Page 1 of 2
I've had these DD's in my guitar 10 years, and they're all right, but not great. I'm about to place an order for SD '59 and a Dist SH6. I haven't had the opportunity to test the SD's myself but have heard sound clip on YOu tube and such.
I know it kinda all depends on the player for what pickups they like, but Do you guys think there will be a noticeable difference betwwen the DD's and the actual SD's?
Yes, although it also depends on the quality of your amp.

If you don't have a good, responsive (preferably tube) amp, I'd recommend putting the money in a new amp fund and sticking with your DD's for a while longer.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Jan 24, 2009,
Quote by Bonsaischaap
Yes, although it also depends on the quality of your amp.

If you don't have a good, responsive (preferably tube) amp, I'd recommend putting the money in a new amp fund and sticking with your DD's for a while longer.

+ 1
I'm not in a band so I mainly play through a Carvin 100w solid state amp. I've thought about investing in a tube amp (maybe a half stack, but it doesn't seem to fit my needs right now. Most of the time I play through the amp and to headphones, no the boss doesn't bitch. If I had a Nice tube amp, I'd go for some active pickups, but seeing these seymours are passive, they seemed like the right upgrade. I just want to make sure I not wasting my money.
Quote by Sick Man
Im new here, whats + 1

pretty much as simple as meaning: the person agrees and are quoting what they said
Quote by stratdud39
sound clips for pickups are useless unless they compare them with the same rig. I'd get a new amp instead of pickups, because you'll hear much more of a difference. Also, what type of music do you play?

I play mostly metal, but also play some zeppelin, floyd, etc. The reason I've been looking into pickups it mine just don't seem to sound the same as they used to. My neck pickup seems almost worthless, bridge is alright, but when soloing, they just don't seem to scream like I would like them to.
Also, I'm looking at spending only around 200 on upgrades right now, and won't be able to get a new amp for a while, unless I can get a decent price for the ones I have currently.
Last edited by Sick Man at Jan 24, 2009,
Quote by Sick Man
I play mostly metal, but also play some zeppelin, floyd, etc. The reason I've been looking into pickups it mine just don't seem to sound the same as they used to. My neck pickup seems almost worthless, bridge is alright, but when soloing, they just don't seem to scream like I would like them to.
Also, I'm looking at spending only around 200 on upgrades right now, and won't be able to get a new amp for a while, unless I can get a decent price for the ones I have currently.

yeah again i think a new amp would be way better, you could sell the carvin and use the money for the pickups, but its up to u
Guess the main ? is if their will be a noticable difference between the two when playing on the same amp I'm using now.
Quote by Sick Man
Guess the main ? is if their will be a noticable difference between the two when playing on the same amp I'm using now.

well you'll probably notice a small difference, but if i were you i'd wait for the new peavy 6505+ combo to come out, its real cheap too, $720 is the U.S. MSRP price, so it should be around 500, which is REALLY REALLY CHEAP
Ive played in the 5150 and , Damn, I would love to have that. A half stack would be sweet but don't feel I'd use its full potential any time soon. 500 is about what I would spend for amp. Is the 6505 a head and cab, or all one unit?
Quote by Sick Man
Ive played in the 5150 and , Damn, I would love to have that. A half stack would be sweet but don't feel I'd use its full potential any time soon. 500 is about what I would spend for amp. Is the 6505 a head and cab, or all one unit?

combo means all in one unit
Quote by stratdud39
combo means all in one unit

Yeah, guess I didn't read it close enough to see combo. I got the "want some new gear" bug. I actually want to get a new guitar (Schecter Hellraiser with the EMG actives) cause I'm tired of the floyd rose headache, but dont have the right cash yet which is why I thought I'd upgrade what I got. But if I got a different amp, my choices of pickups might change as well, would maybe go with actives, and really want new pickups. Any idea when the 6505 is due to come out?
Last edited by Sick Man at Jan 24, 2009,
Someone recently trade in a hellraiser at a Pawnshop, was going to buy the mint guitar for 500, and the day I showed up, the guy paid his dues and took it back. My wife was fine with the deal I made with them at pawn shop, but a new guitar will take some persuasion, you know what mean. So I was looking a just spicin mine up. She wouldn't know the difference. She will know if there is a new sweet ass amp sitting in my studio, and there might be some conflict, but there always is so who cares.
Well, ive been searching through some amps and well, I can tell its been a long time sisce i looked at them. Everything now is new to me. I would be looking for something fairly powerful but still a combo unit and $400 range ( Maybe a little more if I could trade/sell my two amps) Seems the tubes in that range are pretty dinky. I know more about Car stereo amp than guitar amps, so I'll need advise. I see alot of them say there stereo, modeling, digital. It would take forever for you guys to get too detailed, so just a little info would be great. Solid state is what I own, but what are modeling, stereo, and digital mainly for and how do they compare to SS and tubes.
Quote by stratdud39
not sure, hopefully soon, heres the link http://www.peavey.com/news/article.cfm/action/view/id/352/20091501.cfm
and if u were to get a new guitar i wouldnt even buy the pups for this guitar...yet anyways. it adds up to quite a bit of money.

