Did you notice at NAMM this year, Ibanez introduced so many new RG`s, and for the S, all they did was paint it a different color?

And the S is a better guitar anyway
Agreed.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Quote by lollifesucks
Did you notice at NAMM this year, Ibanez introduced so many new RG`s, and for the S, all they did was paint it a different color?

And the S is a better guitar, for some, anyway
*fixed*

Yes, they're different.

Quote by Ippon
*fixed*

Yes, they're different.

This, and take into account that they do things like this according to sales of the instruments, not which guitar you like better. If you want to see more S series guitars, go buy all the S series guitars you can so they'll release more next year.
We've drained full confession booths, polluted drinking wells with our repentances, and then stood grinning with our arms around the shoulder of a rotting child.

If you resist change, you will be here forever.
Quote by lollifesucks

And the S is a better guitar anyway

Ibanez didn't do much to RGs either. They just put Super Wizards on a bunch of guitars and changed colors.
i dont really like either, but i would take an s over an rg, i cant stand the rg shape, the s just feels weird, and i think that they both lack in versatility
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
mahogany RG > Mahogany S
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
mahogany RG > Mahogany S

Agreed. I would gladly buy all the mahogany RGs in existance so they would release more of them, but I only have enough for a RG321 (maybe an Indo RGA, but I need a 7-string first).

EDIT: actually, I wish Ibanez made a crossover of the RG and the S series. The RGTs are close, but they're not bolt-on and are imo overpriced.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Last edited by aznrockerdude at Jan 24, 2009,
J. Custom RG > Every other Ibanez I've ever played

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Lemoninfluence
mahogany RG > Mahogany S

+1

I'd like to see more 24 frets S.
ಠ_ಠ
I'd like to see some Alder body RG guitars.

Why doesn't Ibanez make Alder guitars? ._.

I understand Basswood is cheaper, but Alder isn't expensive, either.

Otherwise, Ibanez needs to make moar Iceman, or atleast make it available in another color.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Quote by V.U.K

Otherwise, Ibanez needs to make moar Iceman, or atleast make it available in another color.

Because they're similar tonally.

Also, the JEM is alder
Quote by V.U.K

+ 1

I'd like to see them do more with different woods.I wish they started using ebony for their boards more and it'd be nice to get a 1000 USD + instrument that has a set of real dimarzios in it and not the dimarzio/IBZ things.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

the only thing RGs really had going for them over the S series is that they have more wood on them. now they have a thinner neck and better pickups. the only advantage the S has now is its trem.

last year i would say S>RG
now i say S<RG
Quote by no_thing101
the only thing RGs really had going for them over the S series is that they have more wood on them. now they have a thinner neck and better pickups. the only advantage the S has now is its trem.

last year i would say S>RG
now i say S<RG

The Saber's ZR trem can't really be compared to the (older) Edge and its variations. I haven't tried the new Edge Zero though. And the RG always had a thinner neck, I think .
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
The Saber's ZR trem can't really be compared to the (older) Edge and its variations. I haven't tried the new Edge Zero though. And the RG always had a thinner neck, I think .

i know that but the s5470 neck is the same as the OLD ibanez rg prestige necks. it is also used in the lower end rg prestiges.

tbh i havent had the pleasure of wanking a ZR tremolo much so i wouldnt know just how much better it is than an edge zero.
Quote by aznrockerdude

Yeah, but you can't expect Ibanez to keep the Edge Pro much longer. It costs much more to produce than the Edge Zero, and the EZ is a piece of crap.

It's parts are all low quality, and the trem itself doesn't come close to being able to compare to the Edge Pro, Edge and Lo-Pro Edge.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
I was after an s but they arent really any mid range ones, unlike some of the RG prestige so I got and RG1570 which is excellent but has gone up in price about £200 (as a lot of them have)
Quote by Fucking loads of people who were appeasing me in order for me to write
blues_to_thrash, you are the master of epic lulz

My Music

2K11
the s series is a WWWWAAAYYYY better guitar.it has a better design and is really unique. the rg is to traditional.
what's amazing about the S-series is the thinness of the body. the downside of course is the thickness of the tone, but mahogany wood makes up for it. not sure about that tremolo though... i have one with a licensed floyd and it stays in tune very well.

they should offer the S with HSH config and maple neck, good wood, wizard 2 neck, and SD pickups.

RG wins because it's ibanez' les paul. s series could be compared to the SG - still very good, and many prefer it, but it isn't an argument which one is better.
It's all about feel
Quote by hopespaul
what's amazing about the S-series is the thinness of the body. the downside of course is the thickness of the tone, but mahogany wood makes up for it. not sure about that tremolo though... i have one with a licensed floyd and it stays in tune very well.

they should offer the S with HSH config and maple neck, good wood, wizard 2 neck, and SD pickups.

RG wins because it's ibanez' les paul. s series could be compared to the SG - still very good, and many prefer it, but it isn't an argument which one is better.

+1 to everything.

Good analogy too.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by kneeseb
the s series is a WWWWAAAYYYY better guitar.it has a better design and is really unique. the rg is to traditional.

Better design how?
I find them more comfortable for the arms and stuff, however, the sustain can be awful, the tone isn't really thin like some would expect but this may be because mahogany is a denser wood.
Anyway, the trem on the S and the trem on the RGs (well not on the ones that have the same Edge Zero trem) are different too, the ZR/ZRII are more subtle and less for the crazier stuff that the Edge and Edge Pro are for.
The newer S series beat most of the new RG's however the older Ibanez models from the 80's - 90's are truely Ibanez's peak of guitar making.

The RG550 is fookin awesome! and any of the rarer JEM models such as the PMC / GMC really are amazing instruments again looking at the rarer Japanese models the J Custom series has been pretty much flawless until 2006. When they ran out of ideas ... generally applies to the whole spectrum of instruments though.

For example i got my JCRG 1702 [made in 1998] from Ebay and it;s the best guitar i've EVER played...

So if you're after a really good Ibanez I suggest going for an older model RG but if you're into buying new i'd probably go for an S
Last edited by Zanon at Jan 27, 2009,
they should bring back the Double Edge Series
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
Quote by Zanon
The newer S series beat most of the new RG's

[Lot of text+ a picture]

So if you're after a really good Ibanez I suggest going for an older model RG but if you're into buying new i'd probably go for an S

I'm going to have to disagree with you here, I find that 2009 is a much better year for RGs, there's the orange/yellow model and the blue model which have the Edge Pro rather than the Edge Zero, there's the PGM100 RI there's the RGs with the yellow pickups (delicious) and the change to ACTUAL DiMarzios in some of the prestige ones, where there's like 3 new S series.
Where since the Edge Pro has been introduced the RG series has pretty much stayed at a good point, but not the best point (pickups that people were fine to get rid of, Edge Pro which was classed as a "best" trem, but not as good as the Edge, constant black coours.)
Though the S made a comeback, however, the comeback shot them into the same sorta level as the RGs were at, but the fact they made a big comeback with the ZR tremolo it made them seem to be the better guitars.
The S made it's comeback in around 2006, so it's about 3 years since their comeback, but 2 years AFTER this comeback, Ibanez decided to "fix" the S series with a ZR II and the RG with the Edge Zero.
So I still think they're pretty even.

Though this year some of the RGs are back with the Edge Pro and any of the re-issues have the original edge, though the S will never be put back with the lo-pro edge again which is a shame.

So I'm thinkin' the S and RG series are pretty equal in terms of quality nowadays.