Comments on this half-stack.
Anyone who has tested/owns one add details.
Main Setup:
Charvel So-Cal

Dunlop Volume
Digitech Tuner
Custom Compressor
VFE Blues King
Ibanez TS9 30th Anniv
Boss DD20
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Hardwire Supernatural
Loop-Master 2 Channel Looper

Mesa Single Rec
Im pretty happy with mine. Its not stock tho. They arent very versatile out of the box.
Quote by Tackleberry
Im pretty happy with mine. Its not stock tho. They arent very versatile out of the box.

ok, i know they only have a vol knob, but will a distortion pedal sound good thru it?
i have a boss ml-2.
does the tone sound good?
Main Setup:
Charvel So-Cal

Dunlop Volume
Digitech Tuner
Custom Compressor
VFE Blues King
Ibanez TS9 30th Anniv
Boss DD20
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Hardwire Supernatural

Mesa Single Rec
not for metal... If you are satisfied with the metal zone though, I'm sure you'd be fine with it though.

More for Classic Rock, Rockabillyish sounds.

I'd recommend a Killer Ant over it for you by looking at your gear though.
Yea, I'd either:

A. Get a Killer Ant.
B. Wait until the AC4 comes out in May and look into that.

But, the VJ is a pretty good 5W Tube amp.
what is the AC4?
who puts it out?
Main Setup:
Charvel So-Cal

Dunlop Volume
Digitech Tuner
Custom Compressor
VFE Blues King
Ibanez TS9 30th Anniv
Boss DD20
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Hardwire Supernatural

Mesa Single Rec
Vox, 4 Watt Practice amp.

To be honest, you'd be more than happy with a Roland Microcube. 6 different models, Reverb/Delay, Tremolo/Chorus/Flanger/Phaser built in, tone knob... And it is either battery powered or wall powered for carrying around. Really rough and tumble, comes in red/white/black... And it's only $130.00
Quote by AcousticLesPaul
Vox, 4 Watt Practice amp.

To be honest, you'd be more than happy with a Roland Microcube. 6 different models, Reverb/Delay, Tremolo/Chorus/Flanger/Phaser built in, tone knob... And it is either battery powered or wall powered for carrying around. Really rough and tumble, comes in red/white/black... And it's only $130.00

i looked it up.
what kind of wattage does it have?
is it tube or solid?
Main Setup:
Charvel So-Cal

Dunlop Volume
Digitech Tuner
Custom Compressor
VFE Blues King
Ibanez TS9 30th Anniv
Boss DD20
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Hardwire Supernatural

Mesa Single Rec
Quote by eteam_sammy4him
i looked it up.
what kind of wattage does it have?
is it tube or solid?

You probably won't be able to tell the difference between tube and solid state. Tube amplifiers provide a warmer tone the longer they are left on, are more expensive because you hate to replace tubes, and sound MUCH louder(They actually aren't louder...) than solid state amps... Combine that with the the fact that cranked tube amps sound better... Judging by your gear, you haven't been playing very long - if you want a tube sound, I'd recommend a Valvetronix.

It is 2watts. It can still be loud enough to hear outside of your house and rattle windows. It is by no means a super quiet amp. I have one for practicing because it is basically everything built into one box.
okay, yea, ive only been playing since early may 2008.
i also chencked out the roland 20X Cube, a little more expensive,
but more wattage.
is it worth it?
Main Setup:
Charvel So-Cal

Dunlop Volume
Digitech Tuner
Custom Compressor
VFE Blues King
Ibanez TS9 30th Anniv
Boss DD20
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Hardwire Supernatural

Mesa Single Rec
Quote by AcousticLesPaul
You probably won't be able to tell the difference between tube and solid state. Tube amplifiers provide a warmer tone the longer they are left on, are more expensive because you hate to replace tubes, and sound MUCH louder(They actually aren't louder...) than solid state amps... Combine that with the the fact that cranked tube amps sound better... Judging by your gear, you haven't been playing very long - if you want a tube sound, I'd recommend a Valvetronix.

It is 2watts. It can still be loud enough to hear outside of your house and rattle windows. It is by no means a super quiet amp. I have one for practicing because it is basically everything built into one box.

