Poll: Best metal amp for bands like, God Forbid, Gojira, Slayer, C.O.B., Unearth, AJX, BFMV
Poll Options
View poll results: Best metal amp for bands like, God Forbid, Gojira, Slayer, C.O.B., Unearth, AJX, BFMV
ENGL Blackmore
4 8%
Framus Cobra
8 15%
VHT Sig x
1 2%
ENGL Powerball
11 21%
VHT UL Pittbull
7 13%
Peavey 5150
11 21%
Soldano Avenger
2 4%
Orange Rockerverb
1 2%
Mesa dual rec
6 11%
Rivera knucklehead tre
2 4%
Voters: 53.
Page 1 of 2
I've been looking at amps online for sometime now. I have seen great reviews of the ENGL powerball. I recently saw a Framus Cobra and it sounded really brutal, but I don't know a lot about those.

So far the amps I am giving a lot of thought to are:

ENGL Powerball
Peavey 5150,6505
Mesa Stilleto, Dual Rec
Krank Rev 1
Framus Cobra
Soldano Avenger
VHT Pittbull

I can't play all of these amps, but would like to hear others opinions on them and which one they would go with for my purposes. I play almost all Metal. I have a Jackson Kevin Bond with a high output SD pup and will most likely be using this amp for everything from playing in the house to gigs. Having a tight high gain sound is what I am looking for.
ENGL Powerball, VHT Pitbull, or Framus Cobra.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Have you considered the Diezel Einstein? thats the best Metal amp ive ever played on and it has the tightest High Gain sound!
Gear:

Tokai Les Paul LS65
Carvin MTS3200 212 Combo
Boss SD-1 with Monte Allums GT Mod
Dunlop Crybaby

100 Watt Marshall JCM900 2x12 Combo For Sale! £400! PM Me For Details/Offers...
If you don't need the versatility, I highly recommend the Fireball over the Powerball. It's far more direct and rawer too.
The 6505 is an industry standard, and they can sound great in the right hands, or a complete fizzy mess in the wrong ones. They don't sound good when quiet, but really roar when cranked up. Watch out for the naturally scooped sound, boosting with a tubescreamer type pedal can really help cut through.
The Stiletto sounds great, but I wouldn't recommend one for metal. The Recs are not worth the effort IMO, far better sounding amps out there.
The Kranks I've played have all lacked definition, just huge piles of gain for the most part. That said, I haven't tried their latest revised versions which are apparently much better.
The Cobra is a great amp, especially for the money. It's extremely tight and clear, and has a great clean channel. It needs to be biased hotter to avoid untameable fizz, but it will still suck at low volumes.
The Soldano is excellent, though it wouldn't be my call for a purely metal amp, better for more old school tones IMO.
The VHTs are great, but the very dry voicing and fast response can put some people off.

You should also take a look into Mako amps, and the Bogner Uberschall, though the latter can be loose without a boost.
Quote by YoHendrix
Have you considered the Diezel Einstein? thats the best Metal amp ive ever played on and it has the tightest High Gain sound!

I used to own one. It excelled more at hard rock than metal, but it could definitely do metal. It has more of a recto-ish feel in the low-end imo, just not as flubby.

Personally, I've been GASing for a Cobra lately, so I'd go with one of those
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I used to own one. It excelled more at hard rock than metal, but it could definitely do metal. It has more of a recto-ish feel in the low-end imo, just not as flubby.

Personally, I've been GASing for a Cobra lately, so I'd go with one of those

Yeah i know what you mean, it had a great Classic feel when the gain was down but when it was put up it screamed Metallica (at their best)
Gear:

Tokai Les Paul LS65
Carvin MTS3200 212 Combo
Boss SD-1 with Monte Allums GT Mod
Dunlop Crybaby

100 Watt Marshall JCM900 2x12 Combo For Sale! £400! PM Me For Details/Offers...
Quote by Lucky7s
I've been looking at amps online for sometime now. I have seen great reviews of the ENGL powerball. I recently saw a Framus Cobra and it sounded really brutal, but I don't know a lot about those.

