I find myself in need of a small, portable amp with excellent cleans for jazz band at college. My all time favorite clean tone comes from a Roland JC-120, but I really want to try my hand at building. I have seen tons of info on building tube amps, but very little on SS intended for GUITAR. Does anyone know of any good sites/forums with good info on building SS guitar amps?

Also, please don't flame me for going with SS this one time. I have five nice tube amps, but I don't think glowing glass bottles are the answer to everything.
Epiphone Valve Junior
Peavy Windsor Head
Ampeg J-12T
1959 Harmony H400A
Randall Pro-Tube 2000

Gibson Faded Special SG
Homemade superstrat with EMG 81
Peavy Tracer
Washburn XB600 6-string bass
Enough pedals to crush a rhino
I'm not really sure that this site has what you're looking for, but it's a thought. I'm not very knowledgeable about SS amps, but it looks like there is enough there that you could hash out something you like. Good luck man!
ruby/jem amps.
google it sir.
'tis be a good starting amp.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
I really doubt the Ruby or a takeoff is going to suite your needs. I've done one before and it's definately a great starting point thought! Perhaps if you're totally new to electronics, that would be a good VERY basic project to get you moving in the right direction.
Ive buit a ruby, a little jem, a tube ruby, valvecaster, pentadrive (submini tube overdrive), and am building a high watt (240v) 12av6 preamp.

What I need is info on a decent SS guitar amp around 20-50 watts with a focus on cleans.
Epiphone Valve Junior
Peavy Windsor Head
Ampeg J-12T
1959 Harmony H400A
Randall Pro-Tube 2000

Gibson Faded Special SG
Peavy Tracer
As an aside, an LND150 (mosfet or jfet, can't remember which ) made by Supertex (I think), and available at Mouser.com, can be subbed in for most preamp tubes in most schematics...could get you started...
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
Thanks, never heard that.

Only problem is so many of those amps are built with the characteristics of tubes, especially tube breakup, in mind. Instead of a clean amp, I'd wind up with a sterile sounding overdrive with 95% of the designs out there.
Epiphone Valve Junior
Peavy Windsor Head
Ampeg J-12T
1959 Harmony H400A
Randall Pro-Tube 2000

Gibson Faded Special SG
Peavy Tracer
You are familiar with the LM381 if you built a Gem/Ruby.

Look at higher output chips. There are many IC amplifiers out there. I recently bought a bunch of 5W 16 DIP ICs for $1.50 each. On the data sheets for all these ICs it will show you some really practical ideas.

There are 50W ICs out there. Of course getting that output is quite hard, going to be heatsinked really well. That being said 20-30W output is expected, still pretty good.
if you're worried about warmth, build a tube pre (a typical Fender pre should do)...very small transformer for the PT, no OT needed. 1 1amp 12VDC rectifier/regulator should do the trick for the heaters, would warm the tone up a ton w/o getting too heavy/costly.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
I was looking at some of those chip amp designs, but kinda got stuck trying to figure out decent ways to use them in a musical sense, as opposed to just straight amplification.
Epiphone Valve Junior
Peavy Windsor Head
Ampeg J-12T
1959 Harmony H400A
Randall Pro-Tube 2000

Gibson Faded Special SG
Peavy Tracer
Huh?

That's the point of an amplifier, to amplify the signal. I would add some voltage amplifier in front though to shape tone, you can do that as you like, BJTs, FETs, triodes....
Try and fit the circuit from a Power Block into a 90's style ghetto blaster boom box housing. Add some better EQ and maybe integrate a chorus stomp box or something. I'd buy one.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...