Right now I've got an Ibanez GAX70 with stock pickups and a Line 6 Spider III. A lot of people say that the tone from the Spider III is too digital-sounding but at least to my ear it sounds fine. However, I'm not very satisfied with my guitar. I know that people say that the amp is 95% of the tone, but would it be appropriate for me to get a new guitar (I'm thinking either an Epiphone Les Paul Std. or a Standard Strat)?

The thing with me is that a lot of the time I'm not using my amp, which I only use for practice. I'm usually at somebody's house playing their amp because a lot of my friends have nicer equipment than I. However, when I'm alone and practicing I use the Line 6.

I need to figure this out soon so I can plan how much money I want to save.
Quote by stratdud39
how long have yyou been playing, and how often do you practice?

I've been playing for about a year and a half, and how long I practice depends on my work schedule and how much homework I have. Usually an hour a day though.
amp amp amp amp amp amp amp amp amp amp amp amp amp amp amp amp amp amp amp amp
Quote by ccase
amp amp amp amp amp amp amp amp amp amp amp amp amp amp amp amp amp amp amp amp

amp amp amp get an amp!
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I'll kiss you cause
With the birds I'll share
This lonely view
amp, hands down, if you have a job you could get a decent tube amp, and save up for a few more month's, then buy a better guitar.
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
But my point is that I'm perfectly satisfied with the amp and not very satisfied with the guitar. Even if the amp makes most of the difference, is it really that much more important to get a better amp?
Quote by hmbeast
But my point is that I'm perfectly satisfied with the amp and not very satisfied with the guitar. Even if the amp makes most of the difference, is it really that much more important to get a better amp?

yes
The guitar is a very important part of the equation, but listen to these guys. The amp may sound fine to you for now, but soon enough you will want to chuck it out a window. Unless not having a better guitar for the next two months is going to cause you to quit guitar, get a new amp. But if the playability of the guitar is REALLY that bad for you, go ahead and get a new guitar, and get a new amp AS SOON AS POSSIBLE before you want to kill yourself before the digital crap that comes out of it kills your ears.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']
There are people in this world who don't feel it necessary to vomit sunshine 24 hours a day. I'm one of them.

Current Gear
Yamaha EG 112
Esteban American Legacy
Jay Turser JTB-400M
Fender Frontman 212R
Effects
DigitTech RP50
Quote by hmbeast

not really
if the guitar is really annoying you, like it goes out of tune every 2 minutes, and the frets are sharp along the sides of the fret board, then you should get a guitar

get a guitar that is enjoyable to play first if your amp is good enough for now.

i hate when people say get your amp first for every single one of these threads. it wouldnt be worth to upgrade your frontman 15w to a mesa if you have a squire, so its all about the situation.
Quote by michaelbot9000
not really
if the guitar is really annoying you, like it goes out of tune every 2 minutes, and the frets are sharp along the sides of the fret board, then you should get a guitar

get a guitar that is enjoyable to play first if your amp is good enough for now.

i hate when people say get your amp first for every single one of these threads. it wouldnt be worth to upgrade your frontman 15w to a mesa if you have a squire, so its all about the situation.

..actually it would. you do need a new amp, but if your guitar is being a pain then switch that too.
Quote by stratdud39
..actually it would. you do need a new amp, but if your guitar is being a pain then switch that too.

Agreed. Going from a Squier to a Gibson still playing on a fender 15w will make no difference. The mesa will make even the squier sound good.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']
There are people in this world who don't feel it necessary to vomit sunshine 24 hours a day. I'm one of them.

Current Gear
Yamaha EG 112
Esteban American Legacy
Jay Turser JTB-400M
Fender Frontman 212R
Effects
DigitTech RP50
im gonna say guitar. you use the line 6 for PRACTICE, not gigging, or even playing with others. once you need an amp for playing live or recording, then spring for the high dollar tube amp. right now you have a guitar you dont like. get an instrument you like, play on your friends amps like your currently doing, practice on your line6 when you at home and no ones listening to you, then, then when you can, buy the amp.

seriously people, i mean the line 6's do suck, but look at his situation. he's got a better amp to play with besides his amp, but its a beginner level guitar. i upgraded guitars 2 times before shedding my old peavey 110 envoy SS amp for a hot rod deluxe. sure i LOVED the sound upgrade, but playability > sound. if you dont like your instrument your never going to sound good.
Quote by chris024
im gonna say guitar. you use the line 6 for PRACTICE, not gigging, or even playing with others. once you need an amp for playing live or recording, then spring for the high dollar tube amp. right now you have a guitar you dont like. get an instrument you like, play on your friends amps like your currently doing, practice on your line6 when you at home and no ones listening to you, then, then when you can, buy the amp.

seriously people, i mean the line 6's do suck, but look at his situation. he's got a better amp to play with besides his amp, but its a beginner level guitar. i upgraded guitars 2 times before shedding my old peavey 110 envoy SS amp for a hot rod deluxe. sure i LOVED the sound upgrade, but playability > sound. if you dont like your instrument your never going to sound good.