So far the amps I am giving a lot of thought to are:

ENGL Powerball
Peavey 5150,6505
Mesa Stilleto, Dual Rec
Krank Rev 1
Framus Cobra
Soldano Avenger
VHT Pittbull

I can't play all of these amps, but would like to hear others opinions on them and which one they would go with for my purposes. I play almost all Metal. I have a Jackson Kevin Bond with a high output SD pup and will most likely be using this amp for everything from playing in the house to gigs. Having a tight high gain sound is what I am looking for.

ENGL Powerball - Great high gain amp, pretty modern voicing...loads of usable gain on tap, some call it lifeless, but I personally disagree. I like it a lot, I'm buying one in a few weeks. they sound great at low levels

Peavey 5150 - They sound terrible to me w/o a bias mod..but after that it really opens this beast up. It sounds pretty brutal, cuts really well too. My only gripe with it is that the Peavey 6505 tone is now so boring and generic cuz it's everywhere.

Mesa Stiletto - British voiced recto minus the suck, but not really great for metal. Voiced more towards hard rock, and not enough gain on tap

Mesa Recto - Avoid these imo, fizzy overpriced paperweights. Very loose, undefined, inarticulate.

Krank Rev 1 - Really love or hate here, some people hate it, some love it. Try one out yourself.

Framus Cobra - Raw, aggressive, sheer brutality. Sometimes it takes a while to dial in and grow on you. Pretty dark and gritty amp.

Soldano Avenger - Pretty damn good for metal. Great dark voicing, responsive EQ, great leads, and can bring the br00tz for sure.

VHT Pitbull - Again...love/hate. Pretty dry sounding...signature VHT sound. Can bring the br00tz. can get pretty gritty or smooth depending on how you eq it. It can do metal with ease, dont have to crank it really either. Personally, I think the price is a bit steep, but that's just my opinion. Very cab dependant head too imo, as most VHTs are IMO.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
I think I have it down to the ENGL fireball/powerball, Framus Cobra, or a Peavey 6505/5150.

I have heard the Peavey stuff can take a real beating and keep going, how about the Framus and the ENGL? Also if I were to go used on either the Framus or ENGL, is there a price, that would be fair for both seller and buyer? (I've seen about $1200 to $1800 for each, but for a used amp, not sure it's a better idea to just get the Peavey brand new)
I would probably have to say the ENGL or perhaps looking at a Carvin V3 It has PLENTY of versatility. 3 channels with 23 knobs and like 7 switches. Anyway, I like the distorted channel/ sound from the Peaveys but their clean is just awful. Needs a noise gate or something. Though if you are mostly only playing metal than I suppose this won't be much of a problem. ENGL sounds great for metal, I like them.

Final word:
Carvin V3
ENGL Powerball or Fireball
Origonally Posted by Lauke_101
And you're right

Gibson>Moog>KJL>Homebrew 2x12

Saving 4 any one of these:
Soldano Hot Rod
Splawn (anything)
Laney GH50L
Cornford Roadhouse
Marshall JCM2000
KJL 4x12 to match KJL head
The other amps are made in Germany.

But in all seriousness, they're all built like brick shithouses. You just hear more about Peaveys being durable because they're also cheap and everyone carries them.

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

That makes sense about the peaveys. As for a cab, should I just stick with the same brand? I'm looking for a tight crisp sound, with a low bottom end.

Hopefully I will find a sweet deal on the ENGL or Framus.
Vaders are tight as a 12 year old pussy Robert Plant's jeans and crisp as a fresh picked head of cabbage. You might wanna change at least two of the speakers in the 4x12 to the 75 watt Legends to beef up the tone though.

If you get the Cobra, it needs the Cobra 4x12.

Stupid name.

[Shinozoku]
"Vaders are tight as a 12 year old pussy."

OMG LOL.
You are the man
Origonally Posted by Lauke_101
And you're right

Gibson>Moog>KJL>Homebrew 2x12

Saving 4 any one of these:
Soldano Hot Rod
Splawn (anything)
Laney GH50L
Cornford Roadhouse
Marshall JCM2000
KJL 4x12 to match KJL head
A vader cab would be better than the ENGL or Framus?

