HAi ther! Itz me agen!

Why is berklee so popular? as far as i know steve vai and petruccie came from there so thats 1 point, but asside from that, what else is there to that university (or college?) compared to the others?

Thankzz
Actually Petrucci dropped out of Berkeley. But to answer your question in simplest terms, it's supposed to be a good school.
It's popular amongst guitarists...

because it markets to guitarists. It most definitely is not 'the Harvard of the arts' or 'the best music school ever' or any such superlative.
Quote by Erc
It's popular amongst guitarists...

because it markets to guitarists. It most definitely is not 'the Harvard of the arts' or 'the best music school ever' or any such superlative.

Is there such thing as a best music school ever?
Because it's a good school with a good reputation. It's a far stretch for the poor bastards like me who live in New Zealand and would have to pay the price of a house to go there, but it sounds good. Anything gotta be better than the poor excuse for music schools we have here.
Quote by dmirtygorachyov

That's like asking is there such a thing as a best physics school ever. There's not really one answer but there's always a "top tier".

And it can get more complicated than just choosing a "music school" as well-- if you're interested in learning about post-tonal theory and 12-tone music, you might not necessarily find yourself in the same place as the Deadhead that wants to transcribe Jerry Garcia solos for a living or a trombonist dead set on starting the world's best New Orleans brass ensemble. Some music departments can cater to a wider range of interests than others, while some rather narrow programs offer the most in-depth education in a smaller field. Don't go to a nationally ranked conservatory expecting to learn rock and roll, you know?

So what are some of the best music schools? The short list for the east coast is Eastman (Rochester), Juliard (NY), and Berklee (Boston).

I've had the pleasure of playing with and learning from students or alumni from all 3, and the jazz guys from Berklee are insane. The school is really nice and modern, and they've got a history of turning out great rock guitarists as well. Definitely a school to look into if you've got the chops and the dedication to stick with it.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...
It's one of the few music schools that actually caters to rock guitar.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by dmirtygorachyov

Yeah, it's called Joe Satriani.
Because it's famous among rock guitarists.

Because it caters to a large variety of styles (or so I've heard).

Because many famous guitarists have gone to and/or graduated from there.

Because it's image is more modern compared to something like Juliard, which is still very classical-oriented.
Quote by chimneyfish
"death-metal is the best when its in the shape of a dildo and shoved in my ass"

Born to lose...
!!!!!!!!!!!!!
...live to Win

Of course not. In fact, anyone's choice of music school should never be based upon reputation, but rather on whatever the current faculty members may be.
Quote by Erc
Of course not. In fact, anyone's choice of music school should never be based upon reputation, but rather on whatever the current faculty members may be.

But the reputation of a good university might help you get jobs because it just seems more impressive to have a degree from Berkley than from some unknown university.

That's sometimes why some universities (eg. Oxbridge) are not only better because the standard is higher but because people think the standard is higher.
Popular for reasons above, but -

Quote by david_highland
Actually Petrucci dropped out of Berkeley. But to answer your question in simplest terms, it's supposed to be a good school.

So did Vai, acshually.

It seems the trick is to go and then make sure you don't get a qualification.
Quote by Freepower
Popular for reasons above, but -

So did Vai, acshually.

It seems the trick is to go and then make sure you don't get a qualification.
Oh yeah, I've dropped out of berklee, juliard, Box hill, the third school of post electronic expressionist idealism in sweden, sussex and an obscure roman conservatory you've never heard of. My music career is going to be awesome.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
They dropped out, because they found carreers.

Berklee has connections in the music world. Musicbusiness is only 50% or so music. Rest is knowing the people with the cash.

It's from a musical point of view certainly not the most advanced school.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
What I've heard about Berklee is that the top students graduate with a great education and an elite degree. However, the students below that do not. It's not like a place like Harvard (I don't study music in school...math) where the top few students have very well respected degrees but the students below that are still well respected as well.

I've also heard that the middle-of-the-pack students are quite lazy about their studies and spend most of their time on music not related to school. That's great, but it doesn't help you earn your degree.

That's just what I've heard. I've never been to Berklee, I don't know anyone there, and I'm not at all in the music business.
Quote by TSelman
Yeah, it's called Joe Satriani.

Obviously not, seeing as how he taught Kirk Hammett.
I love Joe, but Kirk is a terrible guitar player.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
My friend goes there. He likes it, but is a little dissillusioned. He said that its just overbearing how many guitar players are there. And he said that its really not what everyone cracks it up to be.
*Official Deadhead*

The times they are a-changin'
Quote by trey-col89
My friend goes there. He likes it, but is a little dissillusioned. He said that its just overbearing how many guitar players are there. And he said that its really not what everyone cracks it up to be.

I would imagine that's true.
It's the same with people who want to move to LA to try to make it; unfortunately the amount of bands out there all trying to make it is just ungodly.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
He said theres alot of annoying metalheads (not saying all metalheads are annoying) that snub everything that isn't what they listen to or play. He also said theres a lot of guitarists who aren't that great, and all the great players only play with the other great players and its hard to find bandmates that can elevate you and satisfy what you're trying to do within the context of a musical group.

People just have this common misconception about Berklee that its like a mecca for musicians, you know, like you get in there and all of a sudden you're a credible musician thats ready to get out in the world and be the next rock star, but its really not. There are pleanty of better music schools out there. Most people hear about guys like John Mayer, Dream Theater, Al Dimeola, Steve Vai and all these guys who went to Berklee who they look up to and listen to and think that if they can get to Berklee, they will be just like them. Theres pleanty of great musicians around that don't have degrees from Berklee, or even any music degrees at all, but that doesn't make them any less credible than someone who goes to Berklee.

If you want to become a great musician, thats only within yourself. No amount of classes or lessons you can get for 50,000 dollars at Berklee or any other music school can teach you to be a good musician. Sure, classes or lessons will help you understand why music is what it is, but if you don't have it, and by it, I mean that extra thing that makes a musician unique or great, Berklee won't help you get it.
*Official Deadhead*

The times they are a-changin'