Looks like I might be dropping 500 bucks on one of these babies in Q2 of '09...whenever that is haha.I think it means quarter 2 so maybe sometime in spring?

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by stratdud39
not sure, hopefully soon, heres the link http://www.peavey.com/news/article.cfm/action/view/id/352/20091501.cfm
and if u were to get a new guitar i wouldnt even buy the pups for this guitar...yet anyways. it adds up to quite a bit of money.

Checked out that link for the 6505 and looks like a nice amp. 60watt but has nice features. I also have a Crate GX 80 (80watt rms) which seems to have enough power for me, but probably not good on stage. Ive had some issues but seem to have it fixed. I am mainly looking for something between 60-100watts, EQ, but no excessive built in effects, since I would use my processor. The Peavy ValveKing 112 looks nice but has some features I'd rather no pay for. Any other amps you've heard good feedback on?
Last edited by Sick Man at Jan 25, 2009,
im in the same spot as you, but I don't have $200 right now.
i have dd, but instead of blackouts ill prolly get emgs but active.

anyway, i want a tube amp first, heres the research i have done so far:
-B 52 at-112
-Peavey vypyr tube 60, Real tube power/combo,
has modeling presets too *****
-Peavey windsor studio
-Blackheart little giant or handsome devil
-Vox custom classic AC15 or AC30 (hella money tho)
-VOX valvetronix?
-Marshall AVT50, my friend has this amp and swears by it, though it is not carried by guitar center or musicians friend, they are going on ebay used and new for like $250.

*Note: Marshall MG's are supposed to be awful. Not even real
Marshalls.

hope this helps a little
Ive been nonstop looking at gear and reviews lately, and cant decide if I would get a combo amp, or set up my own small head and cab config. Ive found the best selection with great product reviews at Sam Ash and AMS. Sam ash also offer NO int./No pay for 3-12 month, so I might get my gear sooner thanI thought.
personally i would only get a cab/head if I was going to be playing a large venue.
i can't imagine ever needing 4 12" speakers, but want is a totally different thing, haha.
the difference between DDs and SDs is WHERE they are made. i is the same parts but the Designed ones are put together in Asia. real duncans are put together in USA. PARTS AND SPECS ARE THE SAME!
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
A good way to understand the "Designed by [Insert Company Here]" thing is to look at LFR's vs. OFR's. It's a fancy way to say "Licensed under [Insert Company Here] patents" as they're built similar using similiar parts/geometry but the OFR is the better choice
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Yeah, it seem my DD's are a good pickup, but cant find out exactly which they are. But your saying there wont be much difference in sound (tone, gain, etc) since they are made the same and with same materials?
All I know is that if im finger tapping or hammering on, they just don't seem to pickup the sound as well as some other guitars I've tried, to was hoping upgrading the pups might be a good and cheaper first step.
could it be your solid state amp?
not sure but would it sound better on a tubed amp?
I'm sure a tube amp would make the guitar sing much better, but buying an amp is a larger investment (much larger). I know active pickups are alot more sensitive, but have heard they don't sound good with solid state amps. I figured the SD SH6 would be alot more sensitive than my DD's. I'd buy EMG 81's or Livewires if I knew they would sound alright with my gear. Basically, I want a more sensitive pickup.
New pups will make a good tone better,but they wont make a bad tone amazing.The only thing that can do that is more practice and a nice amplifier.You could go out and spend 200 dollars on pickups and not get much of an improvement in your tone,or,you could wait and get a new amp and get a major step up in overall tone and sound quality.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Well, with the EQ set properly on my Carvin amp, the guitar sound good, harmonics are good, but most people tell me pickups have alot to do with the way a guitar sound. My carvin does sound way better than my crate amp, so the amp does make a dramatic difference.
I just looked up some more specs on my guitar and it looks like the DD's that are on my KE3 are the Detonators HB-103. I guess they are based after the SD SH6 Distortions. I just don't get why the SD's would cost way more and not be any hotter or sensitive than the cheaper Duncan Designed. The Kelly Pro models run more money and not much is different on them accept the pickups. Their must be some advantage to the SD's.
Quote by Sick Man
Well, with the EQ set properly on my Carvin amp, the guitar sound good, harmonics are good, but most people tell me pickups have alot to do with the way a guitar sound. My carvin does sound way better than my crate amp, so the amp does make a dramatic difference.
I just looked up some more specs on my guitar and it looks like the DD's that are on my KE3 are the Detonators HB-103. I guess they are based after the SD SH6 Distortions. I just don't get why the SD's would cost way more and not be any hotter or sensitive than the cheaper Duncan Designed. The Kelly Pro models run more money and not much is different on them accept the pickups. Their must be some advantage to the SD's.

SD's are higher quality and will sound better than DD pups,but it all depends on what rig they're running through.If you want increased response and sensitivity to things like picking dynamics and technique then a tube amp is the way to go.They really let your individual style as a guitarist shine through instead of the actual amp,much easier to work with than SS amp in that respect.

I'll give you a good example.I hated the Duncan JB that was in the bridge of my Jackson when I played through my old Marshall AVT 150 combo.When I switched over to a much higher quality,all tube amp,the JB's true character came out and now I find that I like the little sucker.I also noticed the little nuances of my playing style coming through more,and the overall tone sounded much clearer and more natural,while still being higher gain than my old Marshall.

Despite what people say it's a fact that the amp makes up the majority of your sound.From what I've learned it goes like this.

Amp > tone wood > guitar skills > pups and hardware > effects and misc.

So you can see by that little thingy that the amp and the guitars basic characteristics make up a lot of your sound.Them comes your skills as a musician.If you give a virtuoso a squire starter pack they can still make it wail,because they're really skilled on their instrument.On the other hand,if you give a beginner a Mesa and a 3000 dollar PRS,it wont make him an instantly good guitarist.After that the pups come in.If you have a good solid base tone to work with then new pups can make a big difference,like I said earlier,they make a good tone that much better.After that the effects you run and other random things make up the rest of your tone.Things like delay and booster pedals and all that.

So if you do get a new amp you may be surprised that the DD pups aren't that bad,it may have just been your amp that was causing the problem.Trust me when I say this because I played on what I thought was a good amp for 4 years,then when I made the switch to tube amps it was like night and day,insane increase in my overall tone and the response to my playing style.

Quote by Sick Man

The difference will only shine through well if you get a nice amp.
Quote by Horlicks
Yes there is. But Seymour Duncans are still overpriced and mediocre.

Not helpful at all,he needs facts here,not opinions.

Quote by Pr0gNut

Not helpful at all,he needs facts here,not opinions.

Not when he's considering buying a set of pick-ups just after hearing YouTube videos.
Quote by Horlicks
Not when he's considering buying a set of pick-ups just after hearing YouTube videos.

No,that's when he NEEDS facts,because it's a bad idea no matter how you spin it.Why is it that it seems that every "New Pickups" thread on UG ends up becoming a "What Amp?" thread ?

I'll agree with you on SD's not being my main choice for upgrade pups,but they aren't horrible pickups.They're hit or miss for me,I despise the invader and dimebucker but the JB and '59 aren't that bad IMO.

Quote by Pr0gNut
No,that's when he NEEDS facts,because it's a bad idea no matter how you spin it.Why is it that it seems that every "New Pickups" thread on UG ends up becoming a "What Amp?" thread ?

I'll agree with you on SD's not being my main choice for upgrade pups,but they aren't horrible pickups.They're hit or miss for me,I despise the invader and dimebucker but the JB and '59 aren't that bad IMO.

I have a '59 in my Washburn. It's decent enough but sounds kind of muddy to me, and if that's the best SD put out, I don't have much hope for the rest of their pickups.
Quote by Horlicks
I have a '59 in my Washburn. It's decent enough but sounds kind of muddy to me, and if that's the best SD put out, I don't have much hope for the rest of their pickups.

I've never had a '59 get muddy on me,but I've had other SD models do that.The Invader that came in the bridge on my 7 string is pretty piss poor,and every dimebucker I've used was thin and trebely.I haven't used many of their less popular models,just the JB,'59,Invader,and the DB.I prefer DiMarzio or boutique brands for my upgrade pups over Duncan TBH.

I just got back an offer for my carvin amp for $135 (was over $450 new). I would like to part with my crate, so I'll check around town to see if I can get more for the two, and then get a better amp, a valve amp, and pay the difference. In the meantime, Im going to order SD '59 and SH6 (or custom 5). I think the pickups are due anyways. The Guitar was down in my basement for a summer and the moisture did a number on it;some corrosion. Both hums work but the neck doesn't do much, but the bridge still sounds O.K. but I know the guitar sounded better at one time. I figure if I'm going to get new pups, might as well get the ones I really want.
Once again, I play mostly metal, and will be upgrading to a tube amp soon, but will play on the SS till then, so I would love any suggestions on pickups you feel would do the job better than the SD 59 and SH6. What you go with?
Page 1 of 2