What? I hope your not talking about the AC4?
Quote by ML_Guitar09
What? I hope your not talking about the AC4?

No, the Microcube...

The Roland Cube line is all ****, except for the Microcube.
The cubes are awesome, I've got a 30X and an EVJ, personally, the tone on the EVJ is sooooooooo sick for what I do, just make sure you've got a good eq. W/o that its rather bassy, and it's not up to its full potential. The only down side is no high volume cleans, not really a big concern for me though, seeing as I dont play clean too much. The cube is super versatile, but I've heard its bad w/ pedals (I havnt actually tried). But it all depends on your style
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

The VJ is probably the best low cost pedal platform out there. Mine will do anything with my POD XT Live. Amp modeling turns this thing into an animal.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
I like mine.
Not really for metal though, and only really versatile if you have a tubescreamer and a EQ pedal like I use through it.

Great little amp! Cheap as chips too!
My Gear:
Jackson RR3 + Bill Lawrence L500XL

Sennheiser EW500 Wireless
T-bone EWS wireless
IbanezTS9
MXR 6Band EQ
Ibanez WD7
Decimator

Peavey VK100
Epiphone ValveJunior
Kustom Quad100DFX 2x12
MicroCube!
Marshall 1960A 4 x 12
Quote by AcousticLesPaul

???????????????????????????
the vj is a cool little tube amp i have a modded head and cab...........but be warned it needs pedals to sound GOOD. OD and EQ for sure. you might want to wait till april when the blackstar ht-5 is released i have my eye on one.
Quote by AcousticLesPaul

1) Stop being such a pretentious dick. I'm pretty sure the threadstarter would be able to tell the difference between a nice tube amp and a solid state amp.

2) Replacing tubes aren't that expensive, and it's done at least every two months, so it's hardly anything to worry about. When your tube amp dies, you'll probably have to replace the tubes. When your solid state amp dies, you'll have to buy a new amp.

3) Again, stop being such a pretentious dick. Why would he want a new amp if he already has good gear?

4) I'm assuming you've never played a Valvetronix. My friend's Valvetronix dimed wouldn't even knock things off shelves. So stop acting like you know it all.

The Valve Junior is a good amp for classic rock and blues kinda stuff. Not really good for metal or anything heavy in general, but it can be boosted by an OD to get it to do that kinda sound, though if you're looking for a metal amp, you should look into something completely different. Also, it wont get over drums without going into overdrive.

Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by rhcp_freak
1) Stop being such a pretentious dick. I'm pretty sure the threadstarter would be able to tell the difference between a nice tube amp and a solid state amp.

2) Replacing tubes aren't that expensive, and it's done at least every two months, so it's hardly anything to worry about. When your tube amp dies, you'll probably have to replace the tubes. When your solid state amp dies, you'll have to buy a new amp.

3) Again, stop being such a pretentious dick. Why would he want a new amp if he already has good gear?

4) I'm assuming you've never played a Valvetronix. My friend's Valvetronix dimed wouldn't even knock things off shelves. So stop acting like you know it all.

The Valve Junior is a good amp for classic rock and blues kinda stuff. Not really good for metal or anything heavy in general, but it can be boosted by an OD to get it to do that kinda sound, though if you're looking for a metal amp, you should look into something completely different. Also, it wont get over drums without going into overdrive.

This!
Quote by rhcp_freak

I have a AD15VT... And yes, dimed, it is loud enough to be heard from a ways away, rattle windows and get neighbors mad. Tubes can get expensive if you gig etc, bring the head around, want to go tube testing, or if you have multiple tubes that all need to be replaced at once. And no, when a tube amp dies, a whole array of things can go wrong... Especially if you run it with no cab attached. With a Squier and a Metalzone, most amps will sound the same... The Valve Junior has no EQ, nothing. So you need to create your own sound with it. A Valvetronix has modeling and effects, and will give him a good sound, as well as built in effects. I have friends who have been playing for quite awhile, and they still use Valvetronix. No need to be calling me a pretentious dick, either. I had a Valve Junior and hated it. Returned it for a Blackheart Little Giant, which I still have.

Last edited by AcousticLesPaul at Jan 25, 2009,
Quote by AcousticLesPaul
No, the Microcube...

