Hey everyone.

Several months back, I picked up a Crate GX-30M amp at a garage sale.

It works great, but I'd like to give it a good cleaning to get the best sound out of it.

I found this written article:
How to Clean a Guitar Amplifier

I also found a video on YouTube:
How to Clean a Guitar Amplifier

I was just curious if this was good advice or not.

Thanks!
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
i just give mine a quick dust and plug in...

i guess the best way to do it is crank it so the dust rattles off...
cleaning it is a good idea if youre worried about saving a small percentage of resale value but it probably wont help the sound much. solid state amps are pretty much bullet proof and dont need too much attention to keep them working well. just dont spill drinks on it or take the cover off and expose the speaker for long periods of time and it will last as long as it has the ability to regardless of how clean it is. theres nothing wrong with keeping it mint for pride of ownership type of deal. im just saying you dont have to take a lot of time to keep it clean if you would rather not.
clean it, sell it for more than you paid for it. I know Spiders and MGs are bashed around these parts, but these Crate amps are the most terrible sound I have heard other than Zoom.
^I wouldn't say crates are the worst. The older crate SS amps were pretty good, the new ones sound a little more artificial and not quite as bland as the newer ones. One advantage Crates have over most low end SS amps is how well they take pedals. Their clean channels are very transparent and allow for the pedal's full flavor to be heard. Something along the lines of a POD works exceptionally well with Crate's amps.

about cleaning....

Word of advice from my personal experience...

Do not armor-all your amp. It looks great but it gets really really slick. If it sits in a flight case all the time this is fine. Otherwise you will increase the chances of dropping it if you don't have the most firm grip on the handle.

But as far as the cleaning tips given, sounds good. Just use some common sense. Don't expose any of the electronics to liquids and avoid spraying directly. If you have any sticky residue, say from stickers, use GOO-Gone. That stuff works great. Avoid using abrasive cleaners or cleaners that leave a residue or some sort of protective barrier (armor all)
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Last edited by MESAexplorer at Jan 24, 2009,
Quote by MESAexplorer
^I wouldn't say crates are the worst. The older crate SS amps were pretty good, the new ones sound a little more artificial and not quite as bland as the newer ones. One advantage Crates have over most low end SS amps is how well they take pedals. Their clean channels are very transparent and allow for the pedal's full flavor to be heard. Something along the lines of a POD works exceptionally well with Crate's amps.

They are the worst I have ever heard. It truely is bees buzzing. It is everything people say about the MG amps but 100% true. No low end, generic terrible tone. The older ones are the worse. Crate is finally making decent amps with some of their newer lines.
Quote by eurotrashed
They are the worst I have ever heard. It truely is bees buzzing. It is everything people say about the MG amps but 100% true. No low end, generic terrible tone. The older ones are the worse. Crate is finally making decent amps with some of their newer lines.

I fully agree with this, the older crate ss amps are terrible.
Not to jack this thread, but say you're getting some dust in a tube head, is it anything to worry about? Or should I whip out the can of air? Especially since two power tubes were removed to lower wattage, so two connectors are exposed.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by al112987
I fully agree with this, the older crate ss amps are terrible.

I will have to find some info on the crate I played from the early 90's. Very nice tone for a crate.

The newer Flexwave series is pretty nice as well.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Shinozoku
Not to jack this thread, but say you're getting some dust in a tube head, is it anything to worry about? Or should I whip out the can of air? Especially since two power tubes were removed to lower wattage, so two connectors are exposed.

You can use it, just don't turn the can upside down or on it's side. Before you use it on the amp it would probably be a good idea to start holding down the spray before you're in the amp to make sure none of the liquid flys out.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio