiphones and some people think that their close to Gibson quality.
You and I are mortal, but rock n roll will never die.
Epiphone G-400's have a great tone for the price.

Same with C-1's.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
MIM Fender Strat

or

Fender Highway One Strat, they go new for $750ish, but you could find one used within your price range.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Quote by DespisedIcon
C-1 Classic.

The new ones are the sex.

+1
They're extremely versatile.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.