The Roland Cube line is all ****, except for the Microcube.

whatt!!!!!! the cube 30x and the 60 are great amps for the price

and stop being a fckn know it all.
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
whatt!!!!!! the cube 30x and the 60 are great amps for the price

and stop being a fckn know it all.

I am only speaking out of experience... They aren't the greatest, even out of all the solid state modeling amps. They ARE really durable though
Quote by AcousticLesPaul
I have a AD15VT... And yes, dimed, it is loud enough to be heard from a ways away, rattle windows and get neighbors mad. Tubes can get expensive if you gig etc, bring the head around, want to go tube testing, or if you have multiple tubes that all need to be replaced at once. And no, when a tube amp dies, a whole array of things can go wrong... Especially if you run it with no cab attached. With a Squier and a Metalzone, most amps will sound the same... The Valve Junior has no EQ, nothing. So you need to create your own sound with it. A Valvetronix has modeling and effects, and will give him a good sound, as well as built in effects. I have friends who have been playing for quite awhile, and they still use Valvetronix. No need to be calling me a pretentious dick, either. I had a Valve Junior and hated it. Returned it for a Blackheart Little Giant, which I still have.

No.

I have a Laney VC30. The only way that thing rattles windows is with it on 8. Even though I have played a dimed AD15 at my friend's house, just from having the VC30 on 8 to get it to rattle windows is proof enough that the AD15 would never be able to do it.

Anyone dumb enough to run a head without a cab deserves a messed up amp.

Wrong. A Squier on a good tube amp sounds better than a Fender American Stratocaster on a bad amp. The only reason you think they sound the same is because you run a Metal Zone, which sounds about as good as kicking a dog down a flight of stairs.

Modelling does not sound good. Sure, it'll reproduce the tone you're after, but it wont sound good enough. The threadstarter would just be wasting his money buying a Valvetronix.

To be quite honest, I really do think that you're a pretentious dick who has no ear for tone and no idea what you're talking about. Also, from your posts in other threads, I can tell that you base your information off Harmony Central reviews, and pretending that you're being sarcastic to cover up your own fail. I advise you to go away from a while, then come back when you've finally got your head out of your ass.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by rhcp_freak
No.

I have a Laney VC30. The only way that thing rattles windows is with it on 8. Even though I have played a dimed AD15 at my friend's house, just from having the VC30 on 8 to get it to rattle windows is proof enough that the AD15 would never be able to do it.

Anyone dumb enough to run a head without a cab deserves a messed up amp.

Wrong. A Squier on a good tube amp sounds better than a Fender American Stratocaster on a bad amp. The only reason you think they sound the same is because you run a Metal Zone, which sounds about as good as kicking a dog down a flight of stairs.

Modelling does not sound good. Sure, it'll reproduce the tone you're after, but it wont sound good enough. The threadstarter would just be wasting his money buying a Valvetronix.

To be quite honest, I really do think that you're a pretentious dick who has no ear for tone and no idea what you're talking about. Also, from your posts in other threads, I can tell that you base your information off Harmony Central reviews, and pretending that you're being sarcastic to cover up your own fail. I advise you to go away from a while, then come back when you've finally got your head out of your ass.

this !!!!!!!
go home acoustic lespaul
and dont you know that some noobs without any experience writes reviews on HC.
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Lol?

I have no metal zones, I have been playing guitar for a longass time. Modeling is good for practice amps - lets you plug in and play... My "friend" has all the Valvetronix's too, and I can also base my opinions off of my "friend"... Or, I could base my opinion off of the fact that I have owned, or currently own, the gear I recommend, or the gear I say is bad. We all also have our own definitions of loud. No **** a squier through a $1000.00 Tube Amp sounds better than a American Stratocaster through a Windsor. Thats not what we are talking about. Seriously, stop arguing with me. This is why I try to stay away from Ultimate-Guitar... With your DS-1's and Marshall MG's, and Zakk Wylde Les Pauls.
Last edited by AcousticLesPaul at Jan 25, 2009,
Quote by rhcp_freak