Just wondering, not saying anyone is wrong, I really just don't know.
Quote by Nolly

The 6505 is an industry standard, and they can sound great in the right hands, or a complete fizzy mess in the wrong ones. They don't sound good when quiet, but really roar when cranked up. Watch out for the naturally scooped sound, boosting with a tubescreamer type pedal can really help cut through.

What?

6505's sound fine at lower volumes. And I don't really know what you mean by a naturally scooped sound, as the 6505 is known as a mid-heavy amp.
gear:
-Ibanez ART 120 (w/EMG 81/85)
-Ibanez RG 1570
-Peavey 6505
-Tube-Town TTC 212V
-ISP Decimator G-String
-Maxon OD-9
-T-rex Fuel tank Junior

Coming soon:
-BBE Sonic Maximizer
-EQ
Quote by Nolly
If you don't need the versatility, I highly recommend the Fireball over the Powerball. It's far more direct and rawer too.
The Stiletto sounds great, but I wouldn't recommend one for metal. The Recs are not worth the effort IMO, far better sounding amps out there.
The Kranks I've played have all lacked definition, just huge piles of gain for the most part. That said, I haven't tried their latest revised versions which are apparently much better.
The Cobra is a great amp, especially for the money. It's extremely tight and clear, and has a great clean channel. It needs to be biased hotter to avoid untameable fizz, but it will still suck at low volumes.
The Soldano is excellent, though it wouldn't be my call for a purely metal amp, better for more old school tones IMO.
The VHTs are great, but the very dry voicing and fast response can put some people off.

+1 basically (except i haven't tried the cobra- and i quite like the recto, but agree it's terrible value in the UK/Europe). i thought the soldano did metal fine, but then my metal is more 80s than br00talz (though i thought it could get pretty close to br00talz too).

EDIT: i never really had a problem with 5150s at lower volumes either...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 28, 2009,
I think its hit and miss with 5150/6505's and lower volumes. I have played a few that were super fizzy and others with little to no fizz whats so ever.. Example mine is pretty fizz free thank god.
that's possible
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hmm, well from what it seems the 5150 is love hate too.

I'm looking at Orange, Framus, Mesa, Krank, VHT, and Soldano cabs. I was thinking of picking up a cab before the amp, as there's some great buys on cabs that pop up every once in a while, the heads seem harder to find. I did find a nice Framus Cobra head, but it has no footswitch but it does have a nice road case.

As for cabs, is it going to make a huge difference?
Cabs influence your tone as much as the guitar and amp IMHO.
You are looking at some good brands, but I wouldn't bother with Soldano cabs. They don't compare soundwise to Mesa, Orange, VHT or Krank.
I'm a big supporter of Mesa cabs myself. I'm thinking of buying a second one currently.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
^^ if it's in good condition and a good price, i don't think the footswitch would matter all that much. As far as I'm aware it's an optional extra anyway (doesn't come with it), so you could probably just buy another one (assuming it's cheap, and assuming the price has been lowered to allow for the lack of f/switch).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have a Soldano Avenger with a Vader 2x15 600w cab.......very tight......very brutal. Need I say more
I saw one post that the framus may suck at low volumes, anyone else care to chime in on that? Suck or no suckage at low volumes?

also looking at a VHT deliverance 60, any thoughts on this amp?
Last edited by Lucky7s at Jan 31, 2009,
never tried a framus unfortunately, can't help you there. i think i may have heard that too, but it's only hearsay...

i liked the deliverance i tried, but it's only single channel (with f/s boost).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by bdof
I have a Soldano Avenger with a Vader 2x15 600w cab.......very tight......very brutal. Need I say more

Incedentally, one of Whitechapel's guitarists is selling the exact same setup right now, plus a Fernandez guitar O.o

Stupid name.

Quote by Shinozoku
Incedentally, one of Whitechapel's guitarists is selling the exact same setup right now, plus a Fernandez guitar O.o

Never heard of them...
The poll is looking interesting. I have read a lot of things that people didn't like about the Mesa's, but the poll attached seems to be getting more votes than the others.
yeah, that's surprising. it couldn't be because UG is full of noobs who've heard of mesas and none of the other brands. this is why you shouldn't make polls, internet forums are anonymous enough without letting people influence you without even having to justify their opinion...

