Ibanez Artcore AF75
Randall RM100m with Blackface clean module (And SL+ and Ultra XL gain modules).
Vader 2x12

How would one go about getting a good Jazz tone with these? I also have an Ibanez 25 watt solid-state if that would be better, I'll be playing amongst 15 others in a school percussion ensemble with two drum kits, so the Ibby would be out of the question unless miced.

It's hard to get a clear, warm sound out of the Artcore, sadly. I know I need to get a pickup change, should I get my friend with experience to do it, or pay for it to be done? Also, I can't afford another module for the amp.
Basically, what EQ curve should I go for? The Vader is a really mid-heavy cab. Should I use a bit of gain on my module?
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Hard to get a clean warm sound out of an Artcore????????

You sir, are doing something pretty wrong if you can't pull a nice clean from an artcore. Stock pickups or no.

My advice would be obviously to use the clean module, pickup selector in the middle position, and roll off some of the tone on the bridge pickup and maybe a little less volume there was well. Make sure you're not pushing the treble on the amp too hard and use a nice dose of midrange to give you plenty of presence.
this may sound trivial at first, but what do you have it strung up with? the switch from Roundwounds to Flatwounds can really change your tone. plus, it's a helluva lot cheaper than a pickup change, new pedal, EQ, or any of that. try changing to flatwounds.

also, turn off the bright switch on the module, keep the bass at 1-2 o'clock, mids at 3 o'clock and keep the treble dialed down to about 10-11 o'clock. keep your tone as clean as possible, turn your volume to maximum, then use the gain knob as your volume control.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Weybl Himself
Hard to get a clean warm sound out of an Artcore????????

You sir, are doing something pretty wrong if you can't pull a nice clean from an artcore. Stock pickups or no.

My advice would be obviously to use the clean module, pickup selector in the middle position, and roll off some of the tone on the bridge pickup and maybe a little less volume there was well. Make sure you're not pushing the treble on the amp too hard and use a nice dose of midrange to give you plenty of presence.

I'm getting a CLEAN sound, but it's muddy. I'm blaming it on the Ibanez stock pickups
Quote by Jhachey22
this may sound trivial at first, but what do you have it strung up with? the switch from Roundwounds to Flatwounds can really change your tone. plus, it's a helluva lot cheaper than a pickup change, new pedal, EQ, or any of that. try changing to flatwounds.

also, turn off the bright switch on the module, keep the bass at 1-2 o'clock, mids at 3 o'clock and keep the treble dialed down to about 10-11 o'clock. keep your tone as clean as possible, turn your volume to maximum, then use the gain knob as your volume control.

Dean Markley Nickelsteels, probably 10-52. I'm under the impression that flatwounds would actually contribute to the muddiness though...?

Basically, it's for one song: Slam Shuffle from Final Fantasy VI

Should I get ground wounds, or go completely flat?

Oh, and by the way, I'm using Dunlop Tortex Jazz picks (The only pick I'll ever use )

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

Last edited by Shinozoku at Jan 24, 2009,
Quote by Shinozoku

Dean Markley Nickelsteels, probably 10-52. I'm under the impression that flatwounds would actually contribute to the muddiness though...?

Basically, it's for one song: Slam Shuffle from Final Fantasy VI

Should I get ground wounds, or go completely flat?

Oh, and by the way, I'm using Dunlop Tortex Jazz picks (The only pick I'll ever use )

well, if it's only for one song, then don't both doing anything that will affect your other songs. if you have to change your gear to accomodate ONE song, then you'd be better off re-arranging the song, in my opinion.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Jhachey22
well, if it's only for one song, then don't both doing anything that will affect your other songs. if you have to change your gear to accomodate ONE song, then you'd be better off re-arranging the song, in my opinion.

Well, I don't use the Artcore much anyways, as my Edwards is my main guitar, and I keep my Kramer in Dropped Bb. Most of the reason I don't use the Artcore is mainly because it was an impulse buy (it's so damn PRETTY >< ) when I as younger, and chances are I'd be using it for other stuff needing a Jazzy sound. So a pickup change would really help it regardless. And strings are nothing, I don't mind changing them.

Stupid name.

Just an update, sorry for double posting.

That worked out really great, actually I set my amp's presence at about 11:30-11:45 and the density about 12:30, and it's warm, but not AS muddy as before This actually works well for a nice bright, clear clean with my Edwards too, but I might bump up the bass a lil, and the mids down some to keep it from being too harsh. And what's amazing is, the D Activator X in my Edwards still doesn't OD the Blackface Mind you, the Blackface's gain is sitting at 10:00 right now.

Stupid name.

I'm surprised, my Artcore isn't even a bit muddy. You should probably turn down the bass a bit.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
It might be my pickup height too, I'll have to check on that. It's mostly the neck pickup, though.

Stupid name.

Last edited by Shinozoku at Jan 25, 2009,