x60

Threadstarter: Heres the deal. I have a vjr and use it with great pleasure in the rehearsal, and honestly I couldnt be happier, Its not too big a head to carry around, it is not to expensive to bash around, its tone cant be beat for the price, and really talking tone it should be alot more expensive imo. That is when coupled with a nice cab. Dont buy the 8" combo version and expect to get good sound. I myself use a 2x12 cab with vintage 30 speakers. These you can come across pretty cheaply and the vjr will shine for you through that. But as been said, getting 100% cleans can sometimes not be possible, Though for most songs I am able to actually get very "clean" cleans over the drummer, but again usually in the songs where the drummer plays all hes got I play overdriven anyways. So take your genres and typical "role" in the band into consideration; if your mostly about all cleans, a fender blues junior might be for you. But still try it out, 5 watts are WAY louder than most people imagine.
Aside from the possible clean issues, the vjr is one shiny little head. It does overdriven sounds very great( again good speakers are key here) String seperation is very good, and youll find that you can actually play more complex chords than just the tired old 5s(powerchords) and still get good clarity while overdriven; a feature many amps even more expensive ones lack. Throw a nice tubescreamer like pedal in front of it or a boost and youll get wonderful lead tones. I can give the small vjr head the warmest recommendations, but there is a downside. There is no built in reverb, so when on a budget, this should be considered, as you really do need a verb to make most songs sound right, and to add depth and warmth. Here I can recommend you the line 6 verbzilla. Outstanding, and really makes the vjr shine. Though it does cost about as much as the head itself. So´bare in mind that the seemingly cheap 150 dollar head, will set you back a good 350-450 before youre there. But then you will have a great setup that imo wont be matched for the price.
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat
T-rex F.T.
Practice:
Epi vjr head
2x12 V30 cab and 4x10 G10 cab
Quote by AcousticLesPaul
Lol?

I have no metal zones, I have been playing guitar for a longass time. Modeling is good for practice amps - lets you plug in and play... My "friend" has all the Valvetronix's too, and I can also base my opinions off of my "friend"... Or, I could base my opinion off of the fact that I have owned, or currently own, the gear I recommend, or the gear I say is bad. We all also have our own definitions of loud. No **** a squier through a $1000.00 Tube Amp sounds better than a American Stratocaster through a Windsor. Thats not what we are talking about. Seriously, stop arguing with me. This is why I try to stay away from Ultimate-Guitar... With your DS-1's and Marshall MG's, and Zakk Wylde Les Pauls.

A squier will most definately sound better through a high end tube amp, than an american strat through a not so great amp.
You my dear sir, seem very ignorant on the subjects which you discuss, no offense.
I happen to have what people would call high end gear, but also have some gear that people tend to qualify as crap. Ill tell you that my cheap 200 dollar stagg les paul copy through my marshall handwired heaad sounds tremendously better than my 2600 dollar gibson standard through say my older bugera amp (and bugeras arent even half bad).

Another thing that shows ignorance is the fact that you seem to see the american standard as soo much better than a squier. Imo you are safer buying an american made model, and you do get better pickups, sure, but really I have played many squiers and certainly mexican fenders that were far superior to some americans, in terms og build qulity, finish, neck/fret smoothnes, and for the huge savings you make you can buy pickups superior to those of the AS and still have a cheaper instrument; Today it is really all about the people at the factory assembly line on the day the guitar is made. Their mood, the skills of the guy on work that day, how much he cares for his job etc etc.

Anyways. Stop judging and being clever, and start playing

Oh and you say you are trying to stay away from UG; judging from the amount of posts you've made just in this thread, youre not doing a very good job at that:P
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat
T-rex F.T.
Practice:
Epi vjr head
Quote by nightraven
i think it's time AcousticLesPaul hopped back to the harmony central forums, you've had a good day's trolling today, now gtfo and take your hefty rig (most of which is garbage) with you. it's blatantly obvious that you haven't a clue about anything to do with guitar. let's ignore this guy and get the thread back on track.

