Hello GB&C. I have build a few tube circuits, an overdrive pedal and a preamp. I know how tubes work in theory, but I have no idea how they work in application.
I was wondering if any of you could direct me to diagrams or articles detailing exactly what goes on at each pin of a tube. This is something I just haven't found as of yet, and would be greatly appreciated.

Btw, I did search. All of the things I found were either the internal bits of a tube, or schematics of amps.
Thank you. I've skimmed that before, but I will read more in-depth now.

EDIT: After careful perusal of that thread and its links, I still have not found what I'm looking for. If this helps, what I need is a explanation of the parts that aren't the tubes. Something like the "Cook your own distortion" article, only for tube amps.
Last edited by Pastorius at Jan 24, 2009,
http://www.funwithtubes.com/
www.ax84.com
www.aikenamps.com

Books:
Basic Electron Tubes by Geppert
Fundamentals of Vacuum Tubes by Eastman
The Radiotron Designers Handbook is a good read once you really understand what is going on with the tubes. Alot of people get the book and try to learn from it at first which is very difficult because it is all mathematical equations that don't really explain exactly why certain things happen.

You may also want to look into how Field Effect and Bipolar Junction Transistors work in order to get some background as the mathematics behind them are a bit easier than tubes. If you have access to a college library search for older vacuum tube text books, the first two books i listed are old textbooks from the 60's, and try to learn them. You need to learn alot of circuit theory (circuit analysis, phasors etc etc) in order to really understand everything.

Good Luck on finding more out there.