no not really
if you dont like your guitar, then you dont like your guitar.
you should still get a new guitar though. and what amps do you use when your not practicing?
I'd say new amp.When I used to play on an old marshall hybrid everything sounded poor,no matter what guitar I used.yeah,the guitar felt nice and played nice,but the amp made it sound bad.I then threw down the cash to get a Peavey JSX and the difference and sound quality was insane.Now I know that if it sounds bad it's me and not my amp,and that is a very helpful thing.You can have a great playing guitar but if the amp you have translates that quality into poor sound then it's a huge downer IMO.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

The thing is you won't notice the upgrade drastically since you think your amp is good. Now, get a good tube amp and try going back to that Spider. It's like having a HDTV and having to watch something on a SDTV.

Get Amp+1
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
I say buy as many guitars and amps as you can its fun to play around with different sounds.
Quote by RR787
The thing is you won't notice the upgrade drastically since you think your amp is good. Now, get a good tube amp and try going back to that Spider. It's like having a HDTV and having to watch something on a SDTV.

Get Amp+1

but he's gonna have rabbit ears ontop of the hdtv.

TS, i looked at the guitar you have, a friend of mine had one. what dont you like about it? if its the sound, go with an amp first then a guitar, if its the feel/way it plays go with a new guitar, then amp.

btw, what other amp are you using?
If guitar sucks, get a new one, as long as it doesn't make you lose your interest. If guitar doesn't suck, get a new amp.
If your guitar isn't very playable go for a guitar. If it's just the sound you don't like go for the amp.
i feel your pain. i got a pocket pod and a dunlop wah with my squier strat. however my old spider III is now being used solely for the mp3 in to play my ipod through while i play guitar. but thats why i usually just play my sick as hell takamine EG544SC acoustic. haha. i'm getting a guitar first though. the pocket pod may be a good idea for you. cheap but gives you pretty good tone. and you can play through pretty much anything if you have the right cables.
dave matthews might.. just.. be.. god..

Quote by gregs1020
yes, pointing it at your head will send the sound towards your head.

it's the same with guns too, before you go testing that one.
Quote by michaelbot9000
not really

Ummm.....dude, you're completely wrong there.

I have a Frontman 15G and a Squier Affinity Strat. I upgraded my Frontman to a Blackheart Little Giant 1/2 Stack, and now I love both my amp AND guitar!

Squiers really don't suck. Honest.

Now, TS, if you hate your guitar for how it plays, and how uncomfortable it is, then by all means, get a new guitar.

If just don't like the sound, get a new amp.

If you don't like the sound or playability/quality, then get a new, better guitar, and a Peavy Vypyr 15w. They're considered to be some of the best and most sophisticated modelling amps on the market, and they're only $100 US.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Last edited by Natrone at Jan 25, 2009,
you really dont' need to change the amp since its just for practice. as yucky as i find spiders, i feel it'd still be a waste to change it up since you jsut need to make a little bit of noise.

even a REALLY crappy amp still wont' get in the way of an efficient practice routine.

I'd definitely say switch up the guitar. If you're having to fight with it while trying to learn new things, constantly tuning it, just plain depressed about it. then i'd say absolutely..

NEW GUITAR TIME!
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
If your guitar is not suiting you due to the way it feels and plays I would change that first. Having a decent amp and a guitar you can't get on with won't encourage you to play more. You can then buy an amp later.
The guitar is more important to me.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
I you are not happy with the guitar assuming you don't like the way it plays and feels and you have tried other guitars that feel better for you then change the guitar for something that you like more. I would rather have a guitar that feels right for me than a great amp.
Quote by hmbeast
Right now I've got an Ibanez GAX70 with stock pickups and a Line 6 Spider III. A lot of people say that the tone from the Spider III is too digital-sounding but at least to my ear it sounds fine. However, I'm not very satisfied with my guitar. I know that people say that the amp is 95% of the tone, but would it be appropriate for me to get a new guitar (I'm thinking either an Epiphone Les Paul Std. or a Standard Strat)?

The thing with me is that a lot of the time I'm not using my amp, which I only use for practice. I'm usually at somebody's house playing their amp because a lot of my friends have nicer equipment than I. However, when I'm alone and practicing I use the Line 6.

I need to figure this out soon so I can plan how much money I want to save.

Please don't buy the Epiphone on general principal, they're cheap and worthless. Definitely get a new amp, anything you put through a Spider III is going to sound ****. Whilst the GAX isn't the best line of guitars, a lot of tone could be rectified with a new amp. I won't recommend anything because I'm using a Laney linebacker bass amp... I've played loads of high end marshalls and would recommend them but they just cost way too much.

(I'll sell my Spider to anyone in the UK for £50, hahaha)
Last edited by DEATHPANDA at Jan 25, 2009,