-------------------

threadstarter, it's a cool half stack but you should consider getting an EQ pedal and a reverb of some sort together with it (this applies to the combo version as well if you consider towards that instead, which i'd advise).

good call. Why do you advice the combo though? It sounds so thin and boxy, whereas the head with a nice speaker or two will sound so deep and full In my experience though
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat
T-rex F.T.
Practice:
Epi vjr head
nice, but it's really made to be modded.

also, stock it's very much a one-trick pony. unless you're willing and able to mod it, there's not much point in getting one unless the one trick it does is exactly what you want.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by chrisdam
good call. Why do you advice the combo though? It sounds so thin and boxy, whereas the head with a nice speaker or two will sound so deep and full In my experience though

Actually there are certain toes to the combo I like better then the head/cab. (I have both). but overall I agree with you. I use the head alot more then the combo. Like you say though, put a couple hundred worth of pedals and it can't be beat for the price. I can't think of a $450 amp i'd rather have over a loaded VJ.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by scott58
Actually there are certain toes to the combo I like better then the head/cab. (I have both). but overall I agree with you. I use the head alot more then the combo. Like you say though, put a couple hundred worth of pedals and it can't be beat for the price. I can't think of a $450 amp i'd rather have over a loaded VJ.

Me neither except maybe a blues junior if you were an all clean guy. But vjr overdrive is so tasty:P
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat
T-rex F.T.
Practice:
Epi vjr head
My experiences with the Valve Jr. left me feeling it's shit. All I could get from it stock was a harsh, farty and muddy crunch. Owned two, modded one, left the other stock, sold both. Had to mod quite a ways from the VJ circuit to get something I actually could use. Perhaps I'm just too picky, seems I'm one of the few that can't stand the VJ.
Last edited by Whole Lotta Led at Jan 26, 2009,
Quote by Whole Lotta Led
My experiences with the Valve Jr. left me feeling it's shit. All I could get from it stock was a harsh, farty and muddy crunch. Owned two, modded one, left the other stock, sold both. Had to mod quite a ways from the VJ circuit to get something I actually could use. Perhaps I'm just too picky, seems I'm one of the few that can't stand the VJ.

I dont think youre more picky than most of us I know I am so picky that I wouldnt use most of the amps you find in most shops. What speakers did you use? If you had the combo I dont blame you, it sounds ****e About it being muddy thats the weirdest part of your description. The string seperation ability is one of the best traits it has from my experience what setup did you use?
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat
T-rex F.T.
Practice:
Epi vjr head
Both were heads. I went through 2 different speakers in a 1x12 I had, first with a Vintage 30 and then with a G12H30. The H30 was marginally better. I actually bought the H30 thinking the Vintage 30 was the problem, it was just part of it. Then I had a 2x12 briefly that was loaded with two Eminence Private Jacks. Same result just a muddy sound, harsh top end, flabby and farty low end. I ended up adding a 6SJ7 in the preamp and EL34 to the one I modded. A number of other things were changed as well including the output transformer. It really wasn't a VJ at that point.

The funny thing is is I've played a lot other small single ended amps which just looking at a schematic aren't much different from a VJ, biggest difference on paper being which power tube was being used, most of them sounded great and nothing like the VJ. Even my current amp is just a small singled ended amp, it's similar to a Champ. Complete 180 of the tones I got from a VJ though.
Wow, my experience is vastly different.

Guitar>Wampler superplextortion>MXR 108>POD XT Live>V3VJr. It's a low watt anything amp now. Plexi stuff is great, works well with almost all the amp models. SLO 100, Hi-Watt, Bassman etc. My Cab is also the weak link at this point. Gets a bit buzzy at the low frequencies so I'm limited to a certain amount of bass, but i can dial it out with the MXR. Plug a POD into a VJ and you'll never look at another modeling amp. The only thing I notice now is how volume sensitive it is. get to far away from 10 on the guitar and it flattens the tone. Volume adjustments at the POD have very little effect so that is my main volume control. Use to keep the VJ pretty much at the 12 o'clock position, but since I added the Plextortion it's between 10 and 11 and still gets louder then bedroom requirements.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by scott58
Wow, my experience is vastly different.

Guitar>Wampler superplextortion>MXR 108>POD XT Live>V3VJr. It's a low watt anything amp now. Plexi stuff is great, works well with almost all the amp models. SLO 100, Hi-Watt, Bassman etc. My Cab is also the weak link at this point. Gets a bit buzzy at the low frequencies so I'm limited to a certain amount of bass, but i can dial it out with the MXR. Plug a POD into a VJ and you'll never look at another modeling amp. The only thing I notice now is how volume sensitive it is. get to far away from 10 on the guitar and it flattens the tone. Volume adjustments at the POD have very little effect so that is my main volume control. Use to keep the VJ pretty much at the 12 o'clock position, but since I added the Plextortion it's between 10 and 11 and still gets louder then bedroom requirements.

What do you think of the amp on it's own though, no pedals? I could manage decent tones out of the VJ clean with a Box of Rock clone in front of it. Can't stand it on it's own though.
Quote by Whole Lotta Led
What do you think of the amp on it's own though, no pedals? I could manage decent tones out of the VJ clean with a Box of Rock clone in front of it. Can't stand it on it's own though.

It's limited on it's own and I rarely plug straight in. A good EQ is a minimum requirement in my opinion. I actually like the combo better for that, But after trying (and buying) a few modeling amps i wasn't happy. Tones were just ok. I just lucked into the Vj when my G/F wanted to learn how to play and figured I order this little tube combo. Out of curiosity I plugged my POD into it. I liked it so much better then what I had. I ordered the head/cab for me within 20 minutes of plugging in and haven't looked back. I was thinking of upgrading to a blues Jr until i got the Wampler pedal and that was a Rolls Royce upgrade for the POD. No need to upgrade at all now. I'm more versatile then i could have ever imagined and it sounds great. Only thing left to do now is the cab. Pedals is what makes the Vj great for me. Anybody running around wondering if this pedal or that pedal will go great with their cube, vypyer, valvetronix, etc should have gotten a VJ in the first place in my opinion.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by scott58
It's limited on it's own and I rarely plug straight in. A good EQ is a minimum requirement in my opinion. I actually like the combo better for that, But after trying (and buying) a few modeling amps i wasn't happy. Tones were just ok. I just lucked into the Vj when my G/F wanted to learn how to play and figured I order this little tube combo. Out of curiosity I plugged my POD into it. I liked it so much better then what I had. I ordered the head/cab for me within 20 minutes of plugging in and haven't looked back. I was thinking of upgrading to a blues Jr until i got the Wampler pedal and that was a Rolls Royce upgrade for the POD. No need to upgrade at all now. I'm more versatile then i could have ever imagined and it sounds great. Only thing left to do now is the cab. Pedals is what makes the Vj great for me. Anybody running around wondering if this pedal or that pedal will go great with their cube, vypyer, valvetronix, etc should have gotten a VJ in the first place in my opinion.

+1......................here is the speaker for you ton's of bottom end!!
http://professional.celestion.com/guitar/products/classic/detail.asp?ID=32
i just hate the brutal tube changes on theVJ all 2 min of hard labor.
Quote by Whole Lotta Led
Both were heads. I went through 2 different speakers in a 1x12 I had, first with a Vintage 30 and then with a G12H30. The H30 was marginally better. I actually bought the H30 thinking the Vintage 30 was the problem, it was just part of it. Then I had a 2x12 briefly that was loaded with two Eminence Private Jacks. Same result just a muddy sound, harsh top end, flabby and farty low end. I ended up adding a 6SJ7 in the preamp and EL34 to the one I modded. A number of other things were changed as well including the output transformer. It really wasn't a VJ at that point.

The funny thing is is I've played a lot other small single ended amps which just looking at a schematic aren't much different from a VJ, biggest difference on paper being which power tube was being used, most of them sounded great and nothing like the VJ. Even my current amp is just a small singled ended amp, it's similar to a Champ. Complete 180 of the tones I got from a VJ though.

They must be different then maybe there are several editions of it? who knows. But mine sounds marvelous and such a plexi-jtm like overdrive oh well, guess its with this all other gear these days, they vary greatly in quality. So try before you buy
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat
T-rex F.T.
Practice:
Epi vjr head
There are different versions. V2 had the mismatched output transformer and low input impedance. V3 has the proper output transformer and high input impedance (which was a common mod everyone did on V2). V3 also had the preamp cathode resistors lowered to 1.5k.

Plexi like is really the last thing I thought of, guess everyone hears things differently