EDIT: don't get me wrong, i like mesas (just not their prices in europe), but if a lot of people are voting for the well-known brand, especially somewhere like UG where there is a high proportion of younger teenagers, there's a fairly good chance it's because they've only heard of the mesa.

i didn't vote, btw, i prefer to write my response, at least that way you have a better chance of deciding whether i'm an idiot or not...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Feb 9, 2009,
OP, maybe also look into the Peavey 3120 (even though they're not out yet, from what I've heard on YouTube they're pretty sweet) and the Splawn Nitro... Also Mesa Mark V.

When I tried a Dual Recto, I didn't like it so much for br00t4lz. The Pittbull is very dry sounding. Can't comment on the others though.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Id go with the Rivera Knucklehead Tre, the Framus Cobra or the ENGL Blackmore........... these amps can give you teh br00talzzz easily......
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Of that list, I've played the Dual Rectifier (Roadster, I think there's a tone leap, but the voicing is very much the same as far as I've been able to tell), the Orange, and I own a 6505.
For the bands you listed, I vote 5150/6505 for sure, considering BFMV, Unearth, Gojira use them, and I think God Forbid has used them in the past. They are great amps for what you can do with them, but for a cabinet with them V30's are the greatest speaker for them as the help the upper mids and really bring out the full amp, as the amp itself is low-mid accentuated and dark sounding, the V30's really help the tone on that part. You can definantly get fizz with them, which sounds like **** as we're all aware, but with a TS and an EQ, that solves that problem easy. Mine has only gets fizz on the high-gain input, but I use it on the normal gain input with a TS and EQ to help cut through the mix. All of my clips on my profile are using that set-up, and you're welcome to check them out if you like
I think the dual rec wasn't worth it's dollar, but other's can disagree to that. It was definantly a good amp, but not exactly what you're looking for I wouldn't say, along with the Orange.
Ok, i played the 3210 at GC on Saturday. I honestly have to say that for 1,000 usd's it is probably the best amp you will ever get for under a 1,000. Sounds a little like a 6505 but the tone is a little darker and gain is a bit more brutal. I would seriously look at that head when they come out everywhere. If I had a 1,000 bucks to get an amp right now, I wouldn't think twice.

But, I voted for the Rivera Knuckle Tre on this thread because it is one of the coolest looking amps ever!!!
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
If you can afford a Framus Cobra, you can afford an ENGL Invader.

(A challenger appears?)
WTLTL 2011
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
Id go with the ENGL Blackmore........... these amps can give you teh br00talzzz easily......

i'm not sure about the blackmore for br00tzals... it can get there, but it's one of those ones where you kind of have to try it to see if it can get there for you... i know some metal players love it, while others think it's a little too vintage-sounding. personally i'd prefer it for more 80s-style metal.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i'm not sure about the blackmore for br00tzals... it can get there, but it's one of those ones where you kind of have to try it to see if it can get there for you... i know some metal players love it, while others think it's a little too vintage-sounding. personally i'd prefer it for more 80s-style metal.

i'm taking the plunge later this week. ill let you know if i regret it ;_;

going for a thick melodic death/prog metal type tone with it with a very aggressive bite but smooth sustain for leads..

am i setting sail for fail :'(
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
i wouldn't say you're setting sail for fail, just don't be too surprised/disappointed if you don't like it. it is pretty smooth, though, and i like it (it's probably my favourite of the cheaper engls).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i wouldn't say you're setting sail for fail, just don't be too surprised/disappointed if you don't like it. it is pretty smooth, though, and i like it (it's probably my favourite of the cheaper engls).

i dont know what else my options are... :\

if it comes down to it, I just might fall back on the Fireball. it had my dream rhythm tone, and a damn good lead tone, but it wasnt quite as smooth as i wanted.

how about Framus Cobra? i've heard they can sound bad at low volumes, and have the infamous annoying fizzy high freqs that drive me mad, or even splawn nitros
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
Page 1 of 2