umm im not sure if they have a thread on this but i was wondering how much money guitar center made on those idiots who buy their guitars there. So i decided to make a list of how much it costs to make a certain guitar and how much it costs to buy them. I went on to a website called warmoth direct and got prices for bodies. I went on ebay for necks, bridges and tremelos. After a few hours I decided to make this list on how much you will lose if you go to guitar center.

Stratocaster. Price at guitar center $999.99
price to make about $560

telecaster: price at guitar center $956.99
price to make about $570

Les Paul: guitar center $1,899
price to make $680

Jackson Randy Rhoads: at guitar center $1,400
price to make $650

Gibson SG: at guitar center $1,500
price to make $650

Most basswood and mahogany ibanez and jackson with floyd rose and emgs:
price to make basswood $570
price to make mahogany$625

most Flying V's and explorers
price to make $675

Im still not sure why im doing this thread; i guess im just bored. Seriously everything on tv right now is a repeat

ok well thats it i guess
and time to make?
Quote by HaKattack
Woman tone, eh?

Set treble to PUT THE TOILET SEAT DOWN WHEN YOU'RE DONE
Mids to YOU'RE DRIVING TOO FAST
Bass to WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "MAKE ME A SANDWICH"?
Gain to NOT TONIGHT, I HAVE A HEADACHE.

starter of the nadsat group
call me a fanboy, but i dont think i could have done the finish and generally just put everything together as well as Gibson did.
------------
Gibson SG 61 Reissue
Squier Bullet
Peavey Rage 158
Digitech Hot Head
Rocktron Short Timer Delay
Fender Tuner Pedal
There's way to many factors that go into building the guitars that you didn't include. Pickups, paint, electronics, tuning pegs, pick guards, strap buttons ect... You also have to include shipping and the fact that the luthier needs to make a profit.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc

Hi 5 man! this is what Im talkin bout!

Rig:
05' B.C. Rich Warlock
Line 6 Spide III 75 Watt Combo
Behringer Cry Babe
Digitech Death Metal
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Rodam Cables
D'aDarrio XL
Chain for a strap
Well, You aren't just paying for the materials. You are paying for the labor it takes to build them and inspect and every other part of the company. Then, the rest is just profit. If you expect them to sell it to you for zero profit, you're crazy!
did you factor in finishing? time(time is not free)? all the little odds and ends, and the high quality parts that you would get with a $1000 instrument? not the cheapest tuners, cheapest bridges, etc. you also(well should) get a perfect fit with the high end guitars, where as buying in pieces will leave some adjustments to be made since not every neck and body are identical. im not saying that building is more expensive, but i think your forgetting some costs.
I think he's talking about making it yourself.

Yeah, if you're building to sell you have overhead costs and you need to turn a profit. That's why well known custom brands are very expensive.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Øttər
I think he's talking about making it yourself.

Yeah, if you're building to sell you have overhead costs and you need to turn a profit. That's why well known custom brands are very expensive.

yeah building for yourself, if your gonna compare a $1000 guitar to a home built one, you need the same quality.
yeah, and a home built one is better than a factory one if you know what you're doing.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
i would argue that if an experienced luthier built you a les paul style guitar it would be better then a gibson les paul off the shelf.

anyways, assuming you do make a guitar, it would probably cost only a bit less then a store bought one, its fairly even. the advantage to you doing it yourself is overall quality
Depends how much time you spend on it and what you think your time is worth. Its nice to be able to customize it exactly how you want it and the great feeling you get from playing it for the first time (if its good). Even better if you make your own body...and neck if you can.
Quote by necroscience13
i would argue that if an experienced luthier built you a les paul style guitar it would be better then a gibson les paul off the shelf.

anyways, assuming you do make a guitar, it would probably cost only a bit less then a store bought one, its fairly even. the advantage to you doing it yourself is overall quality

Erm, this all depends on the guitars we are talking about. You can't really do it for cheeper then the low end import guitars because when they buy enough tuners for 10,000 guitars, they get a better deal then when you buy for 1.

Also, his price quotes can't really be applied to the gibson guitars, because gibson guitars are set necks, warmorth only does bolt on, though tonal difference is debatable.

Lets look at a higher end model though, say a hypothetical 2000 dollar guitar. You could buy all the materials to make it for cheaper if you know where to look. You could probably even use better quality parts and do it for cheaper. BUT, if you lack the skills to craft the wood into something equal to this hypothetical guitar, then all you have is a stick with bling on in, thus you have a gangstercaster. If you have the skills though, your guitar will equal to and or better then the store bought one.

Also, you pay a fairly hefty mark up on warmoth parts, but that has to do with why store bought guitars are more expensive, because everybody likes profit. It also takes a fair about of skill and practice and tools to build a guitar worthy of selling, and it takes a fair amount of time. So when you go to buy a custom guitar you are paying for parts + labour + a portion of the overhead + partial cost for all the !@#$ ups the luthier has ever made + profit. Same goes for store bought guitars, plus you are paying for their advertising, :P.

So yeah, you can personally make a guitar for cheaper if you have the skills.
I just got done building a guitar that's similar to a T5, without all their fancy pickup systems but with a piezo in the bridge and I might throw a tele neck pickup in it. But, I built it for around 250 bucks out of mahogany, bloodwood, and padouk. Also, I put on a figured Claro Walnut top.

For the money.... I'll